1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What does it actually mean to be saved in Christianity?

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by Conscious thoughts, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Musing Bassist

Musing Bassist Ash nazg durbatulûk

Ratings:
    +1,456
    To be saved in the Catholic tradition one must die in a state of sanctifying grace. (Final perseverance). Since no one knows the future no one has assurance of final perseverance. Albeit, the more one strives to live in good standing before God; by prayer, good works, frequenting the sacraments, avoiding grave sin, etc... the more likely one will indeed attain final perseverance.

I don't know how anyone can read the New Testament and not see that salvation is conditional on avoiding grave sin.

#81 Musing Bassist, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  2. beenherebeforeagain

beenherebeforeagain Rogue Animist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,693
    Religion:
    Modern Animist
    One of the first things that I learned after having my born-again experience is Jesus telling me (metaphorically, anyway), that "Not everything everyone says about me or attributes to me is true."

3. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +840
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    An inward change comes, sure, but that change cannot save, otherwise it's I save not JESUS SAVES.

Good people cannot be in Heaven, only perfectly moral people can live safely in a utopia. Jesus WILL transform all believers to morally perfect when He returns.

When I trusted in Jesus's sacrifice, per the Bible I was saved (the sacrifice paid my sin). Sacrifices occur throughout the Bible as you know.

Another way to say I accepted the sin payment is I trust Jesus to perfect me for Heaven, rather than think pretty good people get to Heave and relatively bad people perish in Hell.

Thank you.

4. cataway

cataway Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +342
    Religion:
    jw עדי יהווה
    Acts 24 15 sorry my bad

• Like Like x 1
  5. cataway

Ratings:
    +342
    Religion:
    jw עדי יהווה
    what you fail to relies Paul and the other apostle are the ones receiving heaven . what you have done is to read a letter to some one ,not your self ,you like what you have read and have assumed it applies to your self as well as to whom the letter was written. i under stand your mistake its a easy one to make.

6. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +7,815
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    No, what you have done is misinterpreted certain Bible verses so you believe that only certain people are going to heaven and the others are going to be resurrected to live on earth forever. It is an honest mistake but it cannot be made unless you cherry pick verses and interpret them to mean what you want them to mean, which is what the JW organization teaches that they mean.

The important point is that neither Jesus nor Paul ever said that only certain Christians are going to heaven and neither one of them ever said anyone was going to be resurrected and live on earth forever.

7. cataway

Ratings:
    +342
    Religion:
    jw עדי יהווה
    John 10:
    16 “And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those too I must bring in, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd. "
    the other sheep , are the ones that will possess/inherit the earth
    Matthew 5:
    5 “Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth.''
    Rev 7:
    9 After this I saw, and look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. ''

8. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +7,815
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    The people who will inherit the earth are those that are living on the earth when Christ returns, and the future generations if living people who are living on the earth after Christ returns. They are not people who will rise from graves at the resurrection since resurrection does not even refer to dead people rising from physical graves. It refers to living people who rise from the graves of spiritual ignorance, which is what happens when Christ returns.

16 “And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; those too I must bring in, and they will listen to my voice, and they will become one flock, one shepherd. "

The verse refers to what would happen when Christ returns. All the peoples of the earth would be united into one fold under one shepherd. We know that shepherd would not be Jesus because Jesus said He came to bring division. Luke 12:51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division:

That shepherd was Baha'u'llah, who came to unite humanity:

“It is incumbent upon every man of insight and understanding to strive to translate that which hath been written into reality and action…. That one indeed is a man who, today, dedicateth himself to the service of the entire human race. The Great Being saith: Blessed and happy is he that ariseth to promote the best interests of the peoples and kindreds of the earth. In another passage He hath proclaimed: It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 250

9. cataway

Ratings:
    +342
    Religion:
    jw עדי יהווה
  10. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +7,815
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    #90 Trailblazer, Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  11. 80s fashion girl

Ratings:
    +71
    Religion:
    none
    It's just religious dogma.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Psalm23

Psalm23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +421
    Religion:
    Christian
    @Conscious thoughts

My understanding of how to be saved in Christ is to come to Jesus, receive him and to believe/ have faith in him. When someone comes to Jesus , Jesus becomes their Savior and teacher. For myself I desire to learn more from Jesus and follow him more closely.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,269
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    Hope my question is not to personal, So if i understand you correctly, to be saved, one first accept Jesus then one practicing daily the Christian Gosple. And do everything in once power to better one self?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Psalm23

Psalm23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +421
    Religion:
    Christian
    In Christianity salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus. ( see Ephesians 2:8-9). It is not something a Christian does or earns.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,464
    Yes, purchased freedom for everyone - 1 John 1:7
    I like how you say ' and we try to walk by the spirit.....' ( 2 Corinthians 5:7)
    We need to try (Not give up) because as 1st John says "IF" we are walking in the light..... (John 3:36)
    So, it is No wonder Matthew 20:28 says that Jesus' ransom covers MANY and does Not say all.
    Yes, Hebrews chapter 10 is an eye opener because Hebrews 10:26 says at what point there is No longer any sacrifice for sins left.- Hebrews 6:4-6; 2 Peter 2:21; Matthew 12:32

16. URAVIP2ME

URAVIP2ME Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +2,464
    You might find Jesus' words at Matthew 24:13 to be of interest.
    The one who endures to the end is saved.
    Endure faithful til death (or)
    Be found enduring faithful at the soon coming Glory Time of Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +7,815
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    According to Paul, not according to Jesus, unless you have some verses that show that.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  18. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +11,569
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    To be saved in any Abrahamic religion is to believe that propounder of their religion had the last message from God / Allah.

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +276
    Religion:
    Christian
    Rom 10
    9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Eph 1
    13¶In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

14Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

• Like Like x 1
  20. John1.12

John1.12 Free gift

Ratings:
    +276
    Religion:
    Christian
    John 1 .12
    12But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

• Like Like x 1