• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the fossil record say?

wilsoncole

wilson:
Science always uses words like "may" "estimate" "would seem" " reasonable" and so forth. That's because science is empirical. If you reject studies that use these terms then, as I say, you reject science. You prefer myth.
Your response suggests there is no middle ground.
Its either science or myth - right?

How about truth?
Truth is that which conforms to fact or reality. It is particularly singular.
Science could not be based on absolute truth. If it was, so many of its conclusions would not be stated in such nebulous terms.

wilsoncole

Since the OP is concerning fossils, and one must use scientific methods for determining facts about fossils, and you dismiss all findings of science in favor of Biblical determination, your bias against the scientific method negates any honest debate from you on what the fossil record says.
You're wrong - again.
I do not dismiss ALL scientific findings.

The Bible and Science

The Bible has consistently triumphed over criticism. For instance, when it is read with an open mind, it is found to be in harmony with true science. Of course, the Bible was prepared as a spiritual guide, not as a science textbook. But let us see if the Bible agrees with scientific facts.

Anatomy:

The Bible accurately says that ‘all the parts’ of a human embryo are "in writing (DNA)." (Psalm 139:13-16) The brain, the heart, the lungs, the eyes—these and all the other body parts are ‘written down’ in the genetic code of the fertilized egg in the mother’s womb. Contained in this code are internal timetables for the appearance of each of these parts in proper order. And just think! This fact about the development of the human body was recorded in the Bible almost 3,000 years before scientists discovered the genetic code.

Animal life:
According to the Bible, "the hare . . . is a chewer of the cud." (Leviticus 11:6) François Bourlière (The Natural History of Mammals, 1964, page 41) says: "The habit of ‘refection,’ or passing the food twice through the intestine instead of only once, seems to be a common phenomenon in the rabbits and hares. Domestic rabbits usually eat and swallow without chewing their night droppings, which form in the morning as much as half the total contents of the stomach. In the wild rabbit refection takes place twice daily, and the same habit is reported for the European hare." In this regard, the work Mammals of the World (by E. P. Walker, 1964, Volume II, page 647) states: "This may be similar to ‘chewing the cud’ in ruminant mammals."

Archaeology:
Biblical kings, cities, and nations have come to life with the discovery of clay tablets, pottery, inscriptions, and the like. For instance, such people as the Hittites mentioned in the Scriptures actually did exist. (Exodus 3:8) In his book The Bible Comes Alive, Sir Charles Marston said: "Those who have shaken popular faith in the Bible, and undermined its authority, are in turn undermined themselves by the evidence that has been brought to light, and their authority destroyed. The spade is driving destructive criticism out of the field of questionable facts into that of recognized fiction."

Archaeology has supported the Bible in many ways. For example, discoveries have confirmed the places and names found in Genesis chapter 10. Excavators have uncovered the Chaldean city of Ur, the commercial and religious center where Abraham was born. (Genesis 11:27-31) Above the spring of Gihon in the southeastern part of Jerusalem, archaeologists found the Jebusite city taken by King David. (2 Samuel 5:4-10) The Siloam Inscription carved at one end of King Hezekiah’s conduit, or aqueduct, was discovered in 1880. (2 Kings 20:20) Babylon’s fall to Cyrus the Great in 539 B.C.E. is related in the Nabonidus Chronicle, unearthed in the 19th century C.E. Details in the book of Esther have been confirmed by inscriptions from Persepolis and the discovery of the palace of King Xerxes (Ahasuerus) at Shushan, or Susa, between 1880 and 1890 C.E. An inscription found in 1961 in the ruins of a Roman theater at Caesarea proved the existence of Roman governor Pontius Pilate, who handed Jesus over for impalement.—Matthew 27:11-26.

