• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to search for the truth?

Bree

Truth is the actual facts or information about something, rather than what people believe, think, expect, or make up.

yes i agree, and i would add that truth is different from person to person because they view things from a different perspective . No one perspective is more true then the other. For example, i was speaking with an old german woman who i used to provide geriatric care for and her view of hitler was that he was a good man trying to make life better for his people. She was right, he was trying to make life better for his people but by looking at it from only that perspective she was also very much mistaken.

This is why i dont believe you can find truth here on earth. We must look above for our truth. Gods perspective is the only truth that takes everything into account. He does not favor one over the other because he sees the circumstances of every single person. His truth is always trustworthy and it will always far surpass our own.

Thats why we should seek our truth from his word the bible and let that form the basis for our truth.

PearlSeeker

Greek term for knowledge is gnosis. What is knowledge of spiritual truth?

"Gnosis in Orthodox Christian (primarily Eastern Orthodox) thought is the spiritual knowledge of a saint (one who has obtained theosis)[15] or mystically enlightened human being. Within the cultures of the term's provenance (Byzantine and Hellenic) Gnosis was a knowledge or insight into the infinite, divine and uncreated in all and above all,[16] rather than knowledge strictly into the finite, natural or material world.[17] Gnosis is transcendental as well as mature understanding. It indicates direct spiritual, experiential knowledge[18] and intuitive knowledge, mystic rather than that from rational or reasoned thinking. Gnosis itself is gained through understanding at which one can arrive via inner experience or contemplation such as an internal epiphany of intuition and external epiphany such as the Theophany.

In the Philokalia, it is emphasized that such knowledge is not secret knowledge but rather a maturing, transcendent form of knowledge derived from contemplation (theoria resulting from practice of hesychasm), since knowledge cannot truly be derived from knowledge, but rather, knowledge can only be derived from theoria (to witness, see (vision) or experience).[19] Knowledge, thus plays an important role in relation to theosis (deification/personal relationship with God) and theoria (revelation of the divine, vision of God).[20] Gnosis, as the proper use of the spiritual or noetic faculty plays an important role in Orthodox Christian theology. Its importance in the economy of salvation is discussed periodically in the Philokalia where as direct, personal knowledge of God (noesis; see also Noema) it is distinguished from ordinary epistemological knowledge (episteme—i.e., speculative philosophy)." (Wiki)

MNoBody

Greek term for knowledge is gnosis. What is knowledge of spiritual truth?

"Gnosis in Orthodox Christian (primarily Eastern Orthodox) thought is the spiritual knowledge of a saint (one who has obtained theosis)[15] or mystically enlightened human being. Within the cultures of the term's provenance (Byzantine and Hellenic) Gnosis was a knowledge or insight into the infinite, divine and uncreated in all and above all,[16] rather than knowledge strictly into the finite, natural or material world.[17] Gnosis is transcendental as well as mature understanding. It indicates direct spiritual, experiential knowledge[18] and intuitive knowledge, mystic rather than that from rational or reasoned thinking. Gnosis itself is gained through understanding at which one can arrive via inner experience or contemplation such as an internal epiphany of intuition and external epiphany such as the Theophany.

In the Philokalia, it is emphasized that such knowledge is not secret knowledge but rather a maturing, transcendent form of knowledge derived from contemplation (theoria resulting from practice of hesychasm), since knowledge cannot truly be derived from knowledge, but rather, knowledge can only be derived from theoria (to witness, see (vision) or experience).[19] Knowledge, thus plays an important role in relation to theosis (deification/personal relationship with God) and theoria (revelation of the divine, vision of God).[20] Gnosis, as the proper use of the spiritual or noetic faculty plays an important role in Orthodox Christian theology. Its importance in the economy of salvation is discussed periodically in the Philokalia where as direct, personal knowledge of God (noesis; see also Noema) it is distinguished from ordinary epistemological knowledge (episteme—i.e., speculative philosophy)." (Wiki)
I have heard it called "an Open Secret".

Michael Allen

I spoken a lot about seeking or searching for the truth.
But what am i actually searching for :confused:

What is that truth actually?

What is it you are looking for? Have you already decided what truth is and just want to justify your stand? Or do you really want a reliable source to go to for help?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

There are two things that are required in order to search for the truth.
1. One has to genuinely be open to new ideas. The moment we say we have the answer is the moment we are no longer searching.
2. One has to be brutally skeptical of one's own beliefs. This is the most difficult part, because our biology tends to give us confirmation bias. But it is possible, at least for some people.

alsome

I suppose that anyone that finds the "truth", would be thinking: "How do I know" ? Believers of all chastes believe in their own idols or gods, they think that the invisible ones know the true truth, and they feel that is all that is needed. It's all in `who` wrote the "books".

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Truth is defined as in accordance with reality.

Truth is also upright supreme character and virtue as I understand it.