• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the Tanakh say about assemblies, gatherings or meetings, as part of relationship with God?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
NOTE: This thread is in the Religions Q&A forum, which has special rules.

What does the Tanakh say about what to do and why, at assemblies, gatherings or meetings, as part of Israel’s relationship with God?

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

What does the Tanakh say about what to do and why, at assemblies, gatherings or meetings, as part of Israel’s relationship with God?

To my understanding, when Israel were first released from slavery in Egypt, whilst Moses was taking some time up in the mountain getting God’s instructions and the 10 Commandments, God informed Moses that his people were acting disgracefully, so on descending from the mountain Moses observed them dancing and singing around a golden calf. He was so incensed that he threw down the stone tablets that God had written and passed judgment on the offenders. They were put to death.
From that time onward, God did not allow his people to hold their own festivals. Instead, he carefully prescribed their gatherings for worship and for thanksgiving and celebration.

“According to the Law covenant, three national festivals were to be celebrated by all the people at the tent or tabernacle of worship each year. “Three times inthe year every male of yours should appear before Jehovah your God in the place that he will choose: in the festival of the unfermented cakes and in the festival of weeks and in the festival of booths, and none should appear before Jehovah empty-handed. The gift of each one’s hand should be in proportion to the blessing of Jehovah your God that he has given you.” (Deuteronomy 16:16, 17; Exodus 34:1, 22-24)

The festival of the unleavened cakes was held in connection with the annual Passover supper that commemorated Israel’s deliverance from Egypt. The festival of weeks was held on the fiftieth day, that is, after the passing of seven weeks beginning Nisan 16; and the firstfruits of the wheat harvest were presented to Jehovah on that fiftieth (or, Pentecostal) day. The festival of booths (or, tabernacles) was also called the “festival of the ingathering” at the turn of the year. These annual festivals had their prescribed sacrifices to Jehovah.—Leviticus 23:4-21, 33-43.”
(Excerpt from “God’s “Eternal Purpose Now Triumphing for Man’s Good” WTBTS)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

I'm afraid that it is unclear what you're looking for. Maybe re-ask with an example of what you're questioning?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I'm afraid that it is unclear what you're looking for. Maybe re-ask with an example of what you're questioning?
I’ll explain my reason for asking. I’m trying to find out what Jesus might mean by “church” when He says “on this rock I will build my church.” What kind of practice prescribed by God is he calling a “church”? I think that it means an assembly, gathering or meeting of people, but for what purposes? What gatherings did God prescribe for Israel, what did he say to do in them, and why?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I’ll explain my reason for asking. I’m trying to find out what Jesus might mean by “church” when He says “on this rock I will build my church.” What kind of practice prescribed by God is he calling a “church”? I think that it means an assembly, gathering or meeting of people, but for what purposes?
First of all, thanks for the clarification.

"Church" means "community", and not only did Jesus meet in "community" with the Apostles and his followers, he also mandated it ("Where two or more of you meet in my name, ...")

We gotta remember that at the time that he lived, "the Word" had to be spread by mouth, thus "community" was terribly important in order to accomplish that.

Also, what would happen to "the Way" after he was crucified? Who would carry on? Who would do the teaching? Etc.
What gatherings did God prescribe for Israel, what did he say to do in them, and why?
Torah mandates meeting in "community" on Shabbat as one of its Commandments. Thus, Judaism is not a "just-do-it-yourself" religion, and this shows up clearly in Exodus whereas God has Moses lead the flock, and then He gives Moses the mandate to appoint others to help him.

Does this help?

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
First of all, thanks for the clarification.

"Church" means "community", and not only did Jesus meet in "community" with the Apostles and his followers, he also mandated it ("Where two or more of you meet in my name, ...")

We gotta remember that at the time that he lived, "the Word" had to be spread by mouth, thus "community" was terribly important in order to accomplish that.

Also, what would happen to "the Way" after he was crucified? Who would carry on? Who would do the teaching? Etc.
Torah mandates meeting in "community" on Shabbat as one of its Commandments. Thus, Judaism is not a "just-do-it-yourself" religion, and this shows up clearly in Exodus whereas God has Moses lead the flock, and then He gives Moses the mandate to appoint others to help him.

Does this help?
Shabbat. Of course. Where is my head?

Jedster

@metis @Jim

Interesting to note that the Hebrew words for synagogue & church are both formed from the root word כנס (kenes) meaning meeting/convention

Synagogue בית כנסת Bayt cneset
Church כנסייה Cnesiyah