• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your religion say about how believers should get along with non believers?

Shakeel

To put it another way, judge the sin but not the sinner. Heaven knows I've screwed up a few times in my life. :rolleyes:
As far as I've seen the courts are still judging the sinner as well as the sin. No one seems to have a problem with that.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As far as I've seen the courts are still judging the sinner as well as the sin. No one seems to have a problem with that.
Legally under democratic values, a person may be fined or imprisoned for what they did, not because the judge just didn't like him/her.

What I do find inconsistent along this line is capital punishment when there's the alternative, namely using jails or prisons.

Shakeel

Legally under democratic values, a person may be fined or imprisoned for what they did, not because the judge just didn't like him/her.
That's exactly what judging a person in a religious sense means. It isn't judging them because one doesn't like them, it is judging them because of what they did.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
That's exactly what judging a person in a religious sense means. It isn't judging them because one doesn't like them, it is judging them because of what they did.
I prefer the word "evaluate" to distinguish between the two, as only God should "judge" the entire person, imo. It's sorta my hang-up.;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So do you think there is an extra benefit (as it where) to being a "believer" or would just being a non-believing goody-goody person suffice to get the final reward within one life time?
That is a loaded question. I believe that this life is our only chance to get the reward and that is why this life is so important. I believe that the primary purpose of this life is to know and worship God, love and serve others, and if we waste our time living for self and the world there will be consequences.

40: O MY SERVANT! Free thyself from the fetters of this world, and loose thy soul from the prison of self. Seize thy chance, for it will come to thee no more. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 36

I believe that believers will get the reward of everlasting life, which is nearness to God, in this life and the next life.

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.

As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 345-346

I do not believe that nonbelievers will get the reward, and the punishment will be not getting the reward one could have had.

“He who shall accept and believe, shall receive his reward; and he who shall turn away, shall receive none other than his own punishment.” Gleanings, p. 339

What does your religion say about how believers should get along with non believers?

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

But I tell you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who mistreat you and persecute you, that you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.
Mat. 5:44-45

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
But judging is still not our role as none of us can speak for God unless one is a prophet, and I don't quite qualify. ;)
To put it another way, judge the sin but not the sinner. Heaven knows I've screwed up a few times in my life. :rolleyes:
To me the Bible speaks for God, and we are to judge by using God's recorded judgement on matters.
God says lying, murder, stealing, adultery,etc. is wrong. We are Not to judge God's judgement but accept it.
The 'Judges' of Psalms 82 were Not prophets, but were to use God's judgement as to what was right or wrong.
An un-repentant sinner is judged by the sins he won't repent from.
Any thoughts about 1 Corinthians 5:11-12 ________________

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If your religion says you should get along with all people, a healthy start to putting that into action would be to drop the 'I'm right, and you're wrong', stuff. It sends a contradictory message.
If Abrahamics could understand it. :(