• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does the Bible say about the origins of the Earth in relation to what science say?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Wandering Monk said:
Except if you look at the lineages of the people mentioned in Jesus' genealogy, the NT leaves people out.

The probable reason that the NT settles on 14 generations is that the name 'David' has a numerical value of 14 in the Hebrew language. It was just more mystical story telling.​

So, you are admitting that the Bible contains lies when it was convenient for the authors to insert them.

Maybe the authors also lied about the Flood and the Ark.

Maybe the authors also lied about Adam & Eve.

Maybe the authors also lied about God creating anything in any period of time.

Huh? I wrote the Bible is consistent with what scholars affirm--"son of" doesn't always mean "son" but can mean "far-removed descendant". In Jesus's case as Son of David, 1,000 years and over 14 generations are included!

I don't mind debating the Bible, I do mind debating your presumptions as to WHAT IT ACTUALLY SAYS.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
WOW! You are really trying to insert a major diversion here. Who cares about world leaders.

The genealogies in the Bible are either true or they are fiction. If they are true, they can be used to pinpoint the age of The Flood.

If they are false, then everything else in the Bible can be false also. How do you decide?

Let's redact your statement to "It's REALLY upsetting that the truth is a Flood narrative covers the arc of human history, so I'll goalpost shift."

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Neither can we assume that missing generations results in any kind of reconciliation between a young(ish) earth and the actual geologic age of earth.

I have a dollar that says you hadn't heard before I post it now that the "geologic age" of Earth is not assumed from EARTH GEOLOGY.

ecco

Veteran Member
Mat 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Mat 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
Mat 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
and

Isa 29:13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

Interesting.
You post a verse about hypocrisy.
You post a verse about praying.
Are you a Protestant who does not pray in church?

I guess when you were talking about robotlike rituals you were taking a stab at Catholics.

ecco

Veteran Member
Huh? I wrote the Bible is consistent with what scholars affirm--"son of" doesn't always mean "son" but can mean "far-removed descendant". In Jesus's case as Son of David, 1,000 years and over 14 generations are included!

I don't mind debating the Bible, I do mind debating your presumptions as to WHAT IT ACTUALLY SAYS.

I have been consistently referencing the word "begat" in the genealogies.

You are the one who is trying to substitute "son"

Be honest.

Now, either debate the genealogies or admit Bishop Ussher was right.

ecco

Veteran Member
Let's redact your statement to "It's REALLY upsetting that the truth is a Flood narrative covers the arc of human history, so I'll goalpost shift."
I haven't shifted goalposts.
I wouldn't write something as convoluted as in your silly attempt to mimic me.

Stick to arguing against Bishop Ussher's age calculation.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
A statement without any credibility!:rolleyes:
I wonder if you know of anyone who has Not heard of the Bible __________
The fact that Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 has reached the far corners of Earth adds to biblical credibility.
Modern technology has made possible rapid Bible translation so that people in remote areas have Bible access.
Remote translation offices translate right where people live so people have Scripture in their own mother tongue or native languages.
No other book has been translated into as many languages as the Bible has.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Good morning to you too. I am always up by 6.30am, have my daily walk, my chores etc before putting my computer on about 8am. I am now going to have my breakfast, a cup of coffee, an apple, banana and a couple of brioche rolls. I am sure your really wanted to know that.:D

Tell us when feeling well if you have ever tired of eating or did Not look forward to another meal _______________
The Bible's promise is that you can live forever on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was.
There will be ' healing ' for all nations - Revelation 22:2; Isaiah 35th chapter.

SA Huguenot

Interesting.

I guess when you were talking about robotlike rituals you were taking a stab at Catholics.
I do not go to church, I go to any Church.
I dont like the ritualistic worshi, Calvinist regulations etc.
I believe in the Trinity, and the Bible.

SA Huguenot

I'm not a moderator. However, I do feel the need to point out that this is not a dating site.
hey pal, If the lady are friendly with me, it does not mean she is flashing eyes....
However, It was nice to learn somethin about her life. it gives a much more pesonal feeling when one reads her posts now.
perhaps You should tell us what time you wake up?

SA Huguenot

Interesting.

I like to go to the Catholic Church too.
But also just as much rituals as the Dutch reformed and Anglican.
My favorite church is the informal ones amongst the Colored people in South Africa, They are true and non pragmatic.
They do great work in the Muslim evangelism sector, and support their communities.

Anyhow, I go to any Church where Jesus Christ is worshipped.
Greetings

JJ50

Tell us when feeling well if you have ever tired of eating or did Not look forward to another meal _______________
The Bible's promise is that you can live forever on a beautiful paradisical Earth as Eden originally was.
There will be ' healing ' for all nations - Revelation 22:2; Isaiah 35th chapter.

I don't understand your question?

sooda

Veteran Member
I haven't shifted goalposts.
I wouldn't write something as convoluted as in your silly attempt to mimic me.

Stick to arguing against Bishop Ussher's age calculation.

Usher starts by accepting the great ages of the patriarchs.

SA Huguenot

Usher starts by accepting the great ages of the patriarchs.
For what it is worth, Usher took the Biblical dates and ages to calculate the date of Adam's creation.
I have his book and agree with what he calculated.
is there a mistake somewhere?

Wandering Monk

For what it is worth, Usher took the Biblical dates and ages to calculate the date of Adam's creation.
I have his book and agree with what he calculated.
is there a mistake somewhere?

Just that different manuscript of the OT give different genealogies and ages. Compare the Septuagint against the Masoretic that Ussher used.

SA Huguenot

Just that different manuscript of the OT give different genealogies and ages. Compare the Septuagint against the Masoretic that Ussher used.
Now I got the argument.
TNX mate.
it does not change a lot.
Then if we take the DSS and Septuagint, they relate and are much older.
anyhow, Usher used the Septuagint if I am correct.