1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What does the Bible say about the origins of the Earth in relation to what science say?

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by SA Huguenot, Jul 1, 2019.

1. SA Huguenot

SA Huguenot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    Protestant
    I know the theory, but I have a problem with the Time dilation and length contraction in SR, But it does not change the fact that the Bible claims an age of the Earth of 6000 years+ zero time.
    I believe that there were galaxies created before the Solar system, and that it could be billions of years of light travelling from its original position, it does not mean the Bible is wrong.

2. Wandering Monk

Wandering Monk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,466
    Religion:
    agnostic
    Yeah, for the 'duh' obvious reason that the Bible doesn't give scientific details of creation. The correspondences you are making are only inferences.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Subduction Zone

Subduction Zone Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +24,523
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Our Solar System is about 4.6 billion years old. How do you interpret Genesis to agree with that?

our Sun was formed before the Earth. How does your book of myths deal with that?

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. corynski

corynski Reality First!
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Religion:
    none ........
    Perhaps...... and yes, I've thought about it, and I've read the book a couple of times. I'm open to rational theory and evaluations regarding the Book, especially on this site.

So, is there any reason to suppose that a god would not be a rational being? So many puzzling things though, such as why would a god create beings such that each had to eat some other living being, just to stay alive? I'm told that went on for hundreds of thousands of years, and shows up at 2 Kings 6:29 where the women are cooking up a child during a famine.

And I'm always left with so many questions, such as why would God kill Uzzah?

Peace.......

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. JJ50

JJ50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,162
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    It doesn't, although no doubt the YECs will come up with some excuse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. SA Huguenot

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Wow,
    So you just did not read anything I posted.
    Incredible.
    The Bible Does not say God made the Sun and Moon on the 4th day, it says God placed the Greater and lesser Luminaries to shine on the atmosphere, and the stars also.
    As we saw with the nebular theory, the Sun originally gave off a dim red glow, due to not ignited fully for 3 more days.
    This was the Light God said there should be on day 1.
    As the gravitational forces of the Sun continued to increase, the Sun ignited to its fullest.
    The Bible duration for this to occur, 4 days.
    And on the 4th day the light shone clearly, reflecting the Moon and other planets.

7. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +24,523
    Religion:
    Atheist

You need to reread Genesis. It says that God made the Sun and the Moon on the fourth day. It is wrong. Do you need me to quote it for you? And please, you do not understand the nebular hypothesis.

But if one is willing to butcher both the Bible and science I suppose one could get them to "agree". Except for the fact that plants were made on the "third day". That really screws up your timing.

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,349
    I find the Bible says God had No beginning because God is from everlasting as per Psalms 90:2.
    I find the Bible says that pre-human Jesus is the beginning of the creation by God as per Revelation 3:14 B; 1:5.
    So, only God was ' before ' the beginning, and Jesus was Not before the beginning as God was before the beginning.
    Besides the apostles, the spirit demons know who Jesus is according to Luke 4:41.
    Since Jesus believes his God is greater than he is as per John 14:28, that is why at John 10:29 says that the Father is greater than ALL.
    Since Jesus did Not resurrect himself, but his God resurrected Jesus - Acts 2:24, 32; 3:15; 5:30; Colossians 2:12 - then it is the God of Jesus who is the greater or the greatest.
    Jesus does Not lie, so his answer is truthful as found at John 10:36 that He (Jesus) is the Son of God.

9. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,349
    You are right! God ' made ' the Sun and Moon on the 4th day.
    Please notice the word ' made ' is a different Hebrew word than the word ' create ' at Genesis 1:1
    So, as a parent can pro-create and make a child, then the made child can be ' made ' to sit in a chair, etc.
    So, God made the already existing Sun and Moon do something.
    He thus made the existing Sun and Moon rule or govern over the day and night.
    My high school English teacher must have understood the difference in those words and wanted us to know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +24,523
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Sorry, you are not using those words correctly. At least not in English. In another language possibly, but I have my doubts. You would need to be able to support that claim.

11. SA Huguenot

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Totall off the topic at hand.

12. SA Huguenot

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Ok, except that upu are off the topic, you should tell me if God instructed that canibalism?
    did he approve of it?

13. SA Huguenot

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Please show me where does God say he made the Sun, Moon and stars on the 4th day?
    When I, and Emmanuel kant read this, we saw that the word Maor which is simply "light". A Greater, gadol maor, and a lesser gatan maor.
    Now, if the words for Sun was Shemesh, and for Moon it was yareach, in Gen 1: 7, your interpretation would have had solid ground.
    look at Genesis 37: 9 where the Sun, Moon and Stars bowed down to Joseph as reference.

