• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does your church teach?

We Never Know

No Slack
So about a year ago my daughter told me the church her and my son-in-law go to teaches when it comes to family...
1. The husband comes first. What he says is law and should not be contested.
2. The wife comes second and should obey her husband.
3. Children come third

I said BS! You are equal to your husband and the children should come first. They didn't ask to be here, they look for guidance, for whats right and they learn by what they see/hear.

To anyone here, does your church teach children come third?
If so, why?

PS: I have no clue what church they go to .

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I said BS! You are equal to your husband and the children should come first. They didn't ask to be here, they look for guidance, for whats right and they learn by what they see/hear.

BS is correct.

And afaik you'd never hear this from a Druid. And I wouldn't go to a Grove/Church that taught this.

IMO, children come first (as do animals), because they are 100% dependent on us. The relationship between the spouses can't take a back burner, but no one spouse is "head of household", just because of their Sex.

cataway

. 3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God.

Heyo

Veteran Member
So about a year ago my daughter told me the church her and my son-in-law go to teaches when it comes to family...
3. Children come third

If so, why?

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Lucius Annaeus Seneca

It is seen by the rulers as useful because it gives a template and justification for a hierarchical society. Monotheistic religions are especially preferred by dictators, one god -> one ruler.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
3. Children come third

If so, why?

Aha, that information I did not read while replying before about your grandchild, I did mention that you might have left out things though

This you better add, I would have replied differently. I think this might be the reason you posted your other thread

I know Churches who preach this. Very dangerous, and only works if the father is "perfect". And no human being is perfect in Kali Yuga

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
3. Children come third

If so, why?

I have been to those that did and those that didn't. As a single person this was not of central importance to me, so I didn't follow the argument closely, but a lot of this about women obeying husbands occurs simply because of the placement of a chapter number, which was added by others after the original letter was written. The chapter numbers are *not* part of scripture and should be ignored but often are not and often shape how we interpret scripture. Here is a classic example which pertains to the subject you have posted about:

[1Co 10:32-33 NIV] 32 Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-- 33 even as I try to please everyone in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.
[1Co 11:1-16 NIV] 1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. 2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you. 3 But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God. 4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head. 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head--it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head. 7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man. 8 For man did not come from woman, but woman from man; 9 neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 10 It is for this reason that a woman ought to have authority over her own head, because of the angels. 11 Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man, nor is man independent of woman. 12 For as woman came from man, so also man is born of woman. But everything comes from God. 13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering. 16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice--nor do the churches of God.

Notice how the chapter change is like a giant hand that stops you from reading and suggests a break in the text which is not there? Some versions also add headings where the writers want to impose a break that is not there. For example the NIV inserts 'On Head Coverings in Worship' after 11:1, but this is not part of the letter though the NIV makes it appear so. It adds to and alters the scripture with its editorial choice. In a church that consciously accepts 'Tradition' that is not an issue, but in a church that claims to to be bible led wholly it can become a source of confusion and argument.

When does Paul stop talking about being an example and start talking about who is the head, and when does he stop talking about who is the head and start talking about cloth coverings for the head, and does he conclude that men and women are equal since each comes from the other? Well...if you let the chapter headings and inserted heading lead you then you get a different answer, but if you stick to reading Paul straight through with his terrible habit of run-on sentences and topics that intermingle you may get a different point of view.

In the end if he says something you cannot support from more ancient scripture you just have to table it, because he is a very bad writer.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
3. Children come third

If so, why?

Well at least the descriptions narrows it down to a hierarchical regimented religious environment.

Sounds like some non denominational evangelist church.

exchemist

Veteran Member
3. Children come third

If so, why?

I must be some kind of homespun Protestant evangelical church, led by a sef-taught pastor, I should think. None of the mainstream Christian churches teaches any such thing.

Viker

Häxan
3. Children come third

If so, why?

There'll never be any of that among my kind.

pearl

I must be some kind of homespun Protestant evangelical church, led by a sef-taught pastor, I should think. None of the mainstream Christian churches teaches any such thing.

I think you may be correct. I know of a church that models its community life after Paul.

cataway

1 Corinthians 11:3 (NIV) But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.''
any one stepping outside of this arrangement. humm, who would that be ?? would that be satan !? the similarity is uncannily similar

exchemist

Veteran Member
1 Corinthians 11:3 (NIV) But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.''
any one stepping outside of this arrangement. humm, who would that be ?? would that be satan !? the similarity is uncannily similar
Just anyone born in Europe after the start of female emancipation.

No Christian with any brains or charity nowadays believes women should be condemned to second class status, just because of a few words of St. Paul's, written 2000 years ago. St. Paul was a man of his time and lived in a patriarchal society, so one has to aim off to allow for that.

Brian2

Veteran Member
3. Children come third

If so, why?

Men in the hierarchy of some churches like to teach things like that. I see it as a distortion of what the Bible teaches. The woman should contest what the husband says of course. How else is the woman going to help the husband come to his senses at times? But that is what they believe and your daughter could be led into doing or allowing that child abuse you were talking about. And the discipline is no doubt decided by the husband, who may feel like that is his responsibility even though all he probably knows is how he was raised.
It could be hard for you daughter to go against her husband, and I think teachings like that in a church can lead to family violence against the woman sometimes, with the husband thinking that it is his right or even duty to be violent at times.

cataway

Just anyone born in Europe after the start of female emancipation.

No Christian with any brains or charity nowadays believes women should be condemned to second class status, just because of a few words of St. Paul's, written 2000 years ago. St. Paul was a man of his time and lived in a patriarchal society, so one has to aim off to allow for that.
no not woman , ...............wife

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Male domination is a feature of a kali yuga which we're now exiting. In the now dawning Sat Yuga, women step forward. The transition is of course not straight forward with the dying old forms fighting for continued life

cataway

And wives cease to be women on marriage, in your view, do they?
woman/wife answers to man/husband, husband/man answers to Jesus ,Jesus answers to God . myself i can not even imagine Jesus arguing in disagreement with God . maybe satan would
Romans 7
2 For instance, a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is alive; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.

exchemist

Veteran Member
woman/wife answers to man/husband, husband/man answers to Jesus ,Jesus answers to God . myself i can not even imagine Jesus arguing in disagreement with God . maybe satan would
Romans 7
2 For instance, a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is alive; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband.
Not in civilised countries.