• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the head of the Russian Orthodox church mean here?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
OK, I read the report. Not saying it's word for word what the head of the Russian Orthodox church (Kirill) said, but although I read the Bible, I wonder what he means by this. Anyone? Someone? Not asking what the Bible particularly says but what Kirill meant.
Russian Patriarch says Orthodox faithful are holding back the antichrist (msn.com)
OK, I'm beginning to think I get the drift. He means that he (and the church faithful) can actually do something to change the course of time as if they are holding back -- what?? They are holding back the antichrist? I guess that's what he means. Maybe for a few years maybe he means?? :)

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Just the usual dogmatic religious beliefs (allied to nationalism) where he thinks he is right and all others are wrong, and he has the 'special' knowledge to save the world - or his part of it. Destined for the rubbish bin of history, and hopefully before we all are. :oops:

pearl

“It’s a church that runs services but has no prophetic power because it is under pressure to be absolutely aligned with the state.” Moreover, “the Russian Orthodox Church gets its money from the state, not from the people, and so it cannot take risks, nor can it be a prophetic church.”
Furthermore, he said, even though Kirill, before becoming patriarch, spent much time in the West, his statements after the war “are assaults against democracy and Ukraine’s desire for democracy,” which “he claims leads to gay parades and such like.” Father Nazar said all of this “appeals to a certain anti-West sentiment in Russian society and the view that corruption comes from the West.”
“Patriarch Kirill [takes] risks among his own faithful by speaking with the pope because some 30 percent of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia think the pope is the Antichrist.”

Francis’ meeting with Kirill—the first-ever meeting between a pope and a patriarch of Moscow—had to take place in Havana, far away from Russia, because otherwise there would have been a huge reaction within the Russian Orthodox Church and especially among the monks. According to Russian media, he said, because of the Havana meeting about 30 percent of the monasteries no longer mentioned Kirill’s name in the liturgy—“the highest insult that you can have in the Orthodox Church.”
Former Jesuit superior of Ukraine: ‘Putin is destroying the Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine.’ | America Magazine

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
OK, I'm beginning to think I get the drift. He means that he (and the church faithful) can actually do something to change the course of time as if they are holding back -- what?? They are holding back the antichrist? I guess that's what he means. Maybe for a few years maybe he means?? :)
Thanks for the links...gives some Russian insights
Russian Patriarch says Orthodox faithful are holding back the antichrist

Might be just a quote to bind people to his church

Some Preachers in Holland end sermons with
"...And Jesus will soon come"
Hope keeps the flock donating and not leaving

YoursTrue

“It’s a church that runs services but has no prophetic power because it is under pressure to be absolutely aligned with the state.” Moreover, “the Russian Orthodox Church gets its money from the state, not from the people, and so it cannot take risks, nor can it be a prophetic church.”
Furthermore, he said, even though Kirill, before becoming patriarch, spent much time in the West, his statements after the war “are assaults against democracy and Ukraine’s desire for democracy,” which “he claims leads to gay parades and such like.” Father Nazar said all of this “appeals to a certain anti-West sentiment in Russian society and the view that corruption comes from the West.”
“Patriarch Kirill [takes] risks among his own faithful by speaking with the pope because some 30 percent of the Russian Orthodox Church in Russia think the pope is the Antichrist.”

Francis’ meeting with Kirill—the first-ever meeting between a pope and a patriarch of Moscow—had to take place in Havana, far away from Russia, because otherwise there would have been a huge reaction within the Russian Orthodox Church and especially among the monks. According to Russian media, he said, because of the Havana meeting about 30 percent of the monasteries no longer mentioned Kirill’s name in the liturgy—“the highest insult that you can have in the Orthodox Church.”
Former Jesuit superior of Ukraine: ‘Putin is destroying the Russian Orthodox Church in Ukraine.’ | America Magazine
Thanks. Anyway, whether he's right or wrong, what's the problem? Kirill isn't going to hold off any distinct action from Christ either way. It's just telling insofar as human allegiance and emotions are concerned.

YoursTrue