• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does scripture say about heaven?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I've been curious lately about the idea of heaven in the Abrahamic faiths.

A Christian friend of mine has been reading a book about miracles. In it is the story of a toddler that had a near death experience and was supposedly able to describe things about heaven that a child shouldn't know. According to my friend, the kid's description of heaven matches up with the way it is depicted in scripture. I'm uncertain as to how scripture portrays heaven. From what I can tell, the Bible suggests that when people die, they just die until the resurrection on Judgement Day and then God will make a new heaven and a new earth. I see this as due to the influence of Zoroastrianism.

Is my understanding inaccurate? What verses in the Bible describe heaven? What about the Tanakh and the Quran? What do Jewish people and Muslims believe about heaven?

arthra

Baha'i
I would like to suggest that the "New Heaven and New Earth" have already begun and that a "Day of Judgement" has already happened..

We do see our earth and heaven in ways that are totally "new" from the way they were perceived by most people prior to the nineteenth century.

The significance of words such as resurrection, day of judgement and heaven and hell can have entirely different meanings from how they were defined in past ages...