• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "freedom from religion" mean to you?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"Freedom from religion", without qualification is a tendentious phrase. That's the problem. It assumes, without explanation, that religion is an impediment of some kind.

cf. "freedom from potato crisps".
In some parts of the US it is an imposition. People won't force you to eat potato chips, but they do not seem so hesitant when it comes to their religious views.

exchemist

Veteran Member
In some parts of the US it is an imposition. People won't force you to eat potato chips, but they do not seem so hesitant when it comes to their religious views.
Can you give an example? (I mean a non-trivial one, not just hearing a politician saying god bless you or something.)

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
Inspired by this thread.

I get the impression that people use the term "freedom from religion" in very different ways.

Personally, I take it to mean something like "freedom from religious impositions that would interfere with my own rights and freedoms."

However, I see other people who seem to take it to mean "a ban on all public religious expression."

Since people seem to be talking past each other on this, I figured a thread about it was in order.

How do you interpret the term?

That's a tough one. In most of the world, religion is tied to the culture strongly, if not governance also.

Fallen Prophet

Inspired by this thread.

I get the impression that people use the term "freedom from religion" in very different ways.

Personally, I take it to mean something like "freedom from religious impositions that would interfere with my own rights and freedoms."

However, I see other people who seem to take it to mean "a ban on all public religious expression."

Since people seem to be talking past each other on this, I figured a thread about it was in order.

I agree with you. It is the freedom to have and express your own religious beliefs and not to have other beliefs forced upon you.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Can you give an example? (I mean a non-trivial one, not just hearing a politician saying god bless you or something.)
In the past there was enforced prayer in public schools. That was during my lifetime, but before I went to school:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engel_v._Vitale

More recently it some Christians have tried to force creationism into the curriculum. The last time a version of that occurred was 2004 and that ended up in the Dover Trial:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dov...j0i22i30l9.10792j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the past there was enforced prayer in public schools. That was during my lifetime, but before I went to school:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engel_v._Vitale

More recently it some Christians have tried to force creationism into the curriculum. The last time a version of that occurred was 2004 and that ended up in the Dover Trial:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dov...j0i22i30l9.10792j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
But that attempt failed, famously.

The school prayers I suppose I don't see as an issue really, since we all grew up with them. They take a few minutes and don't force anyone to do anything against their will, apart from listen - and get a bit bored.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But that attempt failed, famously.

The school prayers I suppose I don't see as an issue really, since we all grew up with them. They take a few minutes and don't force anyone to do anything against their will, apart from listen - and get a bit bored.
School prayer was gone by the time that I entered school so I have no personal experience with it. But I have a feeling that in some areas it might have been a bit more explicit in what would happen if one did not believe their particular version. Young children can be affected by such acts. Please note that I did not say "will be". And of course if one tried prayer from other religions those advocating "school prayer" would almost certainly have a cow. They tend to mean "prayer of my religion".

And yes, they fail, but yet they keep trying. After they failed in Dover their next attempt was "teach the controversy". That did not do so well since there is no real controversy. And though it looks like even the Discovery Toot" is beginning to shut down I do not think that they have totally given up hope yet.

exchemist

Veteran Member
School prayer was gone by the time that I entered school so I have no personal experience with it. But I have a feeling that in some areas it might have been a bit more explicit in what would happen if one did not believe their particular version. Young children can be affected by such acts. Please note that I did not say "will be". And of course if one tried prayer from other religions those advocating "school prayer" would almost certainly have a cow. They tend to mean "prayer of my religion".

And yes, they fail, but yet they keep trying. After they failed in Dover their next attempt was "teach the controversy". That did not do so well since there is no real controversy. And though it looks like even the Discovery Toot" is beginning to shut down I do not think that they have totally given up hope yet.
Really? I'll be delighted if the Disco Tute shuts up shop. And by rights it should: Intelligent Design has gone nowhere, in over 20 years of trying, and its sponsored have mostly died (I think).

But I don't think you make much of a case for religion being significantly oppressive to the citizen - though one does have it pop up irritatingly often in politics, for instance. But then so many things in the modern world are annoying.....

idea

Question Everything
Inspired by this thread.

Separation of church and state.
Science taught in schools, not religious beliefs.
No tax breaks for religious organizations.
No priest privilege's - shut down religious organizations which harbor child molesters.
Sexist, racist, homophobic propaganda shut down - like any company, religious organizations should not discriminate based on gender or race - need to have equal female leadership.
Held to same standards as private companies - anyone working with kids needs background checks and youth protection training. No one works as counselor unless they are trained and licensed. No allowed to preach health advice unless they are an actual medical doctor. There are public health and safety standards that everyone needs to abide by - no religious loopholes to any laws.

King Phenomenon

Inspired by this thread.

To lighten up. To search for answers from real life.

PearlSeeker

How do you interpret the term
To me it's freedom from this:

So the Pharisees and scribes questioned Jesus: “Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders? Instead, they eat with defiled hands.”​

Jesus answered them, “Isaiah prophesied correctly about you hypocrites, as it is written:​

‘These people honor Me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from Me.
They worship Me in vain;
they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’​

(Mark 7)​

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
To me it's freedom from this:

So the Pharisees and scribes questioned Jesus: “Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders? Instead, they eat with defiled hands.”​

Jesus answered them, “Isaiah prophesied correctly about you hypocrites, as it is written:​

‘These people honor Me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from Me.
They worship Me in vain;
they teach as doctrine the precepts of men.’​

(Mark 7)​
Freedom from Bible readings?

Wandering Monk

Lawmakers get their values from somewhere. Those values end up framing any legislation they propose.

Given the variety of religions in many countries and the growing number of people without religion, government should not give preferential treatment to one group over the other.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Inspired by this thread.

Your definition works for me too.