• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "Mysticism" Mean to You? [Mysticism DIR]

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I have a rather bare-boned view of mysticism, from this definition:

NOUN
mystics (plural noun)​
  1. a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity with or absorption into the Deity or the absolute, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect.​
I do believe in spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond the intellect: psychology of the unconscious. (Which is, by definition, beyond the intellect/ego.)

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I'll finally give my heretical view.
What does mysticism mean to you?

It's an opportunity to work through your psychological hang-ups. (Your mileage may vary.)

What sort of things are included under the category of mystical experiences?
Any sort of experience can be mystical--from a walk in the park to full on mental absorption. If you make space in your mind for a mystical experience, even the most mundane things can be mystical.

Do you believe Ultimate Reality is ineffable? Or can at least some things be said about it? If so, what can be said about it?
The term "ultimate" really doesn't make much sense to me, so I'll say ineffable.

Do you believe that an experience of unity with Ultimate Reality can be brought about through some positive effort or behavior on the part of the mystic?
Like I said earlier, if you make space in your mind for myticism, you can have a mystical experience.

Do you believe that Ultimate Reality is theistic? Or do you believe that Ultimate Reality is non-theistic?
I can't really say. I'm not sure that theistic/nontheistic would even apply to "ultimate reality."

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Mysticism means to me the effort to bridge the gap between the finite limited 'self' or 'I-feeling' and the infinite 'Cosmic Consciousness'.

Hearing certain special sounds and being absorbed into different higher states of mind on the way to losing the limited self to the Cosmic Consciousness.

Do you believe Ultimate Reality is ineffable? Or can at least some things be said about it? If so, what can be said about it?
Nothing can be said about "It" but returning from "It" gives an extremely blissful feeling.

Do you believe that an experience of unity with Ultimate Reality can be brought about through some positive effort or behaviour on the part of the mystic?
Yes, behaviours and manners of thinking and experiencing clash and cohesion can make one lessen the load of samakara's making it easier to let the mind rise to higher levels. However when this exactly happens also depends on cosmic grace, mere willing it does not help.

Do you believe that Ultimate Reality is theistic? Or do you believe that Ultimate Reality is non-theistic?
No, if theism supposes dualism, Ultimate Reality is non-dualistic, the absence of any notion of subject and object and merely Subject.

Do you believe that an experience of unity with Ultimate Reality can be brought about through some positive effort or behavior on the part of the mystic?

What does mysticism mean to you? greater senses - and manipulation of reality through faith and imagination construction (picture comes to mind, you quote it, then associate to current life circumstances)

What sort of things are included under the category of mystical experiences? Faith synchronicities, autonomous structures like golem, or element bending. Faith perception e.g. mind reading

Do you believe Ultimate Reality is ineffable? Or can at least some things be said about it? If so, what can be said about it? He is fair, he's only pushing from 1 side of fear and nothingness towards knowledge seeking.(Him) because Jesus

Do you believe that an experience of unity with Ultimate Reality can be brought about through some positive effort or behavior on the part of the mystic? I'm an Oracle
Theistic