• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it take?

What does it take to be spirtual being?

• Belief is enough

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Everyone are spiritual beings

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • It take dedication and daily practice

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I tend to view virtues as non physical aspects of reality. There is no physical basis of loyalty, and love among other virtues. You simply understand them and are affected or not. There may be feelings associated with the understandings, but the understandings are not physical.

The causes and effects of all the virtues is spirituality to me. There is the world of virtues. The world of vices. And each interplay does bear certain effects.

Oddly enough, i try to cultivate self virtue and selfless virtue equally, or as deserves.
Trouble is i have to go by my own judgment. Im always seeking higher forms of judgment.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Rebirth is a result of not becoming enlighten in this lifetime or previous lifes. so to end suffering the only option is to reach enlightenment and that will end the rebirth cycle. What other things in this world are not something of interest to me at this stage.
The 8 folded path is the path out of suffering and to understand and follow the 5, 8 or 10 precepts

Ok, I guess. This goal of non-rebirth? Well I suppose if you're a materialist, that goal has been reached. No rebirth for me. :D

However I don't really see this life as one of suffering. Perhaps you are seeking a goal that to my perspective, I've already achieved. Just not in the way you assumed it needed to be achieved.

Your spiritual goal, IMO, I've managed to achieve without being spiritual.

PureX

Veteran Member
When it comes to living a spiritual life, What does it take to truly call oneself a spiritual being?
What is needed to gain inner wisdom from a spiritual path in your understanding?
I think we are all 'spiritual beings' living in a physical body. It's not something we have to seek out, or learn how. It's innate, and automatic .... IF we do not choke ourselves up with fear and ago and delusions of righteousness and control.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ok, I guess. This goal of non-rebirth? Well I suppose if you're a materialist, that goal has been reached. No rebirth for me. :D

However I don't really see this life as one of suffering. Perhaps you are seeking a goal that to my perspective, I've already achieved. Just not in the way you assumed it needed to be achieved.

Your spiritual goal, IMO, I've managed to achieve without being spiritual.
Good for you :)
But if you are not spiritual i not sure how you would be able to become enlightened when you do not cultivate a spiritual path. To me this physical life as human being is not the true life that I seek. But i know my path is different to most others here, and that is not wrong in either cases :)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm not even sure what it means to be 'spiritual'.

I guess that means I'm not?
Being spiritual is a way of romanticizing the everyday and the ordinary.

I see it as adding a little salt and pepper here and there that gives things a little extra mental zing and appeal beyond what they actually and really are.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
When it comes to living a spiritual life, What does it take to truly call oneself a spiritual being?
What is needed to gain inner wisdom from a spiritual path in your understanding?
all beings are spiritual, mental.. either negative or positive in every moment.

sealchan

I voted for daily practice...unless you commit to some daily or almost daily exercise that is "non-practical" other than to explore your personal psychology and identify strengths and weaknesses and then undertake actions to nourish your strengths and educate or compensate for your weaknesses, then you are not really doing much of any measurable good IMO.

BUT it is very hard to do this sort of work so it is not a criteria on which I would too harshly judge a person if they are just "breezing through life" in this regard.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Identifying with the body/mind/emotions makes one forget one is a spiritual being
Awareness and realizing one is not the body/mind/emotions opens up inner wisdom

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

The closer to Nature, so the more close to spirit.
The closer to self subsistence, so the more close to spirit.
The closer to self awareness, so the more close to spirit.
The closer to simplicity in all, so the more close to spirit.
The closer to peace, quiet and harmony with all around, so the more close to spirit.

I guess that with long practice, a spiritual person could walk through mayhem and still be at peace within self.

But then, that's just my guess..... :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Good for you :)
But if you are not spiritual i not sure how you would be able to become enlightened when you do not cultivate a spiritual path. To me this physical life as human being is not the true life that I seek. But i know my path is different to most others here, and that is not wrong in either cases :)

OK, but the physical life of a human being is what you have and you know, a bird in the hand...
Might as well make the best of what you got.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
OK, but the physical life of a human being is what you have and you know, a bird in the hand...
Might as well make the best of what you got.
That I do, that is why I turn the attention inward and use my time on dhamma/Dharma cultivation. I do not see any gain in having a lot of money or fancy things to own. But I do see gain in letting things go.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That I do, that is why I turn the attention inward and use my time on dhamma/Dharma cultivation. I do not see any gain in having a lot of money or fancy things to own. But I do see gain in letting things go.

Me too. One financial situation is transient. Nothing to get attached to. Sometimes one's dharma leads to wealth, sometimes it doesn't. Because of that it is not something one's happiness ought to be dependent on.

QuestioningMind

Are you defining spiritual as:

spir·it·u·al
/ˈspiriCH(o͞o)əl/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
    "I'm responsible for his spiritual welfare"
    synonyms: nonmaterial, inner, psychic, psychical,
If so, I have yet to be presented with any verifiable evidence that humans possess anything like a spirit or soul.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member

Hi Amanaki

I believe there is such a thing called ‘spiritual selfishness’ which is often mistaken for true spirituality.

I think there’s way too much focus on things like attaining enlightenment, salvation, going to heaven or preventing being reborn again instead of the urgent need for world peace, unity and reconciliation.

Workman

UNIQUE
How can you know your full limit,
If you don’t know of your off-limits.

The off-limits is where you’ll find it!
For that was my place of death itself.
If you really must know.

It wasn’t until after death of my spirit..
But it was through my understanding of ‘Virgin Mary’..whom open my belief to God.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hi Amanaki

I believe there is such a thing called ‘spiritual selfishness’ which is often mistaken for true spirituality.

I think there’s way too much focus on things like attaining enlightenment, salvation, going to heaven or preventing being reborn again instead of the urgent need for world peace, unity and reconciliation.
As one of those who have started the path, i have compassion for those who suffer in this world, and it is very good for those who can help these people. But there is also the aspect of karma that we must take in to count, It can be that they do suffer because of past accumulated karma (i cannot be 100% sure of that of course) To help them to realise it would be more easy if one had reached enlightenment, but i am not there yet :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How can you know your full limit,
If you don’t know of your off-limits.

The off-limits is where you’ll find it!
For that was my place of death itself.
If you really must know.

It wasn’t until after death of my spirit..
But it was through my understanding of ‘Virgin Mary’..whom open my belief to God.
You can not know your full limit before you get there. To attain wisdom only show you up to the wisdom level you currently are at, but there is a lot more wisdom to attain even we do not see it.

You said, "It wasn’t until after death of my spirit.." What do you mean here? If a spirit died, are you then not gone?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
As one of those who have started the path, i have compassion for those who suffer in this world, and it is very good for those who can help these people. But there is also the aspect of karma that we must take in to count, It can be that they do suffer because of past accumulated karma (i cannot be 100% sure of that of course) To help them to realise it would be more easy if one had reached enlightenment, but i am not there yet :)

They suffer because we do not live in a world of peace where $trillions go to manufacture weapons of war instead of helping the poor. So we do nothing and allow wars to continue? So the oppressed and innocent victims it’s their fault they suffer? I dont buy that. That’s just pure cruelty to assume it’s their karma and leave our fellow humans to suffer don’t you think?