Astronomy:
Some 2,700 years ago—long before people in general knew that the earth is round—the prophet Isaiah wrote: "There is One who is dwelling above the circle of the earth." (Isaiah 40:22) The Hebrew word chugh here translated "circle," may also be rendered "sphere." (A Concordance of the Hebrew and Chaldee Scriptures, by B. Davidson) Then, too, "the circle" of the earth’s horizon is clearly seen from outer space and sometimes during high-altitude airplane travel. Incidentally, Job 26:7 says that God is "hanging the earth upon nothing." This is true, for astronomers know that the earth has no visible means of support.

Botany:
Some wrongly conclude that the Bible is inaccurate because Jesus Christ spoke of "a mustard grain" as "the tiniest of all the seeds." (Mark 4:30-32) Likely, Jesus meant the seed of the black mustard plant (Brassica nigra or Sinapis nigra), which is only about 0.039 to 0.063 inch [1 to 1.6 mm] in diameter. Though there are smaller seeds, such as fine-as-powder seeds of the orchid, Jesus was not talking to people who grew orchids. Those Galilean Jews knew that of the various types of seeds sown by local farmers, the mustard seed was the tiniest. Jesus was talking about the Kingdom, not teaching a lesson in botany.

Geology:
Regarding the Bible account of creation, the noted geologist Wallace Pratt said: "If I as a geologist were called upon to explain briefly our modern ideas of the origin of the earth and the development of life on it to a simple, pastoral people, such as the tribes to whom the Book of Genesis was addressed, I could hardly do better than follow rather closely much of the language of the first chapter of Genesis." Pratt noted that the order of events in Genesis—the origin of oceans, the emergence of land, and then the appearance of marine life, birds, and mammals—is essentially the sequence of the principal divisions of geologic time.

Medicine:
In his book The Physician Examines the Bible, C. Raimer Smith wrote: "It is very surprising to me that the Bible is so accurate from the medical standpoint. . . . Where treatment is mentioned, as for boils, wounds, etc., it is correct even by modern standards. . . . Many superstitions are still believed by large numbers of people such as, that a buckeye in the pocket will prevent rheumatism; that handling toads will cause warts; that wearing red flannel around the neck will cure a sore throat; that an asafetida bag will prevent diseases; that every time a child is sick it has worms; etc., but no such statements are found in the Bible. This in itself is remarkable and to me is another proof of its divine origin."
(WATCHTOWER '92 5.15 p. 4,5 Published by Jehovah's Witnesses)

Yes - in many areas, the Bible harmonizes with science.

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I have ignored your attacks on the Bible long enough!
Let's see you explain all of this:

"If there were no other proofs of authenticity available, the Bible’s righteous principles and moral standards would set it apart as a product of the divine mind. Additionally, its practicality extends to every phase of daily living and applies to all races and cultures.

1. No other book gives us a rational view of the origin of all things, including mankind, and of the Creator’s purpose toward the earth and man. (Gen., chap. 1; Isa. 45:18)
2. The Bible tells us why man dies and why wickedness exists. (Gen., chap. 3; Rom. 5:12; Job, chaps. 1, 2; Ex. 9:16)
3. It sets out the highest standard of justice. (Ex. 23:1, 2, 6, 7; Deut. 19:15-21)
4. It gives right counsel on business dealings (Lev. 19:35, 36; Prov. 20:10; 22:22, 23; Matt. 7:12);
5. clean moral conduct (Lev. 20:10-16; Gal. 5:19-23; Heb. 13:4);
6. relationships with others (Lev. 19:18; Prov. 12:15; 15:1; 27:1, 2, 5, 6; 29:11; Matt. 7:12; 1 Tim. 5:1, 2);
7. marriage (Gen. 2:22-24; Matt. 19:4, 5, 9; 1 Cor. 7:2, 9, 10, 39);
8. family relationships and duties of husband, wife, and children (Deut. 6:4-9; Prov. 13:24; Eph. 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Col. 3:18-21; 1 Pet. 3:1-6);
9. proper attitude toward rulers (Rom. 13:1-10; Titus 3:1; 1 Tim. 2:1, 2; 1 Pet. 2:13, 14);
10. honest work as well as master-slave and employer-employee relationships (Eph. 4:28; Col. 3:22-24; 4:1; 1 Pet. 2:18-21);
11. proper associations (Prov. 1:10-16; 5:3-11; 1 Cor. 15:33; 2 Tim. 2:22; Heb. 10:24, 25);
12. settling disputes (Matt. 18:15-17; Eph. 4:26);
and many other things that vitally affect our everyday lives.

