• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "spiritual practice" means to you?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Lately it has felt like some people does not understand the meaning of the phrase spiritual practice.
It kind of seems like the part of "practicing " the teaching is lost or misunderstood?

Is it difficult to understand what spiritual practice is?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Lately it has felt like some people does not understand the meaning of the phrase spiritual practice.
It kind of seems like the part of "practicing " the teaching is lost or misunderstood?

In my understanding, the terms "spiritual practice" and "religious rituals" mean basically the same thing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In my understanding, the terms "spiritual practice" and "religious rituals" mean basically the same thing.
Then we understand it differently:)

Religioues ritual is just a ritual one do for example in a church, temple or mosque.

The spiritual practice is everything from reading the teaching, and practicing what the teaching telling us how to become a better person. Morality, virtue, letting go of attachments,

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

Spiritual Practice is just that, the act of practicing ones spirituality and in what ways they do that. It encompasses a large array of human activity, from Ritual, to prayer, to meditation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Then we understand it differently:)

Religioues ritual is just a ritual one do for example in a church, temple or mosque.
... or daily prayers and meditation at home, or saying grace before meals, etc., etc.

The spiritual practice is everything from reading the teaching, and practicing what the teaching telling us how to become a better person. Morality, virtue, letting go of attachments,
Fair enough. Reading scripture, for instance, could be religious practice but not religious ritual.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
... or daily prayers and meditation at home, or saying grace before meals, etc., etc.

Fair enough. Reading scripture, for instance, could be religious practice but not religious ritual.
To speak only from my understanding, meditation and prater would be a part of the practice and not just a ritual. But i realize there maybe many answers to my question.

QuestioningMind

spir·it·u·al
/ˈspiriCH(o͞o)əl/

adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
    "I'm responsible for his spiritual welfare.

Personally I've never had anyone who could adequately define what they mean by 'human spirit' or 'soul' or provide any verifiable evidence that such a thing actually exists.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

To me, it's aspiring to have our actions match our best understanding in every situation. I write 'aspiring' because our reach is usually beyond our grasp. But as we practice, our grasp improves and our reach goes further.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I've come to understand it as mental, the mental realm. We are training our mind/ourself to better deal with reality.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
A spiritual practice is following a discipline and living out the requirements of the discipline to attain to its goals of being enlightened, and improving one's self.

It's a journey of actions designed to produce fruitful results.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I see it as acting in congruence with your personal values, vision, purpose, and beliefs. Rather than spiritual vs material, it's all in the same. Like when you run you feel peace but why run naked? Rituals (or clothes) and other means to help spirituality and practice support each other. From physical idols, scripture, siting postures, and prayer. What does it mean to be spiritual or have a mystic experience in itself when it's not embedded in the mundane (if one likes) actions and tools in life? Of course we can love our parents. What about taking them out? Hugging them? Fixing a meal? Expressing your love? The two go hand in hand or the expression thereof or the love in itself isn't genuine. Anyone can think spiritual but to BE spiritual takes action (aka practice).

InvestigateTruth

Ultimately it means, to serve.
It means showing kindness, forgiveness, righteousness, truthfulness, forgiveness.
It comes from transformation of human into angelic human.
What it takes, is, to say prayers, fasting, not committing fornication, not drinking alcohol, not backbiting, no lying, humbleness, forgiveness, patience, showing kindness to animals, helping poor, being just and fair. Being generous, being detached of materialistic things, and avoid greed, proud, lost.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

simple.....
Do unto others as you would have it done unto you

that would be this life and living

and you should do so because....

It will be done unto you as you did unto others

that would be the spiritual consequence

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Communing peacefully with the body of the Earth and its living Nature that supports the existence of life, and believing it real and honouring its presence and loving it for its support.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Please read Galatians 5:22-23....

The fruitage of God’s spirit are qualities that, really, applying in our lives leads to having great relationships w/ people.

I mean, who doesn’t like being around others who are ‘loving, joyful, peaceable, patient, kind, and good’?

Developing those qualities - and others like them - helps to make one a spiritual person.

Jedster

A spiritual practice is following a discipline and living out the requirements of the discipline to attain to its goals of being enlightened, and improving one's self.

It's a journey of actions designed to produce fruitful results.

Nice.

In other words living one's life consciously.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To speak only from my understanding, meditation and prater would be a part of the practice and not just a ritual. But i realize there maybe many answers to my question.
When I said "daily prayers," I was specifically thinking of the Muslim practice of praying five times a day at set times in a set way. I'd consider that a ritual, even if the person is alone.

And with meditation, I was thinking of the meditation we'd do before our martial arts practice: again, in a set format at a set time.

But yeah - if someone thought "I'm not busy right now - I think I'll spend some time praying or meditating," I probably wouldn't call that a ritual.

To me, a ritual is substantially the same each time it's done.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

The word 'spiritual' means just about anything the speaker wants it to mean. It doesn't mean anything in particular. The only remarkable feature is that it seems to always be attached to something important to the speaker.