• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "take away the sins of the world" mean?

"an expression of His will" still leaves what you mean by "will" mysterious.

To say that something is a violation of God's will is akin to saying that something is a violation of what God wants. But since we're talking about God, the phrase 'what God wants' is inappropriate for several reasons, and so 'God's will' is used instead. To say that God 'wants' something implies some lack or need on God's part, which is logically inconsistent with the concept 'God'. It also leaves the fulfillment of that want in doubt. What God wills - or the noun phrase 'God's will' - removes both of these objections from the table, appropriately in my opinion. So in answer to your question, I think/hope, 'will' is used in reference to God in roughly the same way one would use 'desire' of any other being.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
To say that something is a violation of God's will is akin to saying that something is a violation of what God wants. But since we're talking about God, the phrase 'what God wants' is inappropriate for several reasons, and so 'God's will' is used instead. To say that God 'wants' something implies some lack or need on God's part, which is logically inconsistent with the concept 'God'. It also leaves the fulfillment of that want in doubt. What God wills - or the noun phrase 'God's will' - removes both of these objections from the table, appropriately in my opinion. So in answer to your question, I think/hope, 'will' is used in reference to God in roughly the same way one would use 'desire' of any other being.

You still haven't made it clear what you mean by "will".
To me, you seem to be using the word 'will' as being equal to 'desire'.
And the word 'desire' is used to express exactly what someone wants.

You still haven't made it clear what you mean by "will".
To me, you seem to be using the word 'will' as being equal to 'desire'.
And the word 'desire' is used to express exactly what someone wants.

You're close. In a manner of speaking it is God's desire, provided you understand that God's desire(s) cannot be thwarted or frustrated. God's desire(s) will prevail. This is true of no other being; hence the use of the word 'will' in reference to God. These may seem like unnecessary distinctions, but to use words like 'desire' or 'wants' implies less force and certainty than are appropriate for an absolute being.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You're close. In a manner of speaking it is God's desire, provided you understand that God's desire(s) cannot be thwarted or frustrated. God's desire(s) will prevail. This is true of no other being; hence the use of the word 'will' in reference to God. These may seem like unnecessary distinctions, but to use words like 'desire' or 'wants' implies less force and certainty than are appropriate for an absolute being.

Quite in fact, if that is how you see it, then the word 'will' is still quite lacking, don't you agree?

This term is used very often when referring to any person that holds "power" such as the monarchy, just as an example.

Quite in fact, if that is how you see it, then the word 'will' is still quite lacking, don't you agree?

This term is used very often when referring to any person that holds "power" such as the monarchy, just as an example.

Right....any "person", i.e. human being. A human being's will is not absolute, unthwartable. The word 'will' is used of a monarch to suggest power and authority, but being human he/she lacks the actual power to effect his/her will absolutely - thank God!. This is not true of God, though. His will is absolute because He is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, so His will cannot fail or be violated. Hence my point that sin is an illusion - not actually possible. It is only the false belief by Man that he has the power to thwart God (which is pride or hubris in my book) that leads him to believe he can sin, turning him into a 'sinner'.