• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want

dfnj

This is an anthropomorphic view of God wanting(?), which would be antithetical to the nature of an omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscience God. God does not want(?). Our physical existence and humanity simply exists as a reflection of God's Creation.

Based on the way we experience reality, I do not think God is an Abrahamic type God of judgment. But based on our experiences of reality it seems we have a God of unconditional love who is more accepting of our behaviors. So then the question becomes what does a God of unconditional love value most. I was speculating culture and quality of good experiences.

dfnj

People just make up things. This has more to do with what each individual wants than the projection of who or what they think is out there wanting something.

People make up nihilism also. Just because everything is meaningless also means it is meaningless that it is meaningless. So what we project is a choice. There's not a rational way of looking at it. There's no logical way to choose. So the heuristics that go into my way of choosing may be different than the ones you are using.

dfnj

What does God want of all the other life here on Earth? That might also be a pertinent question. Or does God just accept they will do their own thing regardless - even the more intelligent species rather close to humans in many ways. :oops:

That is a great question and is in alignment with my OP. We are the Universe's way of experience itself along with all the other life forms. Evolution could be thought of as God's way of working out all the mistakes. Or as a way of coming up with more possible ways of having increasingly more complex experiences. It is fun to speculate how some super advance alien mind might experience the Universe and what their religion might be.

dfnj

Matthew 25:35-40 New International Version (NIV)
35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

The only creativity that matters. Anything else is evil, imo.

Your mindless devotion to dogma hurts me.

RoaringSilence

Most people think God wants people to achieve salvation according to the Bible is our most important purpose with respect to God. I do not think this is the case. If God were interested in salvation, or having a factory for producing saved souls then things would be different.

It.What God wants, in my opinion, is unimaginable possibilities. God wants culture and great works of art and theater.

If you look at the way quantum mechanics works, and how laws of nature always turn out to be much stranger than anything we could have ever imagined, it seems the Universe is organized and designed to create possibilities. Everything is energy cascading into rogue waves converging to points of creativity never thought of before or realized before in reality.

I think what God wants is possibility in reality. Anything that creates culture and interest is good. Anything that destroys culture and creativity is evil. At least that's the moral compass I am going to go with.
i love this..

nPeace

Veteran Member
Most people think God wants people to achieve salvation according to the Bible is our most important purpose with respect to God. I do not think this is the case. If God were interested in salvation, or having a factory for producing saved souls then things would be different.

It seems there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. Based on my experiences, it seems to me God is completely indifferent about the sins of man.

And what difference does it make to an omnipotent God. God needs absolutely nothing from us. It's not like God is going to die if not enough souls make it into Heaven. After a few billion souls get into Heaven or Hell, what difference does it make if a billion more go either way? I don't think it matters.

So what DOES matter to God? I think the way the Universe exists is for God's entertainment. The Universe is a reality TV show for God. What God wants, in my opinion, is unimaginable possibilities. God wants culture and great works of art and theater.

If you look at the way quantum mechanics works, and how laws of nature always turn out to be much stranger than anything we could have ever imagined, it seems the Universe is organized and designed to create possibilities. Everything is energy cascading into rogue waves converging to points of creativity never thought of before or realized before in reality.

I think what God wants is possibility in reality. Anything that creates culture and interest is good. Anything that destroys culture and creativity is evil. At least that's the moral compass I am going to go with.
I personally think we first have to start with why God? Why do we think there is God? After that I think we might then be able to come up with answers that might well be reasonable.

For me, I think life itself, and everything life depends on, tells me that there is a purpose to life, and there seems to me to be a universal connection - a sort of cycle, where one thing is dependent upon another.

Then when I look into the Bible, which tells us about a creator, and his purpose, and gives me a picture of that universal connection - it seems to me that I have two witnesses, speaking in agreement about a God that made all things to be unified in him.
Then seeing this unification taking place on a small scale, is confirmation that there is definitely something at work here. I am convinced that God is, and he has made known to us what he wants.
There also is evidence that there is a force working in opposition to this unification, hence why there is so much confusion, and conflicting views on this one topic - all of which is written by the second witness.

It all makes sense to me that one cannot separate these two witnesses, and have answers to the question - What does God want?

Etritonakin

It seems there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. Based on my experiences, it seems to me God is completely indifferent about the sins of man.

And what difference does it make to an omnipotent God. God needs absolutely nothing from us. It's not like God is going to die if not enough souls make it into Heaven. After a few billion souls get into Heaven or Hell, what difference does it make if a billion more go either way? I don't think it matters.

So what DOES matter to God? I think the way the Universe exists is for God's entertainment. The Universe is a reality TV show for God. What God wants, in my opinion, is unimaginable possibilities. God wants culture and great works of art and theater.

The God described in the bible wants (is quoted as saying he wants) us to have life -and have abundantly, wants us to live forever and delight forever in what he created, wants us to turn from our sins and choose life rather than death.

Therefore, after consistently being rejected, he allowed us to experience a life wherein we are affected by our collective sins.
This is limited to 120 or so years -or less -for individuals.
Gaining this experience (knowing good and evil) will allow us to make an informed choice -and never want to go through all of this again -and we will not. Once we understand why we need God and are willing to do what he says, he will again be more directly involved.

God could keep us from doing evil -but that would defeat his purpose. Early in the bible it is indicated that "You must master it".

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I am speculating we can figure out what God wants based on the nature of our experience.

What is the nature of our experience? Is one person's experience the same as another's? Our perception is our reality so we have to have the correct perception of God to begin with. Don't expect to get it from the churches. They are as lost as the people who look to them for answers. When it comes to the "why's" about any of it, they are basically clueless.

