• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to search for the truth?

alsome

Damned good question, been searching for it for a long, long time.
I'm afraid of what will become the "Truth" when we die, without cognition, how will we really know?
I'm going to "trust" "life", and I will get what I give, maybe a little more. If I have a spirit, go for it !

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I spoken a lot about seeking or searching for the truth.
But what am i actually searching for :confused:

What is that truth actually?

Each of us has some truth they want answered. What searching for this truth means is not giving up and not settling for an untruth. What you will find if you stick to this path is the only real truth. The experiences you get from finding this truth are well worth the search; however, the truth itself you already knew. You will gain a growth in Knowledge, Self and peace by finding it. You don't have to though and you shouldn't purse it abandoning life, you can survive very well without ever realizing it because you already know it.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Okay... but can you define what you mean by spiritual and can you provide an example of a spiritual truth?
Spiritual practice is when doing the things ( in my case) what the Qur'an tell me to do as a muslim, prayer, work on morality, reduce wrongdoing and so on.
Spiritual practice lead to understanding the teaching outside of our physical world. Its how to get to heaven, what is heaven, why do Allah tell us to do all this when we are in physical body.

All about spiritual life has to do with what happens after we die from physical world

QuestioningMind

Spiritual practice is when doing the things ( in my case) what the Qur'an tell me to do as a muslim, prayer, work on morality, reduce wrongdoing and so on.
Spiritual practice lead to understanding the teaching outside of our physical world. Its how to get to heaven, what is heaven, why do Allah tell us to do all this when we are in physical body.

All about spiritual life has to do with what happens after we die from physical world

I'm still looking for an actual definition of what you mean when you use the word spiritual. You defined what your 'spiritual practices' are, but not what you mean by spiritual. From what you've written I can only assume that you mean 'of the spirit' and that you define spirit as some non-physical part of us that survives beyond death.

If that's accurate then my question would be what verifiable evidence do you have that this proposed 'spirit' exists beyond the human imagination?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'm still looking for an actual definition of what you mean when you use the word spiritual. You defined what your 'spiritual practices' are, but not what you mean by spiritual. From what you've written I can only assume that you mean 'of the spirit' and that you define spirit as some non-physical part of us that survives beyond death.

If that's accurate then my question would be what verifiable evidence do you have that this proposed 'spirit' exists beyond the human imagination?
I do not have evidence for others to show, the only evidence needed is for the one practicing a religion or spiritual teaching.
The only way a person can gain his or her evidence is to practice a religion or spiritual teaching them self. Every spiritual teaching become a personal practice, so what i understand of the Islamic teaching, does not mean every other muslim will understand it the same way.

QuestioningMind

I do not have evidence for others to show, the only evidence needed is for the one practicing a religion or spiritual teaching.
The only way a person can gain his or her evidence is to practice a religion or spiritual teaching them self. Every spiritual teaching become a personal practice, so what i understand of the Islamic teaching, does not mean every other muslim will understand it the same way.

Interesting. That's the opposite of what I do when searching for the truth. Your method involves something called confirmation bias. That's when you start off deciding that some proposed claim is true, i.e. 'I possess a non-physical spirit that exist beyond the physical realm,' and then you attempt to find evidence that confirms what you've already decided is true. Unfortunately using this method people can convince themselves that virtually anything is 'true'.

I certainly understand the appeal of such thinking... how comforting it can be to imagine that I possess some non-physical spirit that will survive beyond the death of my physical body. But without any verifiable evidence that I or anyone else actually has such a spirit, it remains nothing more than wishful thinking.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Interesting. That's the opposite of what I do when searching for the truth. Your method involves something called confirmation bias. That's when you start off deciding that some proposed claim is true, i.e. 'I possess a non-physical spirit that exist beyond the physical realm,' and then you attempt to find evidence that confirms what you've already decided is true. Unfortunately using this method people can convince themselves that virtually anything is 'true'.

I certainly understand the appeal of such thinking... how comforting it can be to imagine that I possess some non-physical spirit that will survive beyond the death of my physical body. But without any verifiable evidence that I or anyone else actually has such a spirit, it remains nothing more than wishful thinking.
It is 100% real to me, if it is not for you, that is ok :)

MNoBody

whatever one does, do it with all one's being, sincerely.... continue......what else can a search for truth "mean"
can one dabble in anything and expect golden results?

QuestioningMind

It is 100% real to me, if it is not for you, that is ok :)

That's fine. I was just answering the question you posed in your thread and trying to figure out what you mean by 'truth' and the method you use for determining it. It sounds to me that you're talking strictly about personal 'truths' and not any sort of universal truths that can be shared with others. It's kind of like asking how did you come to the personal 'truth' that strawberry ice cream is the 'best' flavor of ice cream? I guess I'm just confused as to what the purpose was.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I lost my track, not because of my change to Islam, but i dont understand the physical world

I could write something like "the manifestation of the Mind of God" but that's just words.

why do Allah tell us to do all this when we are in physical body.

That one I can write something about. I've read about it in other places. One way to put part of the answer is:

“The virtue of angels is that they cannot deteriorate; their flaw is that they cannot improve. Man's flaw is that he can deteriorate; and his virtue is that he can improve.”
Anonymous
We're not angels, but I think the reality of what happens after the physical body drops may have similarities. From this, the physical body is necessary for progress.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
If i could tell i would, but i can't:)
If i knew the truth i would not need to ask for it :)

For me the words of Jesus are simple......

“Then Jesus went on to say to the Jews who had believed him: “If you remain in my word, you are really my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”” (John 8:31-32)

Remaining true to the teachings of Jesus Christ, will give people a freedom that has to be experienced to understand what it truly means.

Jesus also said...“This is why I have said to you, no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” (John 6:65)

So, there are two important components that are necessary to grasp the truth.....1) sticking to the things taught by Jesus, and 2) having God’s approval so that he will grant you understanding that goes beyond the words that others can read with no response.

Anyone can read the Bible, but unless you have God’s spirit, they will just be dead words on a page. (Hebrews 4:12)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
With me spiritual truth is the only true truth i seek :) scientific truth is nothing i seek

To seek the truth is to seek what is actually noble and just and good. Not just for one's self but for the good of others.

Truth is that which is worthy and deserving.

Truth is not partial and does not discriminate.

On the contrary, the polar opposite of seeking the truth is the media. They sensationalize, opinionize, and launch personal attacks with very little substance or fact. They are not looking to serve the welfare of the people. Instead they want to influence public opinion, and sell their product. Power, lust, and riches blind the proud to the actual truth.

If heaven was nothing but the truth it would be a place of compassion, peace, and benevolent will to the fullest in everybody.

You will find the truth when all fair weather love dies, and only those that stick with you no matter what because they truly love you for what's truly good about you.

I suppose one can live their whole lives and never run across such love. But it's the spirit of truth that has love like that.

It's a lot like those marriage vows, for better or worse, in sickness and in health. There's plenty of people who love the sunshine but never deal with the toughness of times and the adversity of hardship.

So if there was a truth God, that would be absolutely important and an incomparable treasure to know.

Personally I have friends that stick with me, and I, them no matter what happens. I feel sad that a lot of people don't have that kind of truthfulness in life.

If there were a God like this that would solve a lot of problems. Trouble is I'm not out to condemn people for an inability to find such a God.

No better truth than ultimate truth. But I don't want fool's gold or to settle for some substitute that seems and ain't truth. And that's the most important quality in seeking the truth.

It seems reality only has the seek to survive aspect to it. Do or die, and at all costs. Reality is it takes skills to survive. So reality often gets in the way of truth seeking. Blind, indifferent nature is do or die to live, and life is a fleeting trip. That leaves little time, and precious time it is to live your truth.

Heyo

Veteran Member
With me spiritual truth is the only true truth i seek :) scientific truth is nothing i seek
So you aren't looking for truth but for Truth™.

(I'm not a fan of the religious strategy to appropriate words and turn their meaning 180° around. The only result is that communication with believers becomes impossible. But that might be the goal.)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So you aren't looking for truth but for Truth™.

(I'm not a fan of the religious strategy to appropriate words and turn their meaning 180° around. The only result is that communication with believers becomes impossible. But that might be the goal.)
The only thing i am looking for is the spiritual understand of the spiritual teaching i am following, if people do not see spiritual truth as truth, that is their view, not mine :)

Heyo

Veteran Member
The only thing i am looking for is the spiritual understand of the spiritual teaching i am following, if people do not see spiritual truth as truth, that is their view, not mine :)
It's not only their view, it's also their language. When you start to babble, don't question why nobody understands you.
I made a very simple suggestion to prevent that from happening, write "Truth" with a capital "T" (™ sign optional) and most people will know that you aren't talking about the philosophical concept of truth.
Or is it your goal to be confusing?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's not only their view, it's also their language. When you start to babble, don't question why nobody understands you.
I made a very simple suggestion to prevent that from happening, write "Truth" with a capital "T" (™ sign optional) and most people will know that you aren't talking about the philosophical concept of truth.
Or is it your goal to be confusing?
My only goal in life is to one day realize the spiritual truth, nothing else is of interest. If people are confused because of what i write, they can ask questions.
The spiritual journey is a personal one, so when I realize my past understanding was wrong i will correct my self.

I have a feeling ( can be wrong) that non believers want to misunderstand so they can find fault in a believers words.but i do not understand why, because spiritual teaching are answered on a personal level, if I was to share my understanding its not certain that other would understand, because they have their own personal understanding of what spiritual practices is.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have a feeling ( can be wrong) that non believers want to misunderstand so they can find fault in a believers words.but i do not understand why, because spiritual teaching are answered on a personal level, if I was to share my understanding its not certain that other would understand, because they have their own personal understanding of what spiritual practices is.
It's not only non believers. Believers who aren't currently discussing religion are perfectly able to use the common language and my guess is that they'd prefer the clarity to distinguish when a word is used in the common sense or the religious sense.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's not only non believers. Believers who aren't currently discussing religion are perfectly able to use the common language and my guess is that they'd prefer the clarity to distinguish when a word is used in the common sense or the religious sense.
So when writing "Truth" instead of "truth" is unclear what it means? :confused:

Heyo

Veteran Member
So when writing "Truth" instead of "truth" is unclear what it means? :confused:
No. I think writing "Truth" is an indicator that you don't mean "truth". It is more clear. Just when writing "US" doesn't mean the same as "us". (Though some people don't get it.)