Therefore this verses about the Sun, Moon and Starsin Gen 1:16 does not say the Sun and Moon, but the light of the Sun and Moon shined on the atmosphere for the first time.
    Considering that the English translation also say, god made the Stars also, is also incorrectly translated.
    The Hebrew does not have "He bade also..."
    therefore the words in Genesis 1: 16 actually say.
    The Light of the Sun, and the light of the Moon, and the stars shined on the Firmament.

It is just incredible how these small details were missed out by us the reader, due to our pre conceived ideas on what we experience today.
    I bet you if you read Genesis 1: 1 to 30, you always saw an Earth and Sun as we see today.
    Well, it is incorrect, everything was still premordial, dark, shaping and so on.

In conclusion, anyone who claim that the Bible say the Sun, Moon and Stars was made on the 4th day, is willfully attempting to force something into the creation story that does not exist.
    Greetings

14. sooda

sooda Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,396
    Religion:
    Christian
    Have you read History Begins at Sumer by Kramer?

Foundation myths

15. Subduction Zone

Ratings:
    +24,523
    Religion:
    Atheist
    God does not say that at all. I thought that we were discussing the Bible here.

Reinterpreting after the fact. Sorry, not too impressive.

16. SA Huguenot

Ratings:
    +377
    Religion:
    Protestant
    Well, dont make an accusation, show me where I am wrong.

17. RESOLUTION

RESOLUTION Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Religion:
    I am what I am
    Dim witted would apply better to your answer in the face no human being evolved as a baby.
    You see this world could not exist with all the life forms if all humans created babies. It makes perfect logical sense that human beings had to be created adults.
    1. Babies cannot have more babies or survive without parents. 2. Without adults how would you get the first baby?
    You need to argue about the contents of the bible. Could humans and animals survive on gases in space.
    Logic tells you this thread and the arguments rely on what is. The fact is without God creating humans as adults and animals too there would not be a lot of life around.
    So nothing dim witted about God creating human adults or a mature earth, You need to concentrate on what is being discussed and the fact no matter
    what you want to believe babies did not just appear on the earth.

I am happy you pointed it out. Only an ignorant person would point this out on a thread titled:- '
    What does the Bible say about the origins of the Earth in relation to what science say?'

In reality the thread is about what the bible says about the ORIGINS of the earth and in relation to what science says the fact God created it in 6 days in the bible resting the 7th
    shows the bible is not talking about anyone but God creating it. If you look at science then science cannot offer an explanation but the bible shows he created Adam and Eve adults.
    The world was formed to a stage life and plants could live.. If anyone should be embarrassed about what you have said, IT IS YOU.

• Like Like x 1
  18. RESOLUTION

RESOLUTION Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Religion:
    I am what I am
    Who do you believe the author of the bible to be and how can you assume such evidence that God spoke it into being as him not knowing how the universe came into being.
    He knows all the stars and each by name. Men in all ages know God by the presence of his Holy Spirit. The truth has always come to man by Gods Holy Spirit and it would be difficult
    for atheist or Muslim to know or understand this concept, let alone believe the above.

When God gave us creation and created us, he gave us the greatest evidence of his existence. Science does not know how life came into existence in the first instance.
    Most atheists do not understand the process of scientific methods and reasoning. They read books and make claims based on what they believe someone else has proved but have not
    the mind to fathom it out. But in the case of creation God holds the only answer to the diverse life forms and the reason why there has been nothing coming from any none life form.
    It is life begating life and always has been. Since God first created it. The old joke where the scientist and God have a competition to recreate the first man.
    The scientist bends down to take some soil from the ground and Gods says to him. " Oh no, you must get your own soil." You see the point i life came from God he can create everything from scrat
    ch. But man cannot only observe and test what God the LORD, has created. As God spoke everything into being then a power exists beyond the created and God changed the soil when man fell
    so if they tried they cannot create anything from the original source God formed man from. As the life came from the breath of God man cannot create the essence of life, either.

• Like Like x 1
  19. RESOLUTION

RESOLUTION Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Religion:
    I am what I am
    You know that is not true and it does nothing to support them or your own ability to actually respond the thread itself.

My evidence is the fact you cannot put mature humans, plants and animals on gases and expect them not to float into space. The thread is clear it is about what the bible says. So we can only
    go from what it says and science not a personal point of view which in no way, (like your post) relates to the topic at hand.
    The rest is nothing to do with the topic either because we are not discussing individual beliefs we are looking at what the bible and science says. They do not support you or the other poster
    regarding the bible. Best to remain quiet than show your inability to post in line with the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Audie

Audie Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,765
    Religion:
    None
    Is English your second language? It is my second
    language, so if you are still a beginner, I will
    understand.