• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want from us?

Merlin

I have never understood why a God as great as God clearly is, would want to be worshipped?

Ask yourself, if you were ruler of the world, would you want to be worshipped? I would not. Respected, yes. Listen to, yes. Even obeyed, yes. But worshipped? I think not. Would he create us just so he had people to worship him? Or does he have greater requirements for us to fulfill?

Aqualung

Tasty
He has greater requirements. He wants us to follow him, and by following him, be able to return to live with him and perhaps become like him.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Merlin said:
I have never understood why a God as great as God clearly is, would want to be worshipped?

Ask yourself, if you were ruler of the world, would you want to be worshipped? I would not. Respected, yes. Listen to, yes. Even obeyed, yes. But worshipped? I think not. Would he create us just so he had people to worship him? Or does he have greater requirements for us to fulfill?

In my tradition, gods and men are kin. There isn't a One God up in heaven desiring praise or worship. The gods aren't all good or all powerful. Mostly, they just epitomize human experience amongst each other and in nature.

What do the gods want? To share in the adventures of your life.

1. Would I want to be worshiped? Damn right I would! lol
2. Would I create people just to worship me? maybe. Depends on how bored I was. However, I think the other animals are just as interesting as us; I guess they just don't have as much potential for good and bad as we have.

gtrsgrls

If I'm not incorrect(I might be),the Bible says we were created to glorify him.But I'll have to check into the subject.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Merlin said:

I am not certain that you are interpreting the word worship in a correct context.
Both below from http://www.etymonline.com/

Worship:
O.E. worðscip, wurðscip (Anglian), weorðscipe (W.Saxon) "condition of being worthy, honor, renown," from weorð "worthy" (see worth) + -scipe (see -ship). Sense of "reverence paid to a supernatural or divine being" is first recorded c.1300. The original sense is preserved in the title worshipful (c.1300). The verb is recorded from c.1200. Reverence: c.1290, from O.Fr. reverence, from L. reverentia "awe, respect," from revereri "to revere," from re-, intensive prefix, + vereri "stand in awe of, fear," from PIE *wer- "to be or become aware of" (cf. O.E. wær "aware, cautious;" see wary). The verb is first attested c.1300; revere (v.) is from 1661. In that context, can you appreciate what I understand by worship ? (which is not something vainglogious, as I think you are suggesting) - correct me if I am wrong.;)

Faint

Maybe this conjectural God has low self-esteem (and if he didn't believe in himself, would that be blasphemy?) It seems to me that if someone had real ultimate power he wouldn't need or seek the reverence of others. He would already know he is the best, and not seek external validation of this. People who need "worship" and constant praise/admiration are usually insecure. Certain actresses come to mind as I write this...

Merlin

gtrsgrls said:
If I'm not incorrect(I might be),the Bible says we were created to glorify him.But I'll have to check into the subject.
Do you really believe that God is great as ours would actually create people just so they could worship and glorify him. It sounds more like somebody human would do that.

I sincerely hope that what you have said is not correct. I would hate to think that all the pain and suffering and trials and tribulations of this life were just so that we could worship and glorify God. There must be a bigger purpose than that.

Merlin

michel said:
I am not certain that you are interpreting the word worship in a correct context.
Both below from http://www.etymonline.com/

Worship:
O.E. worðscip, wurðscip (Anglian), weorðscipe (W.Saxon) "condition of being worthy, honor, renown," from weorð "worthy" (see worth) + -scipe (see -ship). Sense of "reverence paid to a supernatural or divine being" is first recorded c.1300. The original sense is preserved in the title worshipful (c.1300). The verb is recorded from c.1200. Reverence: c.1290, from O.Fr. reverence, from L. reverentia "awe, respect," from revereri "to revere," from re-, intensive prefix, + vereri "stand in awe of, fear," from PIE *wer- "to be or become aware of" (cf. O.E. wær "aware, cautious;" see wary). The verb is first attested c.1300; revere (v.) is from 1661. In that context, can you appreciate what I understand by worship ? (which is not something vainglogious, as I think you are suggesting) - correct me if I am wrong.;)
Hi Mitchell

I don't have the knowledge to debate the meaning of worship with you. Maybe you are right that I have misinterpreted the word? But most people seem to implement it in the way that I have (rightly or wrongly) interpreted it. many religions spend a lawful lot of their time singing songs in praise of, saying prayers in praise of, and bowing etc.

