• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does Abraham mean?

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Thanks.

Online Etymology Dictionary. masc. proper name, name of the first of the Patriarchs in the Old Testament, from Hebrew Abraham "father of a multitude," from abh "father" + *raham (cognate with Arabic ruham "multitude"); the name he altered from Abram "high father," from second element ram "high, exalted."

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Thanks.

Online Etymology Dictionary. masc. proper name, name of the first of the Patriarchs in the Old Testament, from Hebrew Abraham "father of a multitude," from abh "father" + *raham (cognate with Arabic ruham "multitude"); the name he altered from Abram "high father," from second element ram "high, exalted."

HUMMM! Switch around a letter A and you have Brahma.

Abraham is called Father of all.

Brahma is called progenitor of all humans.

According to several scholars, the Hebrew words "Ab" means " father" and "Ram" means "High". Again "Ab" means "father" and "Bara" means "Creator" and "Am" means "people". Thus Abraham means "like Brahma, the creator of the people" or father of a religious dynasty.” Yahoo's Aabaco Small Business: Websites, Ecommerce, Email & Local Listings

Consider the word Bharata. This word is formed from the Sanskrit root ‘Bhara’, which under the sway of the rule of vowelization, may assume the form ‘Ibhar’, ‘Iber’, ‘Ibhray’, ‘Ibhri’, ‘Ibri’, ‘Ibrini’ etc. Words which all have been equated with the term Hebrew.”

What was Abraham's sister/wife called? Sarai/Sarah

What was Brahma's sister/wife called? Sarai/Saraswati

Abraham told Pharaoh and the King of Gerer that Sarai was his sister.

The bible also states that Ishmael, son of his wife Hagar, and his descendants lived in India. "...Ishmael breathed his last and died, and was gathered to his kin... They dwelt from Havilah (India), by Shur, which is close to Egypt, all the way to Asshur." (Genesis 25:17-18.)

"It is the opinion of Kalisch, however, that Havilah "in both instances designates the same country, extending at least from the Persian to the Arabian Gulf, and on account of its vast extent easily divided into two distinct parts." This opinion may be well vindicated." Havilah Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

Look at a map - this includes India.

The names of his sons, Isaac and Ishmael are derive from Sanskrit: (Hebrew) Ishaak = (Sanskrit) Ishakhu = "Friend of Shiva." (Hebrew) Ishmael = (Sanskrit) Ish-Mahal = "Great Shiva."

"Megasthenes, who was sent to India by Seleucus Nicator, about three hundred years before Christ says that the Jews 'were an Indian tribe or sect called Kalani...'" (Anacalypsis, by Godfrey Higgins, Vol. I; p. 400.)

"The tribe of Ioud or the Brahmin Abraham, left the Maturea of the kingdom of Oude in India and, settling in Goshen, or the house of the Sun or Heliopolis in Egypt, gave it the name of the place which they had left in India, Maturea." (Anacalypsis; Vol. I, p. 405.)

"...These Jews are derived from the Indian philosophers; they are named by the Indians Calani." Josephus (37 - 100 A.D.), (Book I:22.)

The Bible tells us he and family went from Ur to Egypt before being called. All goods and people from India went through Ur.

Very interesting, YES?

omega2xx

Brahma is called progenitor of all humans.

According to several scholars, the Hebrew words "Ab" means " father" and "Ram" means "High". Again "Ab" means "father" and "Bara" means "Creator" and "Am" means "people". Thus Abraham means "like Brahma, the creator of the people" or father of a religious dynasty.” Yahoo's Aabaco Small Business: Websites, Ecommerce, Email & Local Listings

Consider the word Bharata. This word is formed from the Sanskrit root ‘Bhara’, which under the sway of the rule of vowelization, may assume the form ‘Ibhar’, ‘Iber’, ‘Ibhray’, ‘Ibhri’, ‘Ibri’, ‘Ibrini’ etc. Words which all have been equated with the term Hebrew.”

