• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your religion say about how believers should get along with non believers?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
In regards to the OP question, in Catholicism we are taught not to judge as that's God's domain, but we do have the right and obligation to evaluate.

Not to judge in what sense?

How is evaluation not a judgment?

When I think of evaluate that means to assess the value of someone, or something.

So perhaps a Catholic can not judge a person's ultimate fate or destiny, but they can evaluate behavior and actions and take precautions. Is that right?

Fallen Prophet

I just want to see where people stand on this matter.

We all have to live in the same world and society. So it's very important to have the best society possible, and obviously that means that believers will always have to find the best way to get along with non believers, and vice versa.
Treat others the way you would want to be treated.

So - I guess a bunch of spankings? ;)

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Treat others the way you would want to be treated...
...and I find the 'Law of Christ' (Galatians 6:2) even goes a step beyond the Golden Rule because Jesus said to love others as he loves us at John 13:34-35. Jesus loved us with a self-sacrificing love.
In other words, we are now to love others MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.........., in Catholicism we are taught not to judge as that's God's domain, but we do have the right and obligation to evaluate.

In Scripture we find 'God's Judgement' is already recorded for all to see as to what is right or wrong in His eyes.
Jesus was speaking about making a 'personal judgement' of another.
In other words, we are Not to impute a bad or wrong motive to others.
Thus, there would be No need to have the right and obligation to evaluate another's personal motives.
The right and obligation would enter the picture when God's recorded Judgement on matters is being ignored.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Nope. There's no punishment or reward awaiting me after death. There's no consequence for non-belief from others as well............
I find Scripture agrees with the ^ above^ because as with dead Adam there was No post-mortem punishment for dead Adam, No double jeopardy for dead Adam. Dead Adam simply went back to the dust of the ground - Genesis 3:19
Because Jesus taught 'sleep' in death there is No post-death consequence for either belief nor non-belief. ALL sleep.
Jesus was well educated in the OT, and both Jesus and the OT teach unconscious sleep in death.
( - John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5 )
However, the Bible does speak of the 'reward' of a future resurrection of coming back to life - Acts of the Apostles 24:15
In other words, the reward of being awakened out of death's deep sleep to live life forever.

Fallen Prophet

...and I find the 'Law of Christ' (Galatians 6:2) even goes a step beyond the Golden Rule because Jesus said to love others as he loves us at John 13:34-35. Jesus loved us with a self-sacrificing love.
In other words, we are now to love others MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Leviticus 19:18
Well - considering that I would want others to behave selflessly toward me - it's the same deal.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Be kind to them. But at the same time, don't tolerate proselytizing and degradation of your belief system.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Both Judaic, and dharmic religions were borrowed and manifested by one another.
Dharmic religions had no interaction with Judaic religions. Sure, the Jews and Christians have lived in India for upward of 2000 years (Edit: and in peace and brotherhood). But our system is compartmentalized. Live together, but you do your thing, we do our thing. India is like a stained glass window, separate different colours but over-all beautiful.

256x256bb.jpg

Source?

Last edited:

MonkeyFire

Be kind to them. But at the same time, don't tolerate proselytizing and degradation of your belief system.

Be kind to them, but defiantly tolerate at all times, not just for the respect, but remember to do it for the happiness too.

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I have no reason to believe that nonbelievers will suffer if they lead a good life, caring about their fellow human beings and the natural world.
So do you think there is an extra benefit (as it where) to being a "believer" or would just being a non-believing goody-goody person suffice to get the final reward within one life time?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If your religion says you should get along with all people, a healthy start to putting that into action would be to drop the 'I'm right, and you're wrong', stuff. It sends a contradictory message.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What happens at the end of that evaluation period?
Depends, as different situations may help dictate different responses. IOW, there should not be a "one size fits all" approach for us, imo.

Also, people often change over time, so maybe there's hope for me yet, eh? :)

metis

Not to judge in what sense?
You hit it on the head with your last quote below.

How is evaluation not a judgment?
None of us are all "good" or all "bad", plus any evaluation must not be viewed as being some sort of slam-dunk fact as we only see the "surface" of another person.

When I think of evaluate that means to assess the value of someone, or something.
I don't use it that way.

So perhaps a Catholic can not judge a person's ultimate fate or destiny, but they can evaluate behavior and actions and take precautions. Is that right?
Absolutely correct.:)

metis

In Scripture we find 'God's Judgement' is already recorded for all to see as to what is right or wrong in His eyes.
Jesus was speaking about making a 'personal judgement' of another.
In other words, we are Not to impute a bad or wrong motive to others.
Thus, there would be No need to have the right and obligation to evaluate another's personal motives.
The right and obligation would enter the picture when God's recorded Judgement on matters is being ignored.
But judging is still not our role as none of us can speak for God unless one is a prophet, and I don't quite qualify. ;)

To put it another way, judge the sin but not the sinner. Heaven knows I've screwed up a few times in my life. :rolleyes:

Shakeel

60:13 "O ye who believe! Turn not (for friendship) to people on whom is the Wrath of Allah, of the Hereafter they are already in despair, just as the Unbelievers are in despair about those (buried) in graves"

Muslims should not make (close) friends with non-Muslims. They may negatively affect the believer.

60:8 "Allah does not forbid you from those who do not fight you because of religion and do not expel you from your homes - from being righteous toward them and acting justly toward them. Indeed, Allah loves those who act justly."

But that doesn't mean there can be no cordial relations and good treatment.
General Behavior (Kitab Al-Adab) - Sunnah.com - Sayings and Teachings of Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم)
Narrated AbuSa'id al-Khudri: The Prophet (ﷺ) said: Associate only with a believer, and let only a God-fearing man eat your meals.

Narrated AbuHurayrah: The Prophet (ﷺ) said: A man follows the religion of his friend; so each one should consider whom he makes his friend.

Imitating non-Muslims is also forbidden and is something that easily happens if a Muslim makes the mistake of taking them as close friends.

Aside for that, Muslims must treat non-Muslims, who are at peace with the Muslims, with respect and justice.