• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to search for the truth?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No. I think writing "Truth" is an indicator that you don't mean "truth". It is more clear. Just when writing "US" doesn't mean the same as "us". (Though some people don't get it.)
When i speak of truth, it is not anout physical world, onoy religious truth.
Does it exist truth in our physical world? Yes but very different then the truth i seek

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I spoken a lot about seeking or searching for the truth.
But what am i actually searching for :confused:

What is that truth actually?
The definition of truth I use is called the "correspondence" definition.

Truth is a quality of statements. A statement is true to the extent that it corresponds with / accurately reflects objective reality.

rrobs

The short answer:

John 17:17,

Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.​

Etritonakin

I like to think about it mathematically-because there can only be one overall thing which is subdivided and arranged.
As there is only one thing, the most basic logical subdivision is 1/2 and 1/2 (1/2=.5). Though seemingly only a bit more complex, 1/3 and 1/3 and 1/3 is much more complex -and allows for much greater complexity...... so on, etc.
Working backward.... everything is composed of more simple things until irreducibility. Everything is composed of more simple things -but, more correctly, everything is composed of the most simple thing in varying arrangements.
Upon the most simple thing/s all else is built -and such is the reference for all which may thenceforth be true. The characteristics of the most basic allow what may be more complex. Spiritual truths are not simple, but they are composed of simple truths in various complex arrangements.
Untruth exists only in perception/memory/consideration/expression... intentional or otherwise.
Truth simply actually exists.
Most importantly... truth allows for a correct/optimal next step... untruth allows for and ensures error.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
When i speak of truth, it is not about physical world, only religious truth.
Start the other way. Search for untruth, that which does not have evidence, and remove it. You will be left with truth.
I can add a :D, but this is serious matter.
Most importantly... truth allows for a correct/optimal next step... untruth allows for and ensures error.
Untruth leads one deeper and deeper into falsehood till nothing of truth is left.

Last edited:
The truth is the reality, but most people choose what satisfies them best, even if it doesn't match up to the apparent reality, and it is the apparent reality which I think should be considered the Truth, something which can be clearly reasoned.

alsome

Reality is the "truth" ??? Ah the magic in the air, bees don't sting, bullets don't kill, truth everywhere.

Reality is the "truth" ??? Ah the magic in the air, bees don't sting, bullets don't kill, truth everywhere.

I'm not sure what you are saying, but the "Reality" meaning our experience of "reality" like figuring out the boiling temperature of water and seeing that it boils each time at that temperature with the application of heat is what most people tend to understand as "the truth" whereas a lie might be some misinformation regarding the boiling temperature which doesn't work or the claim that no heat needs to applied to get the water to boil or reach the boiling temperature.

So, if a scripture doesn't seem to match up with the standard or obvious seeming reality, then it doesn't seem to be truth or the truth or believable, that is all I was trying to say. Not sure what you are trying to say. I know that the apparent reality can be mangled with, and people can mess with language and descriptions, or claim that bullets don't kill or whatever silliness, but if someone shoots someone clearly, and then someone says they didn't do it, but everyone even saw them do it, and its filmed even, and its so clear they did it, and then this person who denies it says "how did they not kill the person?" and they make some lame brain totally false sounding excuse or mess with words, then they are the liar and what they are saying doesn't match up with the reality, also known as, the truth.

Do you live your life really believing that the sun isn't really there or the Earth could be flat? We accept it to be round, we think the sun is real, though one could say we can't really know that to be the case or make any number of excuses about it, but who actually lives like that? So what is your comment even about anyway? What are you trying to say?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

This seems like a good line of thinking for you to explore.
What do you mean by truth?
Why is it important?
Are truths objective? Subjective?

Might keep you busy for the next 20 years, but the value is in the road...not the destination.
(Imho)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It is the right effort that a man exerts in searching for the Truth, that makes a man worthy.
Not the Truth itself, that a man possesses or believes to possess.

G. E. Lessing

PS: I translated the sentence from German...I hope it makes sense in English.
:p:sweatsmile:

It does!!
It's a little like what I said, but much better stated.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I do not know.
People make a different in daily life, but what i seek is not on earth.
Why is that? The earth is rather large, by that I mean there are so many interesting things I have not seen. I can be fascinated by plants and birds, but do not have time to truly examine them. Right now, however, we have to look for joy, it is not given by the world. To me the world is a sad place, but I look forward to something better for this world. The promise is in the Bible, however.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Why is that? The earth is rather large, by that I mean there are so many interesting things I have not seen. I can be fascinated by plants and birds, but do not have time to truly examine them. Right now, however, we have to look for joy, it is not given by the world. To me the world is a sad place, but I look forward to something better for this world. The promise is in the Bible, however.
Why i do not seek anything on earth? Because earth ( human beings) can not answer the question i wish to understand.

All i care about is how to get in to heaven when my human life enda.

But of cas long as i live here, i will have compassion for all living beings on earth, i will try my best to be good towothers.
I have already traveled half the earth, but found its not so many interesting places. So i am happy where i am

alsome

If spirits are within us, and the rest of the spirits are around us, I for one will be happy to join them.
We can all together follow the Brahman path to nirvana and take vacation in heaven, or remain here, it's more pleasant.
Just more silliness as someone said.

Bree

Someone asked Jesus this very question "what is truth'

Jesus answer: John 17:17 "...your word is truth."

Gods word is where we find truth. The God of the bible Jehovah is the source of all truth and he has made his word available to all mankind....Act 17:26 And he made out of one man+ every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth,+ and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of where men would dwell,+ 27 so that they would seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him,+ although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us.

In his word, he tells us how to find him, he wants us to find him and he makes this guarantee to all of us:
Jeremiah 29:13 “‘
And YOU will actually seek me and find [me],+ for YOU will search for me with all YOUR heart

Search with all your heart...your love is what will draw him to you and he will let himself be found by you.