What we know about God is revealed in two ways as far as I can see.....he gave us a written record of his dealings with a specific nation and with certain individuals to show us what he has given the human race by way of his laws and instructions (which were only necessary after humans were influenced to reject his sovereignty) and what happens when his commands are obeyed, as opposed to what happens when they are not. Object lessons are powerful teaching tools. We all know this.

Since the the proper exercise of free will was the catalyst for the whole scenario in Eden, we have to first understand what we lost, and how God gets it back for us without taking this precious gift away from us. That gift ultimately became a curse when disobedience manifested itself, prompted by self interest which was demonstrated by all parties.

How does a gift become a curse? By abusing it. This happens with so many things in human experience. The proper use of something is taken out of its boundaries and it becomes a blight. The first thing that comes to mind by way of illustration is something very familiar to most of us....alcohol. The Bible says that 'wine makes the heart rejoice' so God does not condemn the proper use of alcohol...it was a gift. The very first miracle of Jesus Christ was turning water into wine.....but when taken in excess it becomes a monster that is destroying lives and breaking up families and creating violence on the streets and in people's homes. This well illustrates what happens when a blessing becomes a curse.

The second way that God reveals himself is through his creation. When we read the prophesies about the future, I believe that it tells us also about the past. Concerning the animals and creatures that share this planet with us we read.....

"The wolf will reside for a while with the lamb,
And with the young goat the leopard will lie down,
And the calf and the lion and the fattened animal will all be together;
And a little boy will lead them.
7 The cow and the bear will feed together,
And their young will lie down together.
The lion will eat straw like the bull.
8 The nursing child will play over the lair of a cobra,
And a weaned child will put his hand over the den of a poisonous snake.
9 They will not cause any harm
Or any ruin in all my holy mountain,
Because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah
As the waters cover the sea."
(Isaiah 11:6-9)

Doesn't this sound like the way it should be? I believe that this was the way animals were before humans were evicted from the garden. Satan was given dominion over the earth and I believe that his influence spread even to the animal kingdom. God will rectify everything when he takes back the rulership of the earth.

Isaiah also writes that ...."the former distresses will be forgotten;
They will be concealed from my eyes.
17 For look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth;
And the former things will not be called to mind,
Nor will they come up into the heart.
18 So exult and be joyful forever in what I am creating......

25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
The lion will eat straw just like the bull,
And the serpent’s food will be dust.
They will do no harm nor cause any ruin in all my holy mountain,” says Jehovah."
(Isaiah 65:16-18; 25)

That for me paints a wonderful picture for the future of life on planet Earth. Humans were never created to go to heaven and the majority of us will remain right here where God put us in the first place. A small number were chosen by God for roles in the Kingdom, assisting its King in administering the benefits that Christ's sacrifice bought for us. This is "the good news of the Kingdom" that Jesus told us to preach. (Matthew 24:14)

This present life is sorting out those who want to obey God's direction from those who don't want to.
We are all, by our own choices and conduct, exercising our free will and thereby showing God if we qualify for the life he had planned for us all along. What we lost in Eden by disobedience, we gain back when God brings the rule of his Kingdom to this earth.....we were originally supposed to be stewards of this planet and caretakers of its inhabitants (including each other).....how are we doing in those roles generally? Does God have a reason to keep us in existence if we fail in these important areas? Are we part of the problem or are we part of the solution? We decide.

What God wants from us is what I am speculating about.

Since we are part of a contest between God and his adversary, and it has a predetermined outcome, we have the choice of siding with God, or siding with the devil who wants to promote the abuse of free will.

Do we see his world enslaved to that kind of freedom? (1 John 5:19) Has it made the world a better place?...a more peaceful place....a place that is even safe to live in? Are people happier? How many of us love this world.....and how many of us are dreading the future because of the way humans are behaving? Never before has man possessed the ability for self annihilation.....all it will take is one arrogant idiot's finger on a button. There are more than one.....(button or arrogant idiot.)

What God wants from us is the acknowledgment that his rule is best, despite any restrictions that he may place on us for our own good. Go back to Eden and ask what restriction got the human race into this mess....was it something earth shattering? Too difficult? Was it going to harm them in any way? If humans couldn't even get that right, then free will was something we urgently needed to learn to drive responsibly....just like we learn to drive a motor vehicle. It can be a useful means of transport or it can be a lethal weapon in the hands of a careless fool.

I am assuming God exists as a premise to my speculations.

I am too. So that is my personal assessment of the situation.

Last edited:

dfnj

What God wants from us is the acknowledgment that his rule is best, despite any restrictions that he may place on us for our own good. Go back to Eden and ask what restriction got the human race into this mess....was it something earth shattering? Too difficult? Was it going to harm them in any way? If humans couldn't even get that right, then free will was something we urgently needed to learn to drive responsibly....just like we learn to drive a motor vehicle. It can be a useful means of transport or it can be a lethal weapon in the hands of a careless fool.

This is a very old and tired argument. I am pretty sure our omnipotent God knew exactly what was going to happen to the apple in the garden with a naked woman prancing about!

The idea that God is looking for a loyal fan base just doesn't seem right to me. An omnipotent God needs nothing from us.

But a world full of crazy unimaginable complexities seems interesting and valuable to someone who is bored by having omnipotent powers.

Or, maybe our existence is how God realizes His omnipotence. How can you possibly know everything if it hasn't been realized in reality. Maybe our existence is the fulfillment of God's omnipotence and God doesn't know everything until He learns it.

If God were looking for machine that churned out loyal fans it seems to me God could come up with a better way of doing it than what we have here now. I think what we have here now is designed for some other purposes. If reality were about having strict adherence to religious laws then we would live in a clockwork Universe where hard determinism was easily confirmed.