• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does ''agnostic atheist'' mean?

prometheus11

Okay, I'll tell you the answer. It's not evidence alone, because it was evidence, in the form of gossiping with your neighbours, that lead me to believe your roof was red in the first place. What changed, when I saw your roof with my own eyes, is a truth value. Truth as the evidence of the senses.

For those people with the empiricist bend, for whom the evidences of the senses provide them with the only accurate picture of the real world, belief is just a spring-board for knowledge. It provides a means of formulating a hypothesis, which suggests a test of itself and a probability for investing in the outcome.

For such people, the only difference between belief and knowledge is that degree of probability.

So?

Yet belief and knowledge are different things on separate continuums. For instance, you can believe something as if it were known without knowledge.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So?

Yet belief and knowledge are different things on separate continuums. For instance, you can believe something as if it were known without knowledge.
They are not so different for those folks whom the only difference is a truth value that may change with the introduction of new information.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So?

Let's say I don't believe in separate continuums (to me, the idea implies one thing continuing, a continuum per se). What does belief mean, and what is knowledge?

There's no right and wrong answers, just what it means to you and me.

prometheus11

Let's say I don't believe in separate continuums (to me, the idea implies one thing continuing, a continuum per se). What does belief mean, and what is knowledge?

There's no right and wrong answers, just what it means to you and me.

No thanks. If you don't understand the difference between the two terms, I don't think there's anywhere we can go

leibowde84

Veteran Member
You would likewise have to prove that the /theistic position, is not the best option, then; according to your own standards of ''evidence''.
Where'd you get that from?! That's not true. The burden is on the one claiming that their position is the best, assuming that is what is actually claimed. And, I am a theist. The argument is not the plausibility of theism, it is the plausibility of specific arguments for the logical necessity of theism.

prometheus11

I think I do understand (what these people think). I'm just asking for your understanding.

I don't think you do understand or you'd be asking different questions. I've given enough scenarios and examples that agree with the standard definitions. You may use those.