• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does It Take To Be A Christian?

capumetu

1 Peter 2:21

That involves a lot, you have to know Jesus' teachings. The first step of becoming a Christian is John 17:3

capumetu @yours.com

no space after u

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think it takes four attributes to be a Christian:

1. One must know the religion.
2. One must understand the religion.
3. One believe the religion.
4. And one must do the religion.

And I believe that obtaining these four attributes is very hard to do.

Well, all churches, denominations, those who say they are christian, and those who hold christian belief that I know of believe in the sacraments of christ.

So, I think one should not just know the religion "Jesus lived and died for me; therefore, I will be resurrected in christ" but an actual participation in this belief.

The only way, in my opinion, to understand the religion is to experience first hand the sacraments of christ and live through the sacraments not only in mind and understanding but physical action and commitment as well.

Sometimes we trust in things we find hard to believe. For example, my mother finds it hard to show love so would I need to believe first she loves me before agreeing that she does or are there other things that help me understand she loves me literally without my needing to fully believe it (have faith)?

In my opinion, "doing the religion" is participating in the sacraments of christ. If one doesn't do that, they may say they are christian but without going through jesus life, death, and resurrection, I don't see how their belief lines up with their action of devotion.

Each person's religion (devotion to a given faith) is personal and they define it personally. Some focus on what they do others on what they believe. I feel it's somewhat dangerous to go off of what you believe. I believe the Eucharist is Jesus Christ just as I believe spirits exist. To be a christian, I have to do more than just believe in the Eucharist. I'd have to go through the sacraments of christ; and, it's not just daily repentance.

This is for all denominations. They just use different terminology, see it differently, and interpret it differently. So there isn't a universal language for the same belief.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There's the difference between math and religion. The correct answer in math is correct regardless of who solves the problem. In religion, there are no answers that can be much examined. So people must put their faith in humans, who are well known for delusions and mistakes and lies.
Tom
I follow no one....

The Carpenter is my inspiration
but it's up to me to find my way

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Are those the attributes for being a good Christian (in your view), or for being a Christian at all?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
When you come to believe, then you are a Christian, because a Christian is a Christian on the inside, and no outward show or religious ceremony can replace that.

Acts 8:12 But when they believed Philip as he proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

David T

Premium Member
I think I can agree with that. The problem, I think, is that how one should understand Christianity, what constitutes correct belief, and what is the proper observance varies drastically from one sect to the next. If you took Thomas Jefferson's view on Christianity and put it next to CS Lewis and Ken Ham's you'd have three entirely different belief systems.
hell you can throw lewis vs tolkien in there as well, and don't forget john Muir my fav, and Jesus, I don't get an impression many agree or even understand that cat as well. 2,000 years and little has changed. In fact I am not sure he actually exists much inside christianity except as a convient hand puppet.

Riders

Then its just like math!?o_O

According to my old United Pentecostal church: You had to be baptized in the name of Jesus only; That mean NOT THE NAME of the Father Son and Holy GHost:

You had to repent of your sins, believe and be baptized in the hOly SPirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues.

Some of the churches had a strict old timey dress code women had to wear. Long dresses only no slacks, long hair, no trimming it no cutting it, no jewlry and no makeup.

Women had to be plain.

Rapture Era

Hello and welcome to RF.
4xvim2p.gif

I agree....but with some qualifications.....

Do you think the churches of today really "know" what Christianity is?
What I see them believe and practice is nothing like the model Jesus left. It was foretold that Christianity would be corrupted, just like Judaism (the weeds of Jesus parable) So IMO I don't see too many "Christians" today who know what it really means to call yourself a follower of Christ. (Matthew 13:24-30; Matthew 7:21-23)

It's not really a matter of just understanding "the religion", but more a matter of "knowing" God and his Christ and understanding what they require of us. (John 17:3)
Humans invented 'religion', not God. (what 'religion' were Adam and Eve? :shrug:) The only reason that God chose Israel as his people was to separate them from the nations who did not worship the true God. He gave them a unique set of laws and a unique way of worship that set them apart from everyone else.

What does it mean to "believe"?

James wrote...."You believe that there is one God, do you? You are doing quite well. And yet the demons believe and shudder." (James 2:19) 'Believing' then has to be more than just accepting that something is true, because the demons believe in God, but they are sentenced to eternal destruction. (Matthew 25:41)

Perhaps "follow" would be a better word. :) The apostle Peter wrote of Jesus......"He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly." 1 Peter 2:22-23)
He also said...."In fact, to this course you were called, because even Christ suffered for you, leaving a model for you to follow his steps closely."