13. The Bible also provides valuable pointers regarding physical and mental health. (Prov. 15:17; 17:22)

In recent years, medical research has demonstrated that a person’s physical health is indeed affected by his mental attitude. For example, studies have shown that persons who are prone to express anger often have the highest levels of blood pressure. Some reported that anger produced cardiac sensations, headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, or inability to vocalize.

However, the Bible long ago explained: "A calm heart is the life of the fleshly organism."—Prov. 14:30; compare Matthew 5:9."
(All Scripture Is Inspired Of God p. 340 Published by Jehovah's Witnesses)

Have fun!

Start a thread, and then boast about how the Bible tells us the proper attitude toward slaves. It doesn't belong here. Honestly, wilson, if we thought Jehovah's Witness tracts had anything of value to offer, we'd read them ourselves.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Some people ask questions for information:
1. "However, the disciples put the question to him: "Why, then, do the scribes say that E·li´jah must come first?"" (Matthew 17:10)

2. "And as he was going out on his way, a certain man ran up and fell upon his knees before him and put the question to him: "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit everlasting life?"" (Mark 10:17)

3. "Now when he had entered a house away from the crowd, his disciples began to question him respecting the illustration." (Mark 7:17)

Others ask questions to test, taunt, trap, criticize, dare (peer pressure), confuse or plant the seeds of doubt:
1. "So it (Satan hiding behind a serpent) began to say to the woman: "Is it really so that God said YOU must not eat from every tree of the garden?"" (Genesis 3:1)

2. "After the Pharisees heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they came together in one group. And one of them, versed in the Law, asked, testing him:
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"(Matthew 22:34-36)

3. "Then the Pharisees went their way and took counsel together in order to trap him in his speech. 16 So they dispatched to him their disciples, together with party followers of Herod, saying: "Teacher, we know you are truthful and teach the way of God in truth, and you do not care for anybody, for you do not look upon men’s outward appearance. 17 Tell us, therefore, What do you think? Is it lawful to pay head tax to Caesar or not?" 18 But Jesus, knowing their wickedness, said: "Why do YOU put me to the test, hypocrites?" (Matthew 22:15-18)

I have no reason to believe you are asking for information since you already presume to know what Christians believe.
You questions are not of the first kind.

Why should I accomodate you?

You have no information I need. I'm asking the question for the purpose of debate--you know, the goal of this forum. If you want to debate, I'm happy to join you. If not, then buh-bye.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Yet, I detect that you keep trying to use science to prove your conclusions.

EVIDENCE: Definition
1. sign or proof: something that gives a sign or proof of the existence or truth of something, or that helps somebody to come to a particular conclusion There is no evidence that the disease is related to diet.
2. proof of guilt: the objects or information used to prove or suggest the guilt of somebody accused of a crime The police have no evidence.
3. statements of witnesses: the oral or written statements of witnesses and other people involved in a trial or official inquiry. (the objects or information used to prove or suggest the guilt of somebody accused of a crime)

EVIDENCED:
demonstrate or prove: to demonstrate or prove something (usually passive)
Their unwillingness to participate is evidenced by their failure to contact us.

PROOF: Definition
proof [proof]
n (plural proofs)
1. conclusive evidence: evidence or an argument that serves to establish a fact or the truth of something
2. test of something: a test or trial of something to establish whether it is true
3. state of having been proved: the quality or condition of having been proved
4. law trial evidence: the evidence in a trial that helps to determine the court’s decision.

