• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does he mean?

ThisShouldMakeSense

i have a couple of questions about these scrpitures....

1 Corinthians 13:8-10*(Worldwide English (New Testament))

***8Love never ends. The gift of speaking words from God will end. The gift of speaking in different tongues or languages will stop. The gift of knowing many things will end.

***9Now we know only a little, and we can speak only a little of God's words.

***10But when everything becomes perfect, that part will come to an end.

what is he talking about? when will everything become perfect? and what does he mean 'The gift of speaking in different tongues or languages will stop.' does it mean that speaking in tongues is no longer possible today? i'd like some clarification...thanks all!

njcl

it means love is perfection,speaking in tongues is trivial next to love and when love has become the main characteristic within your personality the need for the speaking in tongues ends,thats my slant of it

may

ThisShouldMakeSense said:
i have a couple of questions about these scrpitures....

1 Corinthians 13:8-10*(Worldwide English (New Testament))

***8Love never ends. The gift of speaking words from God will end. The gift of speaking in different tongues or languages will stop. The gift of knowing many things will end.

***9Now we know only a little, and we can speak only a little of God's words.

***10But when everything becomes perfect, that part will come to an end.

what is he talking about? when will everything become perfect? and what does he mean 'The gift of speaking in different tongues or languages will stop.' does it mean that speaking in tongues is no longer possible today? i'd like some clarification...thanks all!

Miraculously speaking in tongues is no longer necessary, and there is no Biblical basis for believing that it is part of true Christianity today. Now that the Bible is complete and widely available, we have what we need in the Word of God. It allows us to gain an accurate knowledge of Jehovah and his Son that leads to everlasting life.—John 17:3;

the understanding of prophecy is gradually becoming complete. For instance, facts fulfilling Bible prophecy confirm that Jesus received kingly authority over mankind in 1914. Since then, we have been in "the time of the end" and true christians are enjoying continual growth in spiritual knowledge and understanding of Bible prophecy. (Daniel 12:4) so we are coming to perfect knowledge and "that which is complete" must be at hand.

njcl

i dont now how you can summize that when clearly paul is saying love is more important than speaking in tongues and when love arrives in all its entirity the need for gifts comes to an end,love is perfection and the end of all things spiritual

njcl

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous. Love is not proud and does not boast. Love does not do things that are not nice. Love does not just think of itself. Love does not get angry. Love holds no wrong feelings in the heart. Love is not glad when people do wrong things. But it is always glad when they do right. Love forgives everything. Love is always trusting, and always hoping, and never gives up. Love never ends.

The gift of speaking words from God will end. The gift of speaking in different tongues or languages will stop. The gift of knowing many things will end. Now we know only a little, and we can speak only a little of God's words. But when everything becomes perfect, that part will come to an end. When I was a child, I talked like a child. I understood like a child. I thought like a child. But when I became a man, I stopped doing things like a child. Now it is like looking in a looking-glass which does not make things clear. We cannot see and understand things plainly. But when things become perfect, then we shall fully know and understand everything, just as God knows. These three things will remain for ever. They are faith, hope, and love. And love is the greatest of them.

1 Corinthians 13 [size=-2]Worldwide English [/size]

yep just as i thought

Reactions: Ori

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."Fail" is the same as "vanish away" (Greek katargeo, meaning "become useless"). "Cease" (Greek pauo, from which we derive "pause") means simply "come to an end." Thus all three of these supernatural gifts (and perhaps other supernatural gifts as well) would eventually become useless and would therefore be withdrawn by the Spirit.

13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
The gifts of knowledge and prophecy at that time had conveyed only a part of God's intended revelation to His people. In fact, the only earlier epistles by Paul were Galatians and 1 and 2 Thessalonians. Eventually, however, more would be forthcoming through the various apostles and prophets.

13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away
"That which is perfect" cannot refer to Christ at His second coming, for "that" is a neuter pronoun. Since the previous verse refers to the incompleteness of the divine revelation at that time, "that which is perfect [complete]" almost certainly refers to the completion of Biblical revelation, as finally announced by John, the last of the apostles (Revelation 22:18,19). In the Scriptures, we now have all the prophetic truth needed for the guidance of the church until Christ comes again. With few, if any, exceptions, we also have all the attestation we need to its veracity and power, so there is little need any more for miraculous signs, even though many still desire them.:)

njcl

i totally disagree with your comments on what is perfect,if you read the whole chapter paul is talking about gifts versus love and charity,he says charity and love are perfection while speaking in tongues is for edifying of the church and inferiour to love............

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Michel and njcl- I do not think you are in dissagreement, you are not disputing what the verse says, but you are each getting something different out of it. It's probably because each of you have different lessons to learn. Michel is learning about communion with God, while njcl is learning about love, and compassion.

Basicly the sum of these verses is 'action, not words'. 'Walk the walk, not just talk the talk.'