• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does It Mean to Be Humble

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Thanks to another posters thread, they brought up a good point regarding being humble in reference to a life experience.

What does it mean to be humble, or have humility?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I go with the ancient notion, which I believe was first expressed by Aristotle, that to be humble meant claiming no more, nor no less, than was your just due. So for instance, if you are very creative, but not the most creative person, then you should claim exactly what you are -- no more, nor no less.

To claim more is, according to Aristotle, arrogance because it is not just, and to claim less is false humility -- because it is not just either.

David1967

Premium Member
Thanks to another posters thread, they brought up a good point regarding being humble in reference to a life experience.

To show compassion to people. To think of others as better than yourself.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
In my view, when one can feel him/herself the last of all and be content with it, that person is truly humble.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
i liken it to being a servant to all. i don't exclude self, or other self. love is not a respecter of persons. love has compassion and mercy for all

David T

Premium Member
Trying to out humble Joel1776. Faux humility is required for modern religious leaders.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I go with the ancient notion, which I believe was first expressed by Aristotle, that to be humble meant claiming no more, nor no less, than was your just due. So for instance, if you are very creative, but not the most creative person, then you should claim exactly what you are -- no more, nor no less.

To claim more is, according to Aristotle, arrogance because it is not just, and to claim less is false humility -- because it is not just either.

I like that definition, but would add giving credit to others where due.

One can ask how humility differs from meekness, which I define as a lack of backbone or weakness of character - an inability to assert oneself where he should. For those familiar with the movie Office Space, Milton, the mumbling, overweight and vision challenged character who got pushed progressively into the office basement, was fired without being told, and had his stapler stolen in front of him, was meek, not humble..

syo

virgin mary was humble. she is a fine example. when she learned that she is the chosen one to carry christ and become the mother of god, she remained humble and didn't boast.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Do not expect your thoughts, feelings, and experiences to necessarily reflect as to what others experience?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I cannot say. I think it comes naturally. I, for instance, am the most humble person in the Universe.

Ciao

- viole