• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "Bible literalism" mean? according to this definition.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
According to one source, "Biblical literalism is the belief that the Bible, or at least large portions of it, should be read literally, not allegorically. This means the language should be interpreted as used in everyday writing and speaking."
Can someone explain what that means? I don't even understand that definition, reminds me of what evolutionists say in a way -- say something without explaining it. So what's really "Bible literalism" according to the above definition?
Biblical literalism - Religions Wiki

It means that the bible has been demonstrated to contain errant nonsense, and this fact is incompatible with the unevidenced claim that it is the inerrant word of an omniscient deity. So it's a rather desperate rationalisation, that a deity with limitless intelligence to create a message, and limitless power to communicate it, needs to use allegory, from the best guesses bronze and iron age people could muster.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
It means that the bible has been demonstrated to contain errant nonsense, and this fact is incompatible with the unevidenced claim that it is the inerrant word of an omniscient deity. So it's a rather desperate rationalisation, that a deity with limitless intelligence to create a message, and limitless power to communicate it, needs to use allegory, from the best guesses bronze and iron age people could muster.
Not to everyone. But that's what makes the world go round, to use a simile...maybe...:) As far as limitless power, He sets the limits. You do not.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
To me, it means, for example, where Jesus resurrected Lazarus, it is seen as a literal physical resurrection, whereas it can be seen as metaphorical story. Likewise when Jesus cured blindness, it is seen as literally curing eyes, whereas it can be interpreted spiritually.
Circumstances would tell the difference.

firedragon

Veteran Member
"comedy of terrors" Jesus taught peace and harmony.

So mindnumbingly irrelevant.

Jews didn't see evolution as a contradiction to their holy scriptures. It sort of explains them.

Example: Jewish: God made adam from mud (chemicals). Scientist: Life was created from muddy water (chemicals), then evolved to mankind. Science, using DNA, fills in the details, tracing man's origins to bonobo chimps, and further back to protozoa.

As irrelevant as saying I love cheese in a forum discussing chalk.