• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does "angel" mean?

Awoon

Well in the Holy Bible it can mean, a messenger/ sent one, a pious person, a minster, a metaphysical thought form, charitable men and women, a prophet.

So anyone can be an Angel.:yes:

Awoon

Well in the Holy Bible it can mean, a messenger/ sent one, a pious person, a minster, a metaphysical thought form, charitable men and women, a prophet.

So anyone can be an Angel.:yes:

Angels even get mail.:yes:

Levite

Higher and Higher
The English word angel is from the Latin angelus, which is in turn borrowed from Greek. The Koine Greek word ανγελος (angelos) is used in the Septuagint to translate the Biblical Hebrew word מלאך (malach), which literally means "messenger," or, more idiomatically, "representative." In the Tanakh, the word malach, when it contextually means "an angel" is usually accompanied by God's name (malach YHVH), which means "a messenger from YHVH" or "a representative of YHVH."

Awoon

The English word angel is from the Latin angelus, which is in turn borrowed from Greek. The Koine Greek word ανγελος (angelos) is used in the Septuagint to translate the Biblical Hebrew word מלאך (malach), which literally means "messenger," or, more idiomatically, "representative." In the Tanakh, the word malach, when it contextually means "an angel" is usually accompanied by God's name (malach YHVH), which means "a messenger from YHVH" or "a representative of YHVH."

Yep. So a messenger of YHVH appearing in a dream or vision would reveal God's thoughts or ideas.

Levite

Higher and Higher
Yep. So a messenger of YHVH appearing in a dream or vision would reveal God's thoughts or ideas.

Well, the general idea behind a messenger is to convey a message. Generally speaking, the angels that appear in the Tanakh seem to have very specific missions, some of which are somewhat cryptic, others of which are quite direct.

More complex messages are generally the product of nevi'im ("prophets," although the English word has very different associations and resonances from the Hebrew), gained from revelations experienced in visions or dreams.

At least in the classical understanding of angels (both Biblical and Talmudic), they don't appear in visions or dreams, but in real, waking life.

But as to the revelation of God's thoughts and ideas, the tradition teaches us that one must be quite cautious in presuming that the thoughts or ideas of God are ever fully and clearly comprehensible. God conveys messages to us, which prophets interpret through the lens of their prophecy, or which individuals touched by God's spirit will comprehend according to their lights; or else angels perform certain tasks, or reveal very specific information, which may or may not have apparent context, and may or may not be, in and of itself, at all illuminating or even helpful.

Awoon

Well, the general idea behind a messenger is to convey a message. Generally speaking, the angels that appear in the Tanakh seem to have very specific missions, some of which are somewhat cryptic, others of which are quite direct.

More complex messages are generally the product of nevi'im ("prophets," although the English word has very different associations and resonances from the Hebrew), gained from revelations experienced in visions or dreams.

At least in the classical understanding of angels (both Biblical and Talmudic), they don't appear in visions or dreams, but in real, waking life.

But as to the revelation of God's thoughts and ideas, the tradition teaches us that one must be quite cautious in presuming that the thoughts or ideas of God are ever fully and clearly comprehensible. God conveys messages to us, which prophets interpret through the lens of their prophecy, or which individuals touched by God's spirit will comprehend according to their lights; or else angels perform certain tasks, or reveal very specific information, which may or may not have apparent context, and may or may not be, in and of itself, at all illuminating or even helpful.

Our dreams today are quit cryptic. Picture language is hard to understand in an altered (dream) state.

I love angels... at least their fanciful depictions of them with wings... although cherubim as fat winged babies have to be certainly not very accurate, lol.

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
I love angels... at least their fanciful depictions of them with wings... although cherubim as fat winged babies have to be certainly not very accurate, lol.

Why not? As far as I can tell ET can look like however the heck ET can possibly look like.

Angel might literally mean all those things listed previously, but it basically boils down to "Cosmic Baby Sitter." For those creatures which are still too infantile to be allowed to roam the universe and make great decisions for themselves: baby sitters are needed. In this case human society is what is presumably in need of being baby sat.

MTF

Levite

Higher and Higher
although cherubim as fat winged babies have to be certainly not very accurate, lol.

Why not? As far as I can tell ET can look like however the heck ET can possibly look like.

The Tanakh actually provides a very complete depiction of what Kheruvim (cherubim) are supposed to look like: the first chapter of Ezekiel has the prophet envisioning kheruvim look like during a theophany.

It's not babies with wings.

BruceDLimber

The Baha'i scriptures describe "angel" thus:

86 "And now, concerning His words: 'And He shall send His angels....' By 'angels' is meant those who, reinforced by the power of the spirit, have consumed, with the fire of the love of God, all human traits and limitations, and have clothed themselves with the attributes of the most exalted beings....

87 "And now, inasmuch as these holy beings have sanctified themselves from every human limitation, have become endowed with the attributes of the spiritual, and have been adorned with the noble traits of the blessed, they therefore have been designated as 'angels.' Such is the meaning of these verses...."

-- The Book of Certitude, pp. 78-80

Thus angels are people who have become completely spiritual!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I like St. Michael. He kicks butt. He's the patron saint of cops.

archangel-michael.jpg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, actually all the archangels are cool. :)

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Most archangels are appropriations of pagan deities which existed for thousands of years, so that we know that their basic archetype appeals to humans.

MTF

Shermana

Heretic
The Tanakh actually provides a very complete depiction of what Kheruvim (cherubim) are supposed to look like: the first chapter of Ezekiel has the prophet envisioning kheruvim look like during a theophany.

It's not babies with wings.

I wonder if they looked like the ones carved on the ark.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Given the creation of Genesis, by the transcription of Moses' dreams,
where in Genesis did God create an angel, before the fountain and maid story.
~
I can't remember, and I can't find my bible, I think it was nailed to the wall,
right near my sword and hammer, oh well...where did God mention them.
I think it was around about 16:5 or something, maybe before that.
~
Did He create them before Adam and Eve or before them ?
Boy...memory's getting bad, damned stroke ! Can't remember anything !
~
`mud

Awoon

Given the creation of Genesis, by the transcription of Moses' dreams,
where in Genesis did God create an angel, before the fountain and maid story.
~
I can't remember, and I can't find my bible, I think it was nailed to the wall,
right near my sword and hammer, oh well...where did God mention them.
I think it was around about 16:5 or something, maybe before that.
~
Did He create them before Adam and Eve or before them ?
Boy...memory's getting bad, damned stroke ! Can't remember anything !
~
`mud

Heaven was stripped of beings in Genesis one.:yes:

Then, repopulated with Gods, and Angels, And People after Humans started writing
comedy.:camp:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
So does that mean Prophets are angels?