• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does demon possession mean to you?

Darkforbid

So proof that is not proof excerpt in imagination.
If you cannot do scientific proof of your woo, you have
zero, and no further talk has any value except
as hot air.

And no, that is not willful denial, though you may
choose to see it so.

The learned doctor professors who would not look
through galileo's telescope, sure. That is denial.

The willful denial going on here, concerns those who
deny it that despite centuries and thousands, nobody
has ever ever ever been able to prove they can do woo woo.

Is it my fault that scientific proof requires the complete mechanism of the event?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it my fault that scientific proof requires the complete mechanism of the event?
Science does not require that a mechanism be known, only that the event in question be something observable and that hypotheses about the observations can be tested.

Darkforbid

Science does not require that a mechanism be known, only that the event in question be something observable and that hypotheses about the observations can be tested.

I actually like using the word proof, otherwise it leaves everything open to you can only show evidence for, not prove:

Science cannot prove the earth is a globe
The Higgs boson is not proven

But back to scientific evidence

Like the telepathy link I posted the neuroscientist cannot claim scientific evidence, but say he retested with a full lab of scientists 'the kid did it by unknown means' would not be accepted as scientific evidence.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I actually like using the word proof, otherwise it leaves everything open to you can only show evidence for, not prove:

Like the telepathy link I posted the neuroscientist cannot claim scientific evidence, but say he retested with a full lab of scientists 'the kid did it by unknown means' would not be accepted as scientific evidence.
That is science. No proof. Just evidence and logical conclusions based on that evidence.

If something happened without explanation, then why is it one explanation over another? Why is an object in the sky that cannot be identified automatically one conclusion of aliens?

I cannot say that telepathy does not exist, but no one has ever shown that it does either.

Audie

Veteran Member

What a weird response.
First, there is no such thing as scientific proof.
Plz excuse the brain fart when I used the term,
but you should know better.

Second, the "complete mechanism" is not known
for anything. Never will be.

Third, while we find fault with your presentation,
the answer to your q is of a conditional "no"
since the concept is as they say, not even wrong.

There is no more evidence of the existence of any
of what I am calling "woo" than there is for chupacabra.

That is where the "fault" in this whole topic is.

Howabout you come back when there is something
to say on its behalf other than making excuses for
its absence?

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member

Again mentioning that it is not startling news
that science cannot prove things.

Lightning, btw, took place by unknown means but
it was certainly very possible to study abundant data
concerning its reality, hundreds of years ago.

So your claim about a "roomfull of scientists"
is ignorant and silly, tho I lack data as to which
of those is in the larger measure.

Audie

Veteran Member
I said I'm a better proof not scientific proof but as it goes 'Meanwhile I won't read it at all, because the site makes it a precondition that I allow them to show me ads, and I don't accept that condition.' is willful denial
I am kind of allergic to clicking something that gives
that kind of control of my computer.

Willful denial of access.
Denial of actual data? ha.

Last edited:

Darkforbid

That is science. No proof. Just evidence and logical conclusions based on that evidence.

If something happened without explanation, then why is it one explanation over another? Why is an object in the sky that cannot be identified automatically one conclusion of aliens?

I cannot say that telepathy does not exist, but no one has ever shown that it does either.

https://www.quora.com/Has-there-been-any-scientific-proof-for-the-presence-of-telepathy

Obviously it's different for me with my abilities being known

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Real ignorance is denying it exists.
Except it's a fact that demonic possession does not exist. It exist as a belief because at one point in time we had a very limited understanding of human psychology, mental health, and we knew absolutely nothing of neurochemistry or how the different regions of the brain operate us. Having a grand mal seizure is frightening for all involved, even with a physiological explanation. But go back thousands of years, and you see someone suddenly fall over and begin to violently convulse, and when they come to they remember nothing of it, spiritual forces seem a plausible explanation when there is no other possible explanation available.

Darkforbid

Except it's a fact that demonic possession does not exist. It exist as a belief because at one point in time we had a very limited understanding of human psychology, mental health, and we knew absolutely nothing of neurochemistry or how the different regions of the brain operate us. Having a grand mal seizure is frightening for all involved, even with a physiological explanation. But go back thousands of years, and you see someone suddenly fall over and begin to violently convulse, and when they come to they remember nothing of it, spiritual forces seem a plausible explanation when there is no other possible explanation available.

And your evidence for discounting demonic possession is
Exorcism: Facts and Fiction About Demonic Possession

Why We Should Take “Demonic Possession” Seriously | HuffPost

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And your evidence for discounting demonic possession is
ESP, telepathy, mediums, astrology, divination, ghost hunting, psychic detectives - demonic possession is nothing more than an ancient belief that people cling onto still today just as they do other practices and beliefs that have been demonstrated untrue and thoroughly debunked. It's on par with a Ouija board. It's not demons or spirits of any sort, but a psychodrama unfolding before unwitting participants.

Darkforbid

ESP, telepathy, mediums, astrology, divination, ghost hunting, psychic detectives - demonic possession is nothing more than an ancient belief that people cling onto still today just as they do other practices and beliefs that have been demonstrated untrue and thoroughly debunked. It's on par with a Ouija board. It's not demons or spirits of any sort, but a psychodrama unfolding before unwitting participants.

Don't get me wrong there are literally millions of fakes out there and people deluding themselves but to assume everyone is. Is unsupportable

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Don't get me wrong there are literally millions of fakes out there and people deluding themselves but to assume everyone is. Is unsupportable
100% are fake. James Randi, for example, came up with the most simple of tests to provide a controlled setting for psychics to prove themselves (with a hefty cash reward if they could). All have failed. And when these psychics play in their own world, we can explain it and replicate it all with simple parlor magic tricks.

74x12

Just because you are so sure of yourself; that doesn't make it a fact.