Your play on words is not impressive.
Now you have to do battle with the dictionary.
It's not a play on words; it's crucial to understanding how science works. I'm trying to help you here, but like many creationists you resist learning. Proof = conclusive evidence. It's 100%, definitive and complete. Science never has that, because it's empirical. The saying is, proof is for math and whiskey. To understand science, it helps to bear this in mind.
I do not regard "science" as a sacred word.
Indeed, you disdain it. I know that.

wilsoncole

The hebrews created the fiction as a guide to what they thought was a good life at that time, nothing more. Just because they made a complete guide for people that had no morals and lived like animals. jesus expanded it to others and died as a martyr.

not one word refuted my post at all in any sense. Its below if you want to take a shot at what you think you know, the same way you take cheap shots at science.

if people let the 3000 year old creation myth go and accept the truth of science, there would be no debate.
Ooh, Looky!
You forgot the rest of it:
"If there were no other proofs of authenticity available, the Bible’s righteous principles and moral standards would set it apart as a product of the divine mind. Additionally, its practicality extends to every phase of daily living and applies to all races and cultures.

1. No other book gives us a rational view of the origin of all things, including mankind, and of the Creator’s purpose toward the earth and man. (Gen., chap. 1; Isa. 45:18)
2. The Bible tells us why man dies and why wickedness exists. (Gen., chap. 3; Rom. 5:12; Job, chaps. 1, 2; Ex. 9:16)
3. It sets out the highest standard of justice. (Ex. 23:1, 2, 6, 7; Deut. 19:15-21)
4. It gives right counsel on business dealings (Lev. 19:35, 36; Prov. 20:10; 22:22, 23; Matt. 7:12);
6. relationships with others (Lev. 19:18; Prov. 12:15; 15:1; 27:1, 2, 5, 6; 29:11; Matt. 7:12; 1 Tim. 5:1, 2);
8. family relationships and duties of husband, wife, and children (Deut. 6:4-9; Prov. 13:24; Eph. 5:21-33; 6:1-4; Col. 3:18-21; 1 Pet. 3:1-6);
9. proper attitude toward rulers (Rom. 13:1-10; Titus 3:1; 1 Tim. 2:1, 2; 1 Pet. 2:13, 14);
10. honest work as well as master-slave and employer-employee relationships (Eph. 4:28; Col. 3:22-24; 4:1; 1 Pet. 2:18-21);
11. proper associations (Prov. 1:10-16; 5:3-11; 1 Cor. 15:33; 2 Tim. 2:22; Heb. 10:24, 25);

13. The Bible also provides valuable pointers regarding physical and mental health. (Prov. 15:17; 17:22)

In recent years, medical research has demonstrated that a person’s physical health is indeed affected by his mental attitude. For example, studies have shown that persons who are prone to express anger often have the highest levels of blood pressure. Some reported that anger produced cardiac sensations, headaches, nosebleeds, dizziness, or inability to vocalize.

However, the Bible long ago explained: "A calm heart is the life of the fleshly organism."—Prov. 14:30; compare Matthew 5:9."

Deal with those - one by one.

Have fun!

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It is words like those that make me suspect of your conclusions.
I understand. You reject science.
Your embracing of science adorns you with an air of false confidence.
It's not false. Science works. I realize that bothers you, but it happens to be true.
Those bold enough to question it successfully rattles that confidence. You (plural) become defensive and sometimes arrogant and abusive.
Please quote the post where I have become abusive. I strive for courtesy at all times.
You really do not have the right to strut your stuff in the name of science when the conclusions arrived at in some processes are seemingly based on nothing but conjecture.
I understand you see science as nothing more than conjecture. Those of us who choose to live in this century believe it is the single best way to learn about the natural world. Of course, to really demonstrate your sincerity, you should give up all the benefits that science has provided you. You may want to start with your computer.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It is words like those that make me suspect of your conclusions.
Your embracing of science adorns you with an air of false confidence. Those bold enough to question it successfully rattles that confidence. You (plural) become defensive and sometimes arrogant and abusive.
You really do not have the right to strut your stuff in the name of science when the conclusions arrived at in some processes are seemingly based on nothing but conjecture.

