• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does it mean to be "Normal?"

Cynic

Seeing how in psychology, there's no real definition to the word "normal."

And look how thick the DSM-IV is...

Well isn't that what being a human is all about: abnormality? I mean, come on, is anyone really normal, in the sense that they conform to the values, ideas, morays, and folkways of society/culture at all times and at all costs?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Seeing how in psychology, there's no real definition to the word "normal," and how thick the DSM-IV is...

Well isn't that what being a human is all about: abnormality? I mean, come on, is anyone really normal, in the sense that they conform to the values, ideas, morays, and folkways of society/culture at all times and at all costs?

No.......and that's a lesson it took me ages to get - and I am not sure I still accept that there is no normality.

I have always wanted "to be like other people" - because I have always felt "different"; sure some of those differences can be explained away by my upbringing, the culture in which I grew, but we are all individuals. Maybe I am less "normal" that the average Englishman - but there is still no "normality".

I used to be convinced - for years - that I had been reincarnated on the "wrong" planet. And, boy, is that lonely.:rolleyes:

Cynic

What about Androgyny? It's not really acceptable in parts of this society.

I used to be really sensitive. But a sensitive guy is a wuss. You cry in front of people, and that makes you not "normal."

Honestly, it takes a lot of guts to be sensitive. And I just don’t have the guts anymore. I’m like a hardened shell. I don’t care much about other people as I used to. I’m hard on the outside, and empty on the inside.

But screw that... Now I'm empty inside... I was better off being who I really was...

What is wrong with this society? Egoism and individualism is the norm. Aggression is accepted and encouraged. Why can't this be empathy and compassion?

Sorry, just some incoherent rambling... I guess my Cynicism kicking in...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
What about Androgyny? It's not really acceptable in parts of this society.

I used to be really sensitive. But a sensitive guy is a wuss. You cry in front of people, and that makes you not "normal."

Honestly, it takes a lot of guts to be sensitive. And I just don’t have the guts anymore. I’m like a hardened shell. I don’t care much about other people as I used to. I’m hard on the outside, and empty on the inside.

But screw that... Now I'm empty inside... I was better off being who I really was...

Sorry, just some incoherent rambling...

I was brought up by parents who never showed emotion; I became like that, because for me, it was the "way I should be".

It took me ages to learn how to cry, and, unfortunately, I have reverted to being unable to cry.

I have a good metalic shield on my emotions.:eek:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Seeing how in psychology, there's no real definition to the word "normal."

And look how thick the DSM-IV is...

There are psychologically healthy people, but I wouldn't say they are necessarily "normal" people.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't think that anyone is actually normal. Every person (whether he or she admits it or not) has something about them that would be considered different. That's what makes the world an interesting place- that no one is alike. :)

Cynic

There are psychologically healthy people, but I wouldn't say they are necessarily "normal" people.

I learned in a Psych course that androgyny is more conducive to mental stability, in comparison to leaning on the extreme end of the gender spectrum.

Its acceptable for a woman to have masculine characteristics. Masculinity is ideal in this culture. But a man in touch with his feminine side... That's just not really a social norm, despite many people being androgynous in some way.

rojse

RF Addict
There are a lot of ways of working out an average. Do we define an average through mean, median or mode?

And considering that ninety percent of people could not be medically considered sane, does that mean insanity, in a mild form, is "normal"?

Random

I have no idea, I only think I do. If "normal" were "being oneself" then surely there could be no conformity...yet there is too much of the latter. I don't know, it's a crazy concept.