• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does same-sex marriage have to do with religion?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Some people believe that marriage is a God-given thing and that only those that follow their religion are entitled to a 'true' marriage (which I could care less about; I just want my legal rights) or that since they believe homosexuality is a sin, gays don't have the right to marry. Much in the same way that adult bookstores don't have the right to operate.

Sorry if I'm a little bitter; I'm not trying to make generalizations about anyone here. I know there are just as many kind souls here that think just the opposite.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Depends on which religion you ask. I can only answer for myself, though: No, it's not. It doesn't violate the ideas of patience, compassion or simplicity. There's nothing wrong with it.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Depends on which religion you ask. I can only answer for myself, though: No, it's not. It doesn't violate the ideas of patience, compassion or simplicity. There's nothing wrong with it.
Unless you have a couple of Bridezillas or Groomzillas who want it to be the MOST ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS day ever. : D

Then simplicity goes straight out the window.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
BeautifulMind said:
Sometimes, it seems that for some people, the sum and only point and purpose of their religiosity is to bash gays.

JerryL

How does being homosexual go against religion? Is it that bad?
According to some religions, it is expressly forbidden.

Even in the event that the religion is open to homosexuals, it's possible that the religion sees marriage as narrowly defined to a man and a woman (or women).

I've got a better question: What does marriage hae to do with government?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Same sex Relationships and Marriage Have nothing to do with religion.
Unfortunately some religions try to make it their business.

Terry__________________
Blessed are those who suffer in the cause of right, the kingdom of heaven is theirs.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
BeautifulMind said:

My religion believes in the inherent worth and dignity of every person. Denying some people the same rights other have because of their race, color, gender, disability or sexual orientation is not treating them with them dignity and implies their lives, goals and dreams are less worthy than others. This is why the Unitarian Universalist Association supports same sex marriage and the strive for equality for all.

Fascist Christ

BeautifulMind said:
The Christians hold a majority in the US. The Old Testament is very clear on its position about gays. Many of these people are under the false impression that the US is a democracy and as such they can legislate their religious values. They do not see the line between religious marriage and legal marriage.

They are afraid that if gays are allowed to get married, that they will have to allow it in their church. This is nonsense, as it violates the separation of church and state that they so vehemently oppose when it is in their favor to do so.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
BeautifulMind said:
How does being homosexual go against religion? Is it that bad?

It doesn't go against my religion. We don't judge people based on their sexuality. We are open and welcoming to all without regard to race, color, sex, disability, affectional or sexual orientation, age, or national origin and without requiring adherence to any particular interpretation of religion or to any particular religious belief or creed..

JerryL

It's the rights that marriage grants that involves the government.
Which rights are those? Declaring them next of kin? That could be done without "marriage".

Rights to "half the stuff" in a divorce? That's a bit circular.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
JerryL said:
Which rights are those? Declaring them next of kin? That could be done without "marriage".

Rights to "half the stuff" in a divorce? That's a bit circular.
http://michaelreding.net/lj/Answers.pdf That answers it a bit better than I can.

Fascist Christ

JerryL said:
While I appriciate the refernce, I prefer to talk to people instead of pdf files.
(sigh)
Starting on page 4 (5 according to the pdf file):

Hospital Visitation
Social Security Benefits
Immigration
Health Insurance
Estate Taxes
Retirement Savings
Family Leave
Nursing Homes
Home Protection
Pensions

More details are in the file. There is actually more to it than these, but it does give you a general idea.

JerryL

Fascist Christ said:
Hospital Visitation
Social Security Benefits
Nursing Homes
Family Leave
Immigration
Covered under "next of kin" option
Health Insurance
Pensions
Not controlled by the government
Estate Taxes
Need to get dumped regardless
Retirement Savings
Home Protection
Not sure what is being referred to here.
More details are in the file. There is actually more to it than these, but it does give you a general idea.
I think they could be handled better without marriage.

And if you want to know what I don't want you to simply link to a PDF as a post; it's because the only equitble response would be for me to do the same (http://slate.msn.com/id/2085127/).

Fascist Christ

JerryL said:
Covered under "next of kin" option
Not controlled by the government
Need to get dumped regardless
Not sure what is being referred to here.
I think they could be handled better without marriage.

And if you want to know what I don't want you to simply link to a PDF as a post; it's because the only equitble response would be for me to do the same (http://slate.msn.com/id/2085127/).
Yeah, I would love to abolish marriage. Unfortunately, it is here, and it has it's benefits. I just don't see the logic behind denying that same legal status to a couple based on their sexual orientation.

If you want to use the "next of kin" option, go ahead. That is not an excuse to deny marriage to anyone.

No one is suggesting that insurance be controlled by the governement. It would be much more efficient to be gender-blind in legal marriages than to blame insurance companies for not recognizing a union that the government doesn't even recognize.

I don't agree with your opinion on estate taxes, but there are plenty of other tax benefits that married couples get. An overhaul of the tax system might help, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

And we can go on and on... "how about this instead..." But the fact remains that it would be simplest and most effective to just allow them to marry. What's the worst that could happen? Would it really be that bad?