• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your religion say about sibling relationships

amorphous_constellation

curious on your answer from any angle, whatever your religion is

In the bible, sibling conflict seems pretty evident , which one might not take as a good sign, but are there examples of where it works out? How should siblings relate best, should they keep a respectful distance, or maintain a closeness, even if it seems contrived? In your tradition, is there any mysticism involving the sibling order, about the unique qualities of the firstborn or lastborn etc, for example?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

In the bible, sibling conflict seems pretty evident , which one might not take as a good sign, but are there examples of where it works out? How should siblings relate best, should they keep a respectful distance, or maintain a closeness, even if it seems contrived? In your tradition, is there any mysticism involving the sibling order, about the unique qualities of the firstborn or lastborn etc, for example?

Having problems with your kids?

I hope it all works itself out.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It's vastly recommended not to sell your siblings into slavery. There are other ways to get a nice technicolor dreamcoat.

Jedster

I grew up in a Jewish family(as the youngest child) and the only sibling related thing I remember was on Seder night(Passover) when I ,as the youngest, had to go and open the door for Elijah/Messiah(can't remember which).
It was a little bit scary but also a bit trippy .
(We also had an extra glass of wine for the Guest, which, us youngsters, would watch the whole evening and 'watch' is become diminished :)> )

ETA Thanks for invoking the memory

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's vastly recommended not to sell your siblings into slavery.
It is not slavery. It puts many responsibilities on the first-born. He must be as concerned about the younger siblings as the father is. In my culture, the world runs on mutual respect.

amorphous_constellation

I grew up in a Jewish family(as the youngest child) and the only sibling related thing I remember was on Seder night(Passover) when I ,as the youngest, had to go and open the door for Elijah/Messiah(can't remember which).
It was a little bit scary but also a bit trippy .
(We also had an extra glass of wine for the Guest, which, us youngsters, would watch the whole evening and 'watch' is become diminished :)> )

ETA Thanks for invoking the memory

I see , so don't you think though, that your tradition seems to identify sibling relationships as often being quite tense.. Given this fact, were there any laws or superstitions that the ancient israelites might have had in place that pertained to sibling relations.. was there something in the law section or in the oral tradition for example..

pearl

We did something similar during Advent lighting of the candles followed with the first born offering the prayer for that night.

Jedster

I see , so don't you think though, that your tradition seems to identify sibling relationships as often being quite tense.. Given this fact, were there any laws or superstitions that the ancient israelites might have had in place that pertained to sibling relations.. was there something in the law section or in the oral tradition for example..

Not that I remember. Maybe someone else here does.
(Btw I am not religious now and have forgotten much)

amorphous_constellation

Nothing special about siblings.

No ? Well, siblings are categorically a part of one's family. To me, this seems to indicate that one should probably treat them better than other people, probably even to the point of overlooking flaws and incompatibility. So there's nothing that you've read that sees it along these lines

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

All siblings are equals, the younger ones should respect their elders and the elders ones should be kind to the younger ones. Right, please?
Regards