• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the leaven represent, which must be cast out?

2ndpillar

In Preparation for the Feast of Unleavened Bread, one is to cast out the leaven from the household. What does the leaven spiritually represent.

Matthew 16:11 NAS "How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread ? But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."

If the unleavened bread represents the "Word of God", what does the leaven represent, which must be removed from the house?

It simply refers to the traditions of men, and particularly to that of the Sadducees and the Pharisees. The bread of life, must be consumed without the leaven (hypocrisy) of the Pharisee.

Matthew 23:15-28 NAS "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites,.....So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Be careful to worship God. Wine is good; but it cannot precede water. The teachers, and the prophets, and the leaders are all good- being sons of the Most High. But, they've also filled Jayhawker (even you and I) with vanity. Jesus explained that these stumbling blocks must come-- and to this day, many react in the same manner as Judas. Those believing in free will worship themselves. God's word is being done.

Sultan Of Swing

Just what we need; more drivel from the shallow cesspool of replacement theology.

I'm not sure how you're reading replacement theology into this. Would you not agree that the hypocrisy that Jesus exposed in the Pharisees was wrong? I believe that was what the OP was pointing out.

Outward religiosity without an inward sincerity is meaningless, is it not?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Jesus was a Pharisee, as was Paul, and what we see going on in the gospels is essentially a "family" argument. Jesus' anger over outward shows of piety for popularity's sake is found in many locations in the Tanakh, but one certainly shouldn't somehow believe that all, or even most, Pharisees were involved in that. Instead, he seems to be going after maybe certain leaders who may have been abusing their power, or maybe just putting on a show by trying to impress others.

We also have to remember that the gospels were written long after it was obvious that the Way was becoming less and less welcome in synagogues and maybe even the Temple itself, so words of hostility towards the leaders shouldn't be of any surprise.

outhouse

Atheistically
, as was Paul, .

Also a stretch.

Pauls Judaism has always been in question, as he did not follow Judaism anywhere near as he followed Hellenism.

Pauls use of rhetoric puts question marks in front and behind that statement

CMike

I'm not sure how you're reading replacement theology into this. Would you not agree that the hypocrisy that Jesus exposed in the Pharisees was wrong? I believe that was what the OP was pointing out.

Outward religiosity without an inward sincerity is meaningless, is it not?

It was Jesus whom was filled with hypocrisy and arrogance.

He was in no position to lecture anyone.

outhouse

Atheistically
It was Jesus whom was filled with hypocrisy and arrogance.

He was in no position to lecture anyone.

The Pharisees [some] were known to be corrupt and used Roman muscle to extort tithes from the population.

The Woes of the Pharisees are historical.

We dont know exactly what Jesus was or was not, what you attribute would be directed to the unknown authors more then the jesus character

roger1440

I do stuff
In Preparation for the Feast of Unleavened Bread, one is to cast out the leaven from the household. What does the leaven spiritually represent.

Matthew 16:11 NAS "How is it that you do not understand that I did not speak to you concerning bread ? But beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."

If the unleavened bread represents the "Word of God", what does the leaven represent, which must be removed from the house?

It simply refers to the traditions of men, and particularly to that of the Sadducees and the Pharisees. The bread of life, must be consumed without the leaven (hypocrisy) of the Pharisee.

Matthew 23:15-28 NAS "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites,.....So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
I'm confused. Do you have a question or an answer?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

Luke 12:1 In the meantime, when a crowd of so many thousands had gathered together that they were stepping on one another, he started by saying first to his disciples: “Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy

Insight on the Scriptures, p230
Symbolic Significance. “Leaven” is used in the Bible to denote sin or corruption. Jesus Christ told his disciples: “Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees,” and, “Watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.” The disciples at first did not understand that Jesus was using a symbolism, but they finally discerned that he was warning them to be on guard against false doctrine and hypocritical practices, “the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees,” which teaching had a corrupting effect. (Mt 16:6, 11,*12; Lu 12:1) He also mentioned Herod (evidently including his party followers) in one of his warnings, saying: “Keep your eyes open, look out for the leaven of the Pharisees and the leaven of Herod.” (Mr 8:15) Jesus boldly denounced the Pharisees as hypocrites concerned with outward show. (Mt 23:25-28) He pointed out the wrong doctrinal viewpoint of the Sadducees. He exposed the hypocrisy and political treachery of the party followers of Herod.—Mt 22:15-21; Mr 3:6.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Thats a stretch

:redcard:

I expect better out of you.

You don't seem to understand what Pharisees believed in, along with their practices. Plus I've had it with your statements of absolute certainty and your sarcastic and condescending approach, as you know far less than you think you do. Time for the ignore option.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You don't seem to understand what Pharisees believed in, along with their practices. Plus I've had it with your statements of absolute certainty and your sarcastic and condescending approach, as you know far less than you think you do. Time for the ignore option.
"… which must be cast out?" :D

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Kudos to Metis.

The problem Jesus has with the 'Leaven of the Pharisees' isn't pride but that they would not eat his 'Bread of affliction.' Jesus never says that its pride. In fact he never calls the Pharisees 'Proud'.

Unleavened bread represents the 'Bread of Affliction'. Leavened bread is bread that is not the bread of affliction, and Jesus was preaching a lot of extra suffering for his disciples. John the Baptist wore a hair shirt representative of this and Jesus taught his disciples to each take up their cross and follow him -- a clear reference to Roman crucifixion. He taught them "In this age you will face tribulation but take courage..." This was his bread of affliction which ran counter to the Pharisees leaven. Jesus taught that if a Roman forced you to carry a distance you should volunteer to go twice that distance. He preached giving to whomsoever asked. His gospel of peace was like the bread of affliction in this respect, and to this the Pharisees objected.

Last edited:

CMike

This is utterly rediculous and shows no understanding of Judaism.

Jews ate unleavened bread because they had to get the hell out of Egypt before Pharaoh changed his mind again.

G-D told them not to wait for the bread to rise.

We are commanded not to eat leavened bread during the Passover time as a rememberance of what the jews did in Passover.

Exodus

Chapter 12

Exodus - Chapter 12 (Parshah Bo) - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

14. And this day shall be for you as a memorial, and you shall celebrate it as a festival for the Lord; throughout your generations, you shall celebrate it as an everlasting statute.

15. For seven days you shall eat unleavened cakes, but on the preceding day you shall clear away all leaven from your houses, for whoever eats leaven from the first day until the seventh day that soul shall be cut off from Israel.

CMike

Be careful to worship God. Wine is good; but it cannot precede water. The teachers, and the prophets, and the leaders are all good- being sons of the Most High. But, they've also filled Jayhawker (even you and I) with vanity. Jesus explained that these stumbling blocks must come-- and to this day, many react in the same manner as Judas. Those believing in free will worship themselves. God's word is being done.
:facepalm: