• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the Talmud really teach?

arcanum

I'd become interested in Judaism recently, especially in the kabbalah, so I was checking out some video's on youtube when I stumbled upon some related to the teachings of the Talmud, which I knew nothing about. Some of these video's are quite disturbing and I was quite shocked at what they claimed the Talmud actually said. So I'm not asking this to inflame anyone but hoping to clear up if this is just misinformation and lies or if the Talmud does indeed teach these things regarding non Jews? As I said this is not to inflame but to understand, are these statements really in the Talmud? Here is one such video.

[youtube]n90p6ZVuWJk[/youtube]
Talmud and its darkside of secrets - YouTube

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Ahh … flame bait …
… and just before Shabbat.
There's simple nothing quite like a nice troll on a Friday afternoon.

technomage

Finding my own way
I'd become interested in Judaism recently, especially in the kabbalah, so I was checking out some video's on youtube when I stumbled upon some related to the teachings of the Talmud, which I knew nothing about. Some of these video's are quite disturbing and I was quite shocked at what they claimed the Talmud actually said. So I'm not asking this to inflame anyone but hoping to clear up if this is just misinformation and lies or if the Talmud does indeed teach these things regarding non Jews? As I said this is not to inflame but to understand, are these statements really in the Talmud? Here is one such video.

At its core, the Talmud is a collection of opinions on various topic--those opinions are from multiple people, sometimes contradict, and are occasionally offensive to some people. However, taking a minority opinion and proclaiming it as "This is what the Talmud teaches" is blatantly dishonest.

You should also be aware that NorseWolf (the editor of the video) is, or was, a member of Stormfront.

arcanum

Ahh … flame bait …
… and just before Shabbat.
There's simple nothing quite like a nice troll on a Friday afternoon.
I'm not a troll, I'm asking if the Talmud really does teach these things? Is a troll one who asks the truth? If so then there is no purpose for this forum to exist.:shrug:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
At its core, the Talmud is a collection of opinions on various topic--those opinions are from multiple people, sometimes contradict, and are occasionally offensive to some people. However, taking a minority opinion and proclaiming it as "This is what the Talmud teaches" is blatantly dishonest.

You should also be aware that NorseWolf (the editor of the video) is, or was, a member of Stormfront.
^ This.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I'd become interested in Judaism recently, especially in the kabbalah, so I was checking out some video's on youtube when I stumbled upon some related to the teachings of the Talmud, which I knew nothing about. Some of these video's are quite disturbing and I was quite shocked at what they claimed the Talmud actually said. So I'm not asking this to inflame anyone but hoping to clear up if this is just misinformation and lies or if the Talmud does indeed teach these things regarding non Jews? As I said this is not to inflame but to understand, are these statements really in the Talmud?

Start here.

The Real Truth About The Talmud

Peter

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have not studied it, but parts of it seem like a kind of centuries long debate forum. That is the legend I'm putting forward anyway. Person A may live hundreds of years before person B, and they debate not to make points but to learn or teach among other things. Ed may put something in there that he doesn't actually agree with in order to argue against Benny who takes an opposing view. The winner is established by the reader, but it is the reader's responsibility to study the whole debate not just pieces of it. How they can debate centuries apart is kind of cool, a bit like someone who plays chess without looking at the board and just calling out numbers. They keep the whole board in their heads so they understand what a particular move is about.

They don't add to Talmud anymore. Probably because it is already so big that it takes years of study to claim that you understand it. Of course it could be that its just a really thick stack of paper somebody found under a desk one day. I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure, but talmud scholars don't think so.

Last edited:

technomage

Finding my own way
I have not studied it, but parts of it seem like a kind of centuries long debate forum. That is the legend I'm putting forward anyway. Person A may live hundreds of years before person B, and they debate not to make points but to learn or teach among other things. Ed may put something in there that he doesn't actually agree with in order to argue against Benny who takes an opposing view. The winner is established by the reader, but it is the reader's responsibility to study the whole debate not just pieces of it.

