• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to not depend on your feelings?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Christians. What does it mean to not depend on your feelings (in regards to advising someone who wants to know about christ)*?

*This is not about me

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
\
To use logic, but that does not help the person in question.

I dont see how that relates. Not all of our feelings are logical.

There must be some sense of not depending on your feelings. Which is different than telling a to-be-christian dont depend on your logic. But thats not the question at hand.

InChrist

Free4ever
Christians. What does it mean to not depend on your feelings (in regards to advising someone who wants to know about christ)*?

*This is not about me
I think it means to trust the word of God and promises in the scriptures above one's own feelings. For example, the scriptures say that those who trust in Jesus Christ for forgiveness and salvation are forgiven and saved for eternity, yet sometimes a person can still "feel" guilty or doubt they have been forgiven by God. Therefore, the importance of depending on God's word which is truth over one's own unreliable and changeable feelings.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I think it means to trust the word of God and promises in the scriptures above one's own feelings. For example, the scriptures say that those who trust in Jesus Christ for forgiveness and salvation are forgiven and saved for eternity, yet sometimes a person can still "feel" guilty or doubt they have been forgiven by God. Therefore, the importance of depending on God's word which is truth over one's own unreliable and changeable feelings.

Ah. I was interpreting it as disregarding one's feelings about christ (say good feelings) for that of trust. Kind of like if I were about to take my relationship to the next level. If we didnt have a good talk about how relationship and good and bad feelings about it but bypass it on trust we'd take a huge nose dive in a serious commitment that was not thought out (I know. Run on.)

Wouldnt one's feelings help one find more trust in god?

Getting to know him through accepting feelings of doubt rather than disregard them entirely?

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
I dont see how that relates. Not all of our feelings are logical.

There must be some sense of not depending on your feelings. Which is different than telling a to-be-christian dont depend on your logic. But thats not the question at hand.

I was meaning that there can be an emotional appeal to be a Christian but not a logical one.

thevoiceofgod

*This is not about me
Most Christians have never heard the voice of the Lord so they don't know what kinds of emotions they would have if they did hear His voice. I don't listen to liars who call themselves Christians.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Most Christians have never heard the voice of the Lord so they don't know what kinds of emotions they would have if they did hear His voice. I don't listen to liars who call themselves Christians.

That is between them and their lord who judges if they are true christians or liers. It shouldnt be our place to judge who is christian because everyone's walk and relationship is different.

Do you know what it means to not depend on your own feelings?

thevoiceofgod

That is between them and their lord who judges if they are true christians or liers. It shouldnt be our place to judge who is christian because everyone's walk and relationship is different.

Do you know what it means to not depend on your own feelings?

All Christians are liars who have no idea what the difference is between them and the spirit. I don't depend on feelings. I speak for our Creator and sometimes it gets emotional when I see one of His chosen believers get excited to hear His voice for the first time.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
All Christians are liars who have no idea what the difference is between them and the spirit. I don't depend on feelings. I speak for our Creator and sometimes it gets emotional when I see one of His chosen believers get excited to hear His voice for the first time.

Why dont you depend on your feelings?

InChrist

Free4ever
Ah. I was interpreting it as disregarding one's feelings about christ (say good feelings) for that of trust. Kind of like if I were about to take my relationship to the next level. If we didnt have a good talk about how relationship and good and bad feelings about it but bypass it on trust we'd take a huge nose dive in a serious commitment that was not thought out (I know. Run on.)

Wouldnt one's feelings help one find more trust in god?

Getting to know him through accepting feelings of doubt rather than disregard them entirely?
I don't think one's feelings should be entirely disregarded. I think feelings are very important in a real and living relationship with Jesus. Have you noticed how much the feelings of David are expressed in the Psalms? I have just found that trusting the scriptures first, over feelings, gives stability and peace. According to the scriptures God renews and transforms the mind of the believer. I think He does this as one reads and believes the scriptures which causes our thinking and even feelings to line up with His truth.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

So he makes people knowing they wont believe in them.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

*This is not about me

As you might know, I do not use the label ''Christian''. There are parralels in belief, however. The OP position is 'wrong', imo. I don't know what it means, I could speculate..

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I don't think one's feelings should be entirely disregarded. I think feelings are very important in a real and living relationship with Jesus. Have you noticed how much the feelings of David are expressed in the Psalms? I have just found that trusting the scriptures first, over feelings, gives stability and peace. According to the scriptures God renews and transforms the mind of the believer. I think He does this as one reads and believes the scriptures which causes our thinking and even feelings to line up with His truth.

Hmm. I liken trust with feelings. If I have raw feelings about something, I dont trust it. So, I am assuming rather than saying "dont depend on your feelings" its more "depend on the feelings that god gave you to trust in him" type of thing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
As you might know, I do not use the label ''Christian''. There are parralels in belief, however. The OP position is 'wrong', imo. I don't know what it means, I could speculate..

Its a common phase that some christians tell to-be believers. I took it as, disregard your feelings and just trust in god. To me, thats like if I have a feeling this guy will hurt me and he offers me a ride, Im not going to trust him first, I will go with my feelings and walk away.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Its a common phase that some christians tell to-be believers. I took it as, disregard your feelings and just trust in god. To me, thats like if I have a feeling this guy will hurt me and he offers me a ride, Im not going to trust him first, I will go with my feelings and walk away.

Ah,,,you mean, it is something told to new believers. Yeah, I suppose that could make sense.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
On that note...if a to-be christian has a bad feeling about god (like my example/#17 with the guy asking me for a ride), should he disregard his feelings and trust him (take the ride) or trust his feelings (and walk away in safety)?

This is taken into account that not everyone has good feelings when they are deciding whether the want to be christian (or have a relationship with christ)

thevoiceofgod

Why dont you depend on your feelings?

I learned everything our Creator wanted me to know without depending on feelings although it was exciting sometimes to learn about the future as I speak for Him. The love of God is knowledge, not some emotion.