• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the Pope mean to you? (Catholic)

Nimos

Using it as an example in another post, I actually got curios about this very question. (Cross my fingers I can ask it, without being "assaulted" :))

I know that the Pope is the head of the Catholic church etc. So Im more interested in hearing from Catholics how you view him from a personal point of view?

Do you see him as a spiritual leader or something more, or do you think of him like he is described on Wiki?

If someone will share their views on this, it would be much appreciated.

Reactions: Jim

BSM1

What? Me worry?
He's a wild and crazy guy that every now and then comes up with something insightful...oh, wait, that's @PopeADope! My bad...

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
Using it as an example in another post, I actually got curios about this very question. (Cross my fingers I can ask it, without being "assaulted" :))

I know that the Pope is the head of the Catholic church etc. So Im more interested in hearing from Catholics how you view him from a personal point of view?

Do you see him as a spiritual leader or something more, or do you think of him like he is described on Wiki?

As an ex-Roman Catholic (was one for 30 years) and with knowledge of the Bible (KJB), Prophecy and History, This:

Roman Catholicism - Counterfeit Sanctuary - AntiChrist 03 - With Notation And Website.jpg

Do not be offended, but ask, What is truth?

exchemist

Veteran Member

Yes, he's the bishop of Rome (his cathedral is St John Lateran), and as such is the head and spiritual leader of the Catholic Church.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If we go with the fiction that Vatican City/the Holy See is actually a country, then the Pope is the last dictator in Europe.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I like Sister Zita, (an elderly nun whom i took to art class in the 80s) assessment of the pope.

"Just a man in a big hat".

pearl

The pope is the Bishop of the Roman See, a pastor, shepherd and servant of the 'People of God', the Church which is the sacrament of Christ as Christ is the sacrament of God. The Church is infallible, I do not believe personally the pope to be infallible. Although he is the head of the hierarchy, he is within, center of the People of God, as opposed to the vision of a pyramidal structure.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Like with most organizations, he is a single leader supported by subordinate leaders. IMO, what he says is very important for us, but I don't believe in inerrancy. Popes in the past have made mistakes, and future Popes will likely to continue making mistakes at times.

As Catholics, we do have the right of individual discernment to a large extent, thus getting excommunicated is very rarely ever invoked. We can disagree widely with each other and the Church leadership at times, including the Pope.

Have a Most Blessed Lord's Day.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
As an ex-Roman Catholic (was one for 30 years) and with knowledge of the Bible (KJB), Prophecy and History, This:

View attachment 36874

Do not be offended, but ask, What is truth?
There is so much wrong with the above post, but I simply am not going to waste my time getting into it. The lies and distortions abound in it, and I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church that taught such lies but actually did the studying and found out that I was seriously being misled.

One item, and then I'm outta here: Catholics do not worship the sun, and looking that up for confirmation is very easy to do at Catholic.com.

Jeremiah Ames

There is so much wrong with the above post, but I simply am not going to waste my time getting into it. The lies and distortions abound in it, and I grew up in a fundamentalist Protestant church that taught such lies but actually did the studying and found out that I was seriously being misled.

One item, and then I'm outta here: Catholics do not worship the sun, and looking that up for confirmation is very easy to do at Catholic.com.

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

So what is the difference between all the 30,000+ different Christian denomination's lies?

Is one denomination's lies about God any better than all the others?

How do you tell which lie is better than another lie?

exchemist

Veteran Member
The pope is the Bishop of the Roman See, a pastor, shepherd and servant of the 'People of God', the Church which is the sacrament of Christ as Christ is the sacrament of God. The Church is infallible, I do not believe personally the pope to be infallible. Although he is the head of the hierarchy, he is within, center of the People of God, as opposed to the vision of a pyramidal structure.
Nobody, least of all the Catholic Church claims the Pope is generally infallible.

According to my understanding, infallibility is only claimed for pronouncements made by the pope in an ex cathedra statement on faith and morals.

Most popes wisely avoid making such statements like the plague. I think there have only been two, ever - though I could be wrong.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
That’s way too much stuff.
Can’t you summarize what you want to say in a few sentences please?
Sure.

Pope ('father') title is in Latin: "VICARIVS CHRISTI"
Bible (KJB) warns of such a position of man whose characteristic is in koine Greek: "ANTI CHRISTOS"

[Latin] VICARIVS = [koine Greek] ANTI
[Latin] CHRISTI = [koine Greek] CHRISTOS​

By their (Roman Catholicisms') own definitional sources.

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
I'm not offended t all, but gotta ask if you really expect people to view all those videos? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Only those interested in history, truth, facts, documents, desire to be awake to the present issues in the world and or are just plain curious. Do I expect persons like you to watch them? No, you do not fit the criteria I just gave

coconut theology

coconuts for Jesus
There is so much wrong with the above post, but I simply am not going to waste my time getting into it. ...
Easy to make such baseless broad stroke accusations that have yet to be documented in evidence in any kind of substantial (or even marginal at this point) way. I would be glad to discuss any point in any of the above material, by their time indexes.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Easy to make such baseless broad stroke accusations that have yet to be documented in evidence in any kind of substantial (or even marginal at this point) way. I would be glad to discuss any point in any of the above material, by their time indexes.
Enough of this tomfoolery.

.......[click].........

Jeremiah Ames

Sure.

Pope ('father') title is in Latin: "VICARIVS CHRISTI"
Bible (KJB) warns of such a position of man whose characteristic is in koine Greek: "ANTI CHRISTOS"

[Latin] VICARIVS = [koine Greek] ANTI
[Latin] CHRISTI = [koine Greek] CHRISTOS​

By their (Roman Catholicisms') own definitional sources.
Ok, thanks
So, is it good or bad?
Or something else?

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
Only those interested in history, truth, facts, documents, desire to be awake to the present issues in the world and or are just plain curious. Do I expect persons like you to watch them? No, you do not fit the criteria I just gave

Ha, ha, ha...

That's a good JOKE!!!

Got any more?