• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean...?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Sounds to me like you're describing a spontaneous mystical experience.

While this is a very abrupt means to awaken, I'm not sure this is the only way to do so. I think for some it may be gradual...for many over several lifetimes.

Dear SalixIncendium

I suspect that happens too, yes!

I am limited to describing my own experiences of course and find myself now wondering what it would have been like, had they been less “brutal”. I haven’t a clue...

Perhaps some are in need of rude awakenings, whiles others are wise enough to be gently aroused.

Humbly
Hermit

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does it mean in spiritual terms to "Awaken"?
As far as I can tell, it works something like this ─

Salesman: You see, safety isn't important any more if you buy / believe in / embrace the Superzip.

John: By golly, you're right!

Salesman: Ah, you're awakened!

Clara Tea

What does it mean in spiritual terms to "Awaken"?

View attachment 50365
Other posters wrote "blind but now I see" or "accepted God."

It isn't enough to merely know God's teachings, one must atone. For example, the Mafia is highly religious, but they feel that they will be forgiven for any sin (murder, theft, etc)., and they believe that they can ask for forgiveness prior to committing a crime.

Atonement is necessary to get into heaven.

If not, then heaven would be filled with those who did not atone. It would be a hellish place.

So, a big part of spiritual awakening is atonement (swearing that you will never do wrong again and you are sorry for any sin that you have already done). Heaven is for the good spirits, not the bad ones.

RestlessSoul

Other posters wrote "blind but now I see" or "accepted God."

It isn't enough to merely know God's teachings, one must atone. For example, the Mafia is highly religious, but they feel that they will be forgiven for any sin (murder, theft, etc)., and they believe that they can ask for forgiveness prior to committing a crime.

Atonement is necessary to get into heaven.

If not, then heaven would be filled with those who did not atone. It would be a hellish place.

So, a big part of spiritual awakening is atonement (swearing that you will never do wrong again and you are sorry for any sin that you have already done). Heaven is for the good spirits, not the bad ones.

Faith without works is dead, in other words?

I do agree that there is little point being enlightened or awakened, and then carrying on life in the same way as before. Trying to atone for the harm we have done others is an admirable undertaking.

RestlessSoul

Wouldn't we first have to define Asleep?

941E2B37-3DCD-4122-80A1-FA44454772CA.jpeg