Please show me where I, even once, claimed to base my beliefs on science. It is much too fallible and prone to error.

My beliefs are Bible-based.

Got you. Thanks. My work here is done.

I'm guessing you use science when it suits you though.

RF: Here you have it. An honest creationist. His beliefs are not based on science and not supported by science. They are based entirely on the myth system he has arbitrarily chosen.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
It's either science or it's not. Yours happens to be myth.
How about truth?
The scientific method is the best way we have found to determine what is true about the natural world.
Truth is that which conforms to fact or reality
That's right. It's based on facts.
It is particularly singular.
Don't know what that means.
Science could not be based on absolute truth.
Adding the word "absolute" does not clarify things.
If it was, so many of its conclusions would not be stated in such nebulous terms.
That's right. Science is empirical. There always remains a possibility that a giant squid created the entire world Last Tuesday and invested it with evidence that makes it appear to be 4.56 billions years old, complete with fake fossils and a consistent system of dating that works across all methods. Those of us who live in the real world prefer to adopt its reasonable conclusions, which is that the world really did come into existence ABOUT 4.56 billion years ago, and that's why all the evidence on it points to that conclusion.

But since you hate science, there's nothing for us who accept it to discuss with you. Science says evolution is correct. Myth says it's not. You pick myth; I pick science. I really don't see what else there is to discuss, or how you could possibly discuss it with me without using science. Would you like my snail mail address so you can write me a letter?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

How about truth?
Truth is that which conforms to fact or reality. It is particularly singular.
Science could not be based on absolute truth. If it was, so many of its conclusions would not be stated in such nebulous terms.

Ooh, Looky!
You forgot the rest of it:

Deal with those - one by one.

Have fun!

You and your friend outhouse should start a thread to discuss this fascinating topic where it belongs, which is not here. Derailing other people's threads is bad manners.

btw, I will be happy to join you there. You can tell me all about what the Bible says about slaughtering enemy babies and taking their women as booty, and what percentage of them should be the Lord's portion.

wilsoncole

Got you. Thanks. My work here is done.

I'm guessing you use science when it suits you though.

RF: Here you have it. An honest creationist. His beliefs are not based on science and not supported by science. They are based entirely on the myth system he has arbitrarily chosen.
Myths? See Reply # 723.

Biblical principles NEVER fail.
Myths do. Maybe you can name some principles we can live by, contained in myths, that do not fail.

Got me? On the contrary - I got you!

Remember, you are talking about my BELIEFS!
You do not need to BELIEVE IN things you can see.

Last edited:

wilsoncole

You and your friend outhouse should start a thread to discuss this fascinating topic where it belongs, which is not here. Derailing other people's threads is bad manners.

btw, I will be happy to join you there. You can tell me all about what the Bible says about slaughtering enemy babies and taking their women as booty, and what percentage of them should be the Lord's portion.
It would be my pleasure.
Since you seem to already know what it says, I have to wonder if you understand any of it.
I do not believe it is possible for any unbeliever to understand the Bible.
So you are bound to draw wrong conclusions.

But not now.
Must go to work.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Does science tell us about about mankind's spiritual need?
Let's hear it!

Myths? See Reply # 723.

Biblical principles NEVER fail.
Myths do. Maybe you can name some principles we can live by, contained in myths, that do not fail.

Got me? On the contrary - I got you!

Remember, you are talking about my BELIEFS!