What was Abraham's sister/wife called? Sarai/Sarah

What was Brahma's sister/wife called? Sarai/Saraswati

Abraham told Pharaoh and the King of Gerer that Sarai was his sister.

The bible also states that Ishmael, son of his wife Hagar, and his descendants lived in India. "...Ishmael breathed his last and died, and was gathered to his kin... They dwelt from Havilah (India), by Shur, which is close to Egypt, all the way to Asshur." (Genesis 25:17-18.)

"It is the opinion of Kalisch, however, that Havilah "in both instances designates the same country, extending at least from the Persian to the Arabian Gulf, and on account of its vast extent easily divided into two distinct parts." This opinion may be well vindicated." Havilah Definition and Meaning - Bible Dictionary

The names of his sons, Isaac and Ishmael are derive from Sanskrit: (Hebrew) Ishaak = (Sanskrit) Ishakhu = "Friend of Shiva." (Hebrew) Ishmael = (Sanskrit) Ish-Mahal = "Great Shiva."

"Megasthenes, who was sent to India by Seleucus Nicator, about three hundred years before Christ says that the Jews 'were an Indian tribe or sect called Kalani...'" (Anacalypsis, by Godfrey Higgins, Vol. I; p. 400.)

"The tribe of Ioud or the Brahmin Abraham, left the Maturea of the kingdom of Oude in India and, settling in Goshen, or the house of the Sun or Heliopolis in Egypt, gave it the name of the place which they had left in India, Maturea." (Anacalypsis; Vol. I, p. 405.)

"...These Jews are derived from the Indian philosophers; they are named by the Indians Calani." Josephus (37 - 100 A.D.), (Book I:22.)

The Bible tells us he and family went from Ur to Egypt before being called. All goods and people from India went through Ur.

Very interesting, YES?

The Bible tells us Abraham is the father of all who believe---Rom 4:11

Tumah

Veteran Member

No, he's called the father of many.

You're mixing up words because of how they transliterate.
AVRaHaM (אברהם) with capitals denoting letters and lower-case being vowel points. I've color coded the letters because I realize its difficult to recognize letters in a language you're not familiar with.

AV (אב) is "father." - this one's fine.
RaM (רם) is "high" - this one doesn't work because there's a ה between the two letters that would have made this word. In Abram (אברם), Abraham's original name, this does work.
BaRa_ (ברא) means "created" - this one has the right letters, but in the wrong order to make this word
ʕaM (עם) means "nation" - this one only shares one of its letters with the name.

I should point out that the first letter of Hebrew (עברי) is an ayin. That's a voiced pharyngeal fricative.

I don't think any opinions say that Havilah was India. The opinions are that its either in Africa or the Arabian peninsula.

Isaac's name in Hebrew is pronounced Yēṣ-ḥäq (or Yēṣ-xäq). That's not quite the same as Ishakhu, where the sh is a digraph.

And again in Ishmael you're missing the ayin. Its properly pronounced Yēšmäʕ-el.

Very interesting, YES?
For conspiracy theorists maybe.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

According to several scholars, the Hebrew words "Ab" means " father" and "Ram" means "High". Again "Ab" means "father" and "Bara" means "Creator" and "Am" means "people". Thus Abraham means "like Brahma, the creator of the people" or father of a religious dynasty.”

Since it is wrong, I didn't pay any attention to it.

Rom 4:9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

Rom 4:10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

Rom 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

You don't believe that verse Rom 4:11 - is saying Abraham is Father of a religious dynasty, Father of ALL who believe???

Last edited:

omega2xx

Rom 4:9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

Rom 4:10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.

Rom 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

You don't believe that verse Rom 4:10 - is saying Abraham is Father of a religious dynasty, Father of ALL who believe???

No, I believe Rom 4:11 says that.

omega2xx

Obviously I meant 4:11.

How about a real reply?

The Jews believe one had to be circumcised to become righteous and be qualified to go into the next life. Romans 4:11 refutes that from their own Scriptures, Abram was declared righteous before circumcision was required(Acts 15:1).

He was declared righteous, actually righteousness was imputed to him