I have always seen God as a very practical entity (please don't jump down my throat because of the choice of word, I am quite stuck to know whether it should be a He or a She or an It or a Them).

Somebody who can create this universe with its marvellous complex laws, I find it difficult to believe would want us to be hopping about bowing and scraping. I believe He does have purposes for the human race, but they must be higher purposes than that. If we stopped being complacent in thinking we have discovered what he wants from us (all this mindless worshipping), maybe we could listen. In that quiet silence he may actually tell us why we are here.

Merlin

Faint said:
Maybe this conjectural God has low self-esteem (and if he didn't believe in himself, would that be blasphemy?) It seems to me that if someone had real ultimate power he wouldn't need or seek the reverence of others. He would already know he is the best, and not seek external validation of this. People who need "worship" and constant praise/admiration are usually insecure. Certain actresses come to mind as I write this...
Exactly. so it is not likely to be true is it.

Merlin

Aqualung said:
He has greater requirements. He wants us to follow him, and by following him, be able to return to live with him and perhaps become like him.
well said, but the question was does he want to be worshipped?

Aqualung

Tasty
Merlin said:
well said, but the question was does he want to be worshipped?
Not necessarily worshipped. He certainly wants us to recognise him for what he is. And if you look at all he has done for us... well, I can't help but worship him.

Kowalski

Aqualung said:
And pray tell us, how do you know what god wants from us, did he tell you ? perhaps you should qualify that as in your opinion ?

Cheers

K

Aqualung

Tasty
Kowalski said:
And pray tell us, how do you know what god wants from us, did he tell you ? perhaps you should qualify that as in your opinion ?

Cheers

K
Yes, he told us all, through his word. But, as this is a debate about something that is highly based in faith, I'm not sure exactly what it is you want me to prove. I thought it would be obvious it was my opinion. Perhaps you should think a little bit more before you post such rediculous requirements.

Scott1

Merlin said:
I do believe God was pretty clear with what was wanted of us:
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD; and you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might."
... worship is one of the ways we express that love.

Aqualung

Tasty
Scott1 said:
I do believe God was pretty clear with what was wanted of us:
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD; and you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your might."
... worship is one of the ways we express that love.
Yes! good point!

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I'm a Gnostic which means i don't worship God, and believe that the God of Abraham is an Archon - an emanation from God which has 'gone bad' and believes itself to be God.
He (YHWH) is arrogant, proud and stupid, that's why he wants worship. God doesn't want or need worship as such things are of no consequence to It.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Aqualung said:
Striving to become like GOD (or any other entity for that matter) is an unrealistic proposition. It can be compared to someone wanting to become a bird or a fish. Humans just weren’t designed that way. Though there are many commendable aspects about GOD that many people would like to adapt, I think GOD would prefer seeing each one of us reach and flourish within the purposes that we have set before ourselves, whatever those purposes may be.

Scott1

Halcyon said:
I'm a Gnostic which means i don't worship God, and believe that the God of Abraham is an Archon - an emanation from God which has 'gone bad' and believes itself to be God.
OK... thank's for clearing that up.
He (YHWH) is arrogant, proud and stupid, that's why he wants worship. God doesn't want or need worship as such things are of no consequence to It.
Does your god want or need your belief in him/her/it or anything in particular from you?

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
Scott1 said:
OK... thank's for clearing that up.
Does your god want or need your belief in him/her/it or anything in particular from you?
Nope, God is God and thus needs nothing. If God needed anything then It would be incomplete, and thus not God.

Aqualung

Tasty
cardero said:
Striving to become like GOD (or any other entity for that matter) is an unrealistic proposition. It can be compared to someone wanting to become a bird or a fish. Humans just weren’t designed that way. Though there are many commendable aspects about GOD that many people would like to adapt, I think GOD would prefer seeing each one of us reach and flourish within the purposes that we have set before ourselves, whatever those purposes may be.
I beleive they were desinged like that. Like parents have children who they expect to become adults, I think that God created us with the expectation that we would be able to become like him at some point.