Following Jesus closely isn't just something you "do"...it is a way of life. A Christian is one 24/7....never off duty.
no.gif

We have to remember that Jesus was perfect...without sin. We, on the other hand, find it difficult at times to maintain Christian standards because we are far from perfect. What are we to do then? Jesus' sacrifice makes it possible for God to forgive us on the basis of Jesus' shed blood. (Hebrews 9:22) This cannot be used as a license to sin, or taken for granted as an excuse to do the wrong thing wantonly; it is a precious gift that only truly repentant ones can receive. The sinning has to stop in order for forgiveness to be given.
128fs318181.gif
Yup, that pretty much covers it! You are spot on!:thumbsup:

Milton Platt

So from the outside looking in, nobody can tell who is a Christain, then.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think this is much too complicated.

How much of the religion must one know? Who determines when you know enough? And how much of it must you need to understand? Certainly there is a measure of the first three... but who determines the amount?

I like what James said (as far as number 4)--But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

What you believe is demonstrated by what you do.

InChrist

Free4ever

I disagree that it takes these four things to be a Christian. From my perspective a person can know the religion, understand the religion, believe the religion, and do the religion and still not be a Christian. Many who have done these things and thought themselves to be Christians, even pastors, have later come to find that they were not Christians at all because while they may have practiced the Christian religion for years they did not not know Jesus Christ personally as their Savior. When this realization hits a person and they at that point give their lives to Jesus the difference is like night and day. Religion is a totally different thing than a relationship with the Living God through His Son Jesus Christ.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I disagree that it takes these four things to be a Christian. From my perspective a person can know the religion, understand the religion, believe the religion, and do the religion and still not be a Christian. Many who have done these things and thought themselves to be Christians, even pastors, have later come to find that they were not Christians at all because while they may have practiced the Christian religion for years they did not not know Jesus Christ personally as their Savior. When this realization hits a person and they at that point give their lives to Jesus the difference is like night and day. Religion is a totally different thing than a relationship with the Living God through His Son Jesus Christ.
So what is your list?

InChrist

Free4ever
So what is your list?
I don't think being a Christian requires or is about having a list, rather it is faith in the One who transforms your life...

But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:8-10

Kenny

Premium Member
I don't think being a Christian requires or is about having a list, rather it is faith in the One who transforms your life...

But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Romans 10:8-10
ditto

Rom 10:13 for, “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

Snugs right into John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
There are many Christians whom I have great respect for. Through their example I have developed the impression that being a Christian is about:

-A spiritual-religious commitment to Jesus Christ and God (however one perceives them and their connection to each other...); an allegience to Jesus Christ and God; the worship of Jesus Christ and God

-The choice to embrace as one's primary spiritual-religious scripture the Holy Bible (especially the New Testament); the utilization of the Holy Bible as a powerful source of strength, power, wisdom, and beauty

-An inclination to look towards the Holy Bible and Jesus Christ for inspiration and motivation in how one chooses to live one's life and interact with the world and humanity

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny

Premium Member
There are many Christians whom I have great respect for. Through their example I have developed the impression that being a Christian is about:

-A spiritual-religious commitment to Jesus Christ and God (however one perceives them and their connection to each other...); an allegience to Jesus Christ and God; the worship of Jesus Christ and God

-The choice to embrace as one's primary spiritual-religious scripture the Holy Bible (especially the New Testament); the utilization of the Holy Bible as a powerful source of strength, power, wisdom, and beauty

-An inclination to look towards the Holy Bible and Jesus Christ for inspiration and motivation in how one chooses to live one's life and interact with the world and humanity
Very well put

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It seems like a lot of people here are equating "Christian" with something like "doing or believing what God or Jesus would approve"; why?

The implication here is that if God were not to exist, then there would be no Christians. Personally, I think this is nonsense. While God's existence is - at best - an open question, I have no problem at all acknowledging that real, actual Christians really do exist regardless of whether God exists or not.

So... can anyone here phrase their definition of "Christian" into terms that would be useful to an atheist? Because if you're going to insist that we use some definition that ties your Christianity to doing the will of God in some way, then I'll insist that there are no Christians.