Yes, I understand completely. You base your beliefs on the Bible. For some odd reason, of all the world's holy texts you have chosen that one to base your beliefs on. I base my beliefs on science. We have no common basis, and nothing more to discuss. Furthermore, without what I base my beliefs on, science, you have no way to discuss anything with me. Good luck to you, and next time you get sick, I suggest sacrificing the right animal. The Lord delights in burnt offerings.

btw, if you want to discuss the accuracy of the Bible, I would be happy to meet you in a thread for that purpose. Of course, I would use science as a way to test its accuracy. If you reject science, we might not have much to discuss there.

The fact is, the Bible and science disagree. I have chosen one; you the other.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Please show me where I, even once, claimed to base my beliefs on science. It is much too fallible and prone to error.

My beliefs are Bible-based.

You're wrong - again.
I do not dismiss ALL scientific findings.
I stand corrected, to clarify, you dismiss all scientific evidence that does not mesh with your biblical beliefs.

What does the Bible have to say about the fossil record?

wilsoncole

I stand corrected, to clarify, you dismiss all scientific evidence that does not mesh with your biblical beliefs.
In what way are you different from me?
You dismiss all biblical beliefs that does not mesh with your scientific evidence.

What does the Bible have to say about the fossil record?
What does the fossil record have to say about mankind's spiritual need?

wilsoncole

Yes, I understand completely. You base your beliefs on the Bible. For some odd reason, of all the world's holy texts you have chosen that one to base your beliefs on. I base my beliefs on science. We have no common basis, and nothing more to discuss. Furthermore, without what I base my beliefs on, science, you have no way to discuss anything with me. Good luck to you, and next time you get sick, I suggest sacrificing the right animal. The Lord delights in burnt offerings.

btw, if you want to discuss the accuracy of the Bible, I would be happy to meet you in a thread for that purpose. Of course, I would use science as a way to test its accuracy. If you reject science, we might not have much to discuss there.

The fact is, the Bible and science disagree. I have chosen one; you the other
The Bible and science does not disagree.
That happens only when persons attempt to use science to disprove or discredit the Bible.

A Scientist Examines The Bible
The Bible contains various statements for which independent physical evidence is lacking. For example, what it says about an invisible realm inhabited by spirit creatures cannot be proved—or disproved—scientifically. Do such unprovable references necessarily put the Bible at odds with science?

This was the question facing a planetary geologist who began to study the Bible with Jehovah’s Witnesses some years ago. "I must admit that accepting the Bible was difficult for me at first because I could not prove some Bible statements scientifically," he recalls.
This sincere man continued studying the Bible and eventually became convinced that the available evidence demonstrates that it is God’s Word.
"This lessened the yearning to have every Bible fact proved independently," he explains. "A person with a scientific inclination must be willing to examine the Bible from a spiritual standpoint, or he will never accept the truth.
Science cannot be expected to substantiate every statement in the Bible. But just because certain statements are unprovable, that does not mean that they are untrue.
The important thing is that wherever provable the Bible’s accuracy is verified."
(Watchtower 98 4/1 p. 19 Published by Jehovah's Witnesses)

wilsoncole

Yes, I understand completely. You base your beliefs on the Bible........
The fact is, the Bible and science disagree. I have chosen one; you the other.

Why I Believe the Bible—A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story

AS TOLD BY ALTON WILLIAMS
IN 1978 two significant events took place in my life. In September I received my degree as a nuclear physicist, and in December, I was ordained as a minister of Jehovah’s Witnesses.
When people learn that I am a scientist as well as a Witness, they often wonder how I reconcile my scientific knowledge with my belief in the Bible. Granted, for years I too wondered whether scientific knowledge and belief in the Bible could go together. Eventually, though, I became fully convinced that the Bible is in harmony with scientific fact. How did I reach that conclusion? Please allow me first to relate how I became a scientist.
A 19-Year Project

I was born in 1953 in Jackson, Mississippi, U.S.A., the third of 11 children. Our family was poor. We often had to move from one house to another because my parents could not pay the rent. We received most of what we ate through a government food-subsidy program, and the secondhand clothing we wore was given to us by people for whom my mother cleaned houses and offices.
My parents often reminded us children that the only way out of poverty was to get a good education. As a result, at a very early age, I set my mind on obtaining a college degree. I started school at the age of six, and I continued my schooling without interruption for the next 19 years. I enjoyed science and mathematics, so once I entered college, I began to pursue a career as a scientist.
While in college, I met a young woman named Del. A science professor had referred her to me so Del could get some help with a science course she was taking. Soon, though, our conversations went beyond science, and we fell in love. We were married on January 10, 1974—during a two-hour interval between classes! Four years later, in 1978, I finally received my doctorate.
I had achieved what I thought was the key to success. I was a scientist—and a nuclear physicist at that! With my newly attained degree in theoretical nuclear physics in hand, I could begin to reap the fruitage of my long studies. I was eager to make a name for myself in the scientific arena. In addition, I could now choose a job from among the many lucrative offers made by private companies and government institutions.
However, a few months later, on December 30, 1978, I took a step that soon proved to have even more influence on my life and future than my newly attained degree. On that date, I symbolized my dedication to Jehovah God through water baptism and thus became one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. How did that step come about?

(AWAKE! 04 1/22 pp. 19-20 "Why I Believe the Bible—A Nuclear Scientist Tells His Story")

wilsoncole

Originally posted by Autodidact
The fact is, the Bible and science disagree. I have chosen one; you the other

The Bible and science does not disagree.
That happens only when persons attempt to use science to disprove or discredit the Bible.

A Book Sparked My Interest
In the latter part of 1977, while I was studying at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst, two Witnesses knocked on the door of my apartment. I was away, but my wife was at home with our children, a three-year-old and a newborn. Del invited the Witnesses in. After a pleasant conversation, she agreed to have the Witnesses visit her once a week to conduct a Bible study with her.

When my wife informed me of this arrangement, I immediately opposed her. I didn’t mind that she wanted to join a religion—but not Jehovah’s Witnesses! Actually, I did not know much about the Witnesses, but I had a preconceived idea that they were a strange group that used the Bible to deceive people.

So, in an effort to free my wife from what I considered to be the grasp of the Witnesses, I thought that I would use my scientific knowledge to discredit their teachings.
One week I took a break from my research work at the university and went home to be present during my wife’s Bible study. However, I arrived home later than I had planned, and the woman conducting the Bible study was about to leave. She gave me a book entitled Did Man Get Here by Evolution or by Creation? Also, she told my wife that during the Bible study scheduled for the following week, they would consider a Bible prophecy showing that 1914 was a significant year. That was exactly the opening I needed! I told the Witness that I would be at home for the next Bible discussion. I wanted to check the mathematical accuracy of what she was going to discuss about the year 1914.

That same night I began reading the book that the Witness had left. Frankly, the contents impressed me. It was written in a logical manner, and it contained numerous scientific references concerning the subject of evolution. To my surprise, I learned that the Bible contains much more exact information regarding creation than I had previously realized. I finished examining the book in a few days and had to admit that what the Bible actually states about creation does not contradict the known scientific facts concerning life on earth.”

Determined to Find Inconsistencies
Nevertheless, I was still skeptical about the teachings of the Witnesses, and I was looking forward to doing a mathematical check of the Bible prophecy concerning the year 1914. I thought that this approach would no doubt intimidate the Witness and, hopefully, help my wife to see the error of the beliefs taught by the Witnesses.
The following week the Witness returned accompanied by a man who was one of the elders in the local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses. The elder conducted the Bible study. He considered the prophecies found in chapters 4 and 9 of the Bible book of Daniel, concerning the appearance of Jesus as Messiah and King. My mind was set on finding mathematical inconsistencies in the presentation, but I found none. On the contrary, I was again impressed by the logic of the information contained in the Bible.

(AWAKE! 04 1/22 p. 20 Published by Jehovah’s Witnesses)