• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does the Five Pointed Star Mean to You?

Liu

Pointing down it's a symbol of my religion.
There are many interpretations of it, but typically the one point it rests upon symbolizes the self, consciousness etc. as the central aspect everything depends upon.

Pointing up, it's a symbol utilized especially by some neo-pagan religions.

Independent of direction it often represents victory in video games.

And it's a quite interesting mathematical figure, especially in regards to the golden ratio.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I've seen the five pointed star used in several applications with regard to religion or practice, from the five wounds of Christ in Christianity (many in the south adorn their house with one), to the elements in Neo-Paganism (the pentagram), to the five points of felicity in Freemasonry (also the pentagram), to Sigil of Baphomet in the Church of Satan.

What does the five pointed star mean to you?

If it is right side up, it is the placement of spirit over earthly things (Top point: spirit, followed w/air, fire, water, earth). Whereas point down (like w/Baphomet), is placing Earthly needs, over Spirit. Neither is incorrect, they are just used in different ways.

Edit: I typically combine the two, w/their respective interpretations into a unifying symbol called a Decagram (10 point star)

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically it's 7 points on a Sheriff's badge :)

It looks like there is a bit of variance in this:

sheriff's badge at DuckDuckGo

I see a lot of 5 and 6 pointed sheriff's badges and a few 7 pointers. What is amusing is that there are two different 7 pointed stars, a fat one and a thin one, and the badges I saw all have the fat version. The difference is that in the fat version there is one vertex along each straight 'edge' while in the thin version there are two. The thin one looks more like a 5 pointed star.

In answer to the OP, a 5 pointer doesn't mean a whole lot. It's a 5-skip-1 star which has a lot of associations with the Golden Ratio.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
The Planet Venus as the Morning Star and the Evening Star, Venus transit cycles, and the Egyptian Duat (underworld.)
2004.gif

QuestioningMind

I've seen the five pointed star used in several applications with regard to religion or practice, from the five wounds of Christ in Christianity (many in the south adorn their house with one), to the elements in Neo-Paganism (the pentagram), to the five points of felicity in Freemasonry (also the pentagram), to Sigil of Baphomet in the Church of Satan.

It means a star with one less side that a six sided star and one more side than a four sided star.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
There's also the diagram of the interaction cycle of the 5 chinese elements (Wu Xing)
300px-Wu_Xing.png

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

i am the bright and morning star!!!!

whirlingmerc

I don't think it always means the same thing
The 5 pointed start is a symbol of Texas or Texaco or a deputy for example

And upside down 5 pointed start on the other hand can be occult

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..

Stanyon

WWMRD?
If it is right side up, it is the placement of spirit over earthly things (Top point: spirit, followed w/air, fire, water, earth). Whereas point down (like w/Baphomet), is placing Earthly needs, over Spirit. Neither is incorrect, they are just used in different ways.

Edit: I typically combine the two, w/their respective interpretations into a unifying symbol called a Decagram (10 point star)

I was going to mention that one but my interpretations as to meaning, purpose, and use are a lititle different.