• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "Son of God" mean?

What do you take Jesus meaning 'Son of God' to mean?
Why?

Personally, I believe 'son of God' means 'prophet', because I believe 'son' is used in a metaphorical sense, as though 'sons of the household' means servants of the house, so why not servant of God to mean prophet (or holy man, religious man, etc)?

Anyway, that's enough about what I think on the matter. Can you explain how you believe Jesus was the 'Son' of God? Literally, metaphorically? How?

Thanks all!
Odion :)
Hello Breathe/Odion, Jesus is not God’s Son in the sense of a human father and a son. God did not get married and have a son. God did not mate with Mary and, together with her, produce a son. Jesus is God’s Son in the sense that He is God made manifest in human form (John 1:1, 14). Jesus is God’s Son in that He was conceived in Mary by the Holy Spirit. Luke 1:35 declares, “The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.’”

Love, Walter