That's a very apt description ... with your permission, if asked in the future, I may steal it. :)

arcanum

Trying to get insight on the Talmud from YouTube is like getting dieting and hygiene advice from the Amazing Atheist.
I realize that of course. However do you have the time and energy to pour yourself into all the volumes of the Talmud? It is able to hide itself in it's voluminous nature. But if these quotes are true than I'd like to know. I have a feeling that there might be some truth in some of these claims as many Jews have often looked upon themselves as superior to non Jews, believing themselves the chosen people. Many of the ultra orthodox won't even give you the time of day, not a friendly operating system that they are laboring under, some are down right rude. It wouldn't surprise me that some of these claims concerning comments about about their attitudes towards non Jews are actually true. I'm looking into it but I think it deserves some attention from non Jews.

technomage

Finding my own way
I realize that of course. However do you have the time and energy to pour yourself into all the volumes of the Talmud? It is able to hide itself in it's voluminous nature. But if these quotes are true than I'd like to know. I have a feeling that there might be some truth in some of these claims as many Jews have often looked upon themselves as superior to non Jews, believing themselves the chosen people. Many of the ultra orthodox won't even give you the time of day, not a friendly operating system that they are laboring under, some are down right rude. It wouldn't surprise me that some of these claims concerning comments about about their attitudes towards non Jews are actually true. I'm looking into it but I think it deserves some attention from non Jews.
You suspect ... before you have evidence.

You accuse ... before you have fact.

I don't need people like you in my life, Arcanum. Welcome to my ignore file.

arcanum

You suspect ... before you have evidence.

You accuse ... before you have fact.

I don't need people like you in my life, Arcanum. Welcome to my ignore file.
Why because I dare raise the question of reverse antisemitism? I have more evidence for my assumptions that one you tube video, there is actually plenty of evidence for Jewish supremacy or elitism within their belief system. I just haven't been exposed to the teachings of the Talmud before. So close your ears and ignore me all I want, I could care less, you just proved my point. Examine this link, and if anyone can refute the contents I'm all ears.
Truth About the Talmud: Judaism's Holiest Book

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
technomage said:
That's a very apt description ... with your permission, if asked in the future, I may steal it. :)
Sure. I don't see why it should be bound.
According to that video a gentile is equal to a dog, an animal.:sarcastic
I've looked into this dog issue and may as well venture another suggestion. The Jew is required to confess "I am the child of a wandering Aramean" which is a denial of special bloodlines. The skinny is that a Jew is a dog or a cow. Whoever joins the Jewish nation must learn to behave like a peaceful cow. Its behavior not essence. You can be gentile and still be behave and cow-like rather than vicious and dog-like, or you can be a dog-like Jew or a cow-like Jew. The idea is to be transformed from vicious and aggressive behaviors like wild dogs to productive and peaceful ones like domestic cattle.

Last edited:

CMike

[youtube]n90p6ZVuWJk[/youtube]
Talmud and its darkside of secrets - YouTube

Your youtube is based on anti-semitic nonsense.

Since the Talmud is in aramaic, anyone can say anything, and they can't read it for themselves so ignorant and gullible people believe it.

I will answer your question.

Moses on Mt Sinai got two different Torahs from G-D (sets of laws). There was the written law (the five books of Moses) and there was the oral law (the Mishnah).

The Talmud is commentary on the Mishnah.

Basically the Talmud is a code of laws. There is a book on divorce, marriage, property damage, civil law, laws of holidays etc.

The oral law is necessary because explains things that are not explained in the written law.

For example, the written law tells us to keep shabbos.

However, how do you keep shabbos? What exactly is work? Can you cook on shabbos? When exactly does shabbos start?

The precise time is important because if you are violating the law by creating on the shabbos, you need to know exactly when it starts.

So there can be an issue like when shabbos starts. You will then have different opinons. One rabbis says when three stars comes out, another one says, during sunset etc.

They then go on long winded explanations of why they believe what they believe that can go into several tangents. It then winds up in the end.

Another issue is what happens when your ox causes property to my land. What do you owe me? How is it determined? Once again you will get different opinions with long winded explanations, which brings it down in the end.

Studying the Torah gives a very deep explantion of judaism. It can get very intricate. You also have commentators on each paragraph of the Talmud. You then have commentators on commentators.

It very little mentions or has anything to do with non jews.

It has to do with how to implement jewish law.

The Torah does say about non jews:.

• To love the stranger (Deut. 10:19)
  • Not to wrong the stranger in speech (Ex. 22:20)
  • Not to wrong the stranger in buying or selling (Ex. 22:20)

CMike

Sure. I don't see why it should be bound.
I've looked into this dog issue and may as well venture another suggestion. The Jew is required to confess "I am the child of a wandering Aramean" which is a denial of special bloodlines. The skinny is that a Jew is a dog or a cow. Whoever joins the Jewish nation must learn to behave like a peaceful cow. Its behavior not essence. You can be gentile and still be behave and cow-like rather than vicious and dog-like, or you can be a dog-like Jew or a cow-like Jew. The idea is to be transformed from vicious and aggressive behaviors like wild dogs to productive and peaceful ones like domestic cattle.
What?