• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does intolerance mean?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As a corollary to the recent thread about the meaning of tolerance, what do you think intolerance is. Give an example of an action you would consider to be intolerant.

For me, although in the other thread I agreed with another poster, because I'm just a lazy person, tolerance is summed up in 'live and let live'.

Intolerance might be a different matter, I don't know. Thoughts?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
As a corollary to the recent thread about the meaning of tolerance, what do you think intolerance is. Give an example of an action you would consider to be intolerant.

For me, although in the other thread I agreed with another poster, because I'm just a lazy person, tolerance is summed up in 'live and let live'.

Intolerance in my understanding is to deny someone to believe different than one do one self, or punish somebody for being different

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So talking about, or personal insults are okay? You're not denying them their belief, you're just calling them stupid.
Insult or speaking bad about other peoples faith, religion and so on is of course not good, and it show intolerance.
Did i call other people stupid?

I do not mind that others has different religious belief than me, why would i?

QuestioningMind

Taking physical or verbal action to prevent another from doing/saying/thinking something.

The 'thinking' part is hardest, but I still see people do it.

I would simply add 'Taking physical or verbal action to prevent another from doing something that does not negatively effect the wellbeing of another.'

For instance it isn't intolerant to prevent someone from raping another person.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Insult or speaking bad about other peoples faith, religion and so on is of course not good, and it show intolerance.
Did i call other people stupid?

I do not mind that others has different religious belief than me, why would i?

No you didn't call other people stupid. Your other post said nothing of words at all. I believe words can show intolerance.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I would simply add 'Taking physical or verbal action to prevent another from doing something that does not negatively effect the wellbeing of another.'

For instance it isn't intolerant to prevent someone from raping another person.

I'd say it would be intolerance of rape... which is a positive.

Intolerance doesn't have to be negative.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
No you didn't call other people stupid. Your other post said nothing of words at all. I believe words can show intolerance.
I do my best to not be intolerant toward others, I am far from perfect in my life, so if i was intolerant toward someone, it means i have more work to do in my spirirual journey

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vinayaka, "Manasa, Vacha, Karmana" (by thought, by speech, by action). Intolerance comes in various flavors, but it still remains intolerance.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Intolerant: I am right and you are wrong and have to be corrected.
Tolerant: I am right and you are wrong but I can live with you not being corrected.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Intolerant: I am right and you are wrong and have to be corrected.
Tolerant: I am right and you are wrong but I can live with you not being corrected.
I like that. Thanks. How about responding to being 'corrected'. Is that intolerance too?

Deidre

I think it has to do with our will more than anything. An unwillingness to accept others views, beliefs, etc (that's that actual definition and I'd agree with it)

Tolerate has always been one of those pesky words that I don't care for - like if someone was just ''tolerating'' me, but I thought we were friends, that would be hurtful to find that out. But, I suppose when I commuted to work, I merely tolerated it because I had no other choice. In the context though of others' views, I don't like the term ''tolerate,'' because I think respecting others' views without agreeing with them or following them yourself, is entirely plausible. ''Tolerate'' gives off this vibe that my views are better than yours --but I'll tolerate them, I guess. :rolleyes:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I like that. Thanks. How about responding to being 'corrected'. Is that intolerance too?
One can have the same choice to be tolerant of being corrected or intolerant.

Me, I mostly ignore being corrected unless it comes with a reasonable argument that convinces me I am wrong.
I also see a lot of grey areas where right and wrong may not have a definitive position.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

I think intolerance is actually a neutral term. For example, a train company saying they won't tolerate assaults on their staff sounds like a good thing.

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Our moral and legal codes are based on intolerance of certain behaviours.
Problems arise when intolerance is extended beyond behaviour, eg to a person's race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Tolerance is not agreement, or good feelings about the other religion. It is simply allowing that religion to exist in society with basic politeness. IOW you don't go out of your way to tell them they are going to hell, or that they are Satanic, or evil. You don't pass laws against them, or deny them the right to congregate, or kick them out of your place of business. But you don't have to let them into your circle of friends or say "live and let live" (which means pretending you think their beliefs aren't bad.) You can say their beliefs are downright wrong and harmful if you like, so long as you do so politely.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Or that their practices are just less effective. I can't imagine there being anything harmful in a spiritual tradition different from my own, unless it would involve harming animals, humans or the minds of their children.
I think that i.e. Aztec religion, where they tear out still-beating hearts, is very harmful. I'm glad that it no longer exists. I think religions that practice magic take advantage of people's naiveté with their superstition. Same with faith healer stuff con artistry.

PearlSeeker

As a corollary to the recent thread about the meaning of tolerance, what do you think intolerance is.
Some can't drink milk.

Now seriously.
Tolerance: I don't agree with you but I don't hate you.
Intolerance: I don't agree with you and I hate you for it.