• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to let go?

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Hope you're ll feeling good!

I came across an interesting site that discusses what it really means to let go ...

Here is a little taste! -

The Buddha taught that detachment, one of the disciplines on the Noble Path, also called ariyasaavaka, is not a physical act of withdrawal or even a form of austerity. Though the Buddha teaches of a “non-action which is an integral part of the Right Way,” if it is taken out of context it can give the impression that we should develop a lack of concern for others, and that we should live without truly feeling or expressing our emotions – cutting ourselves off from life.

These type of misinterpretations are sadly common, since there are not always direct translations from the Paali language into English.

This form of “detachment” is an erroneous understanding of the Buddha’s message. Master Hanh states that to truly let go we must learn to love more completely. Non-attachment only happens when our love for another extends beyond our own personal expectations of gain, or our anticipation of a specific, desired outcome.

For the full website, try your luck clicking below -

A Zen Master Explains the Art of ‘Letting Go’, And It Isn’t What You Think

Enjoy!

:)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The wy iunderstand Buddha when he spoke about letting go it is the Attachment to all human/physical world. So to be obsessed with worldly wealth is one of the things we as Buddhists should try to no be attached to. Wealth does not automatically make us happy, it can be a worry too "what if i lose all my wealth" or "what if my house burns down" But we can also suffer if we are poor, "how am I going to get food today" or "how am I going to pay my bills"

The suffering in my understanding is the fear of the unknown. We can not control everything so just let go of the fear (easier said than done for sure)
Even the attachments to family members must be let go of if we hope to realize enlightenment.
It is lovely when they are there, but when they are gone, it is nothing we can do to get them back. So missing them is grieving and grieving is seen as an attachment too.
Life is full of attachments we do not even think of as an attachment before it is gone :)
Clinging to life is also an attachment actually.

But this topic is not easy to understand and personally i am far away from letting go of everything in physical life :)

Srivijaya

Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.
I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.
I will breathe in calming mental fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming mental fabrication.
I will breathe in releasing the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.
I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.
Anapanasati Sutta: Mindfulness of Breathing

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.
I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.
I will breathe in calming mental fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming mental fabrication.
I will breathe in releasing the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.
I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.
Anapanasati Sutta: Mindfulness of Breathing
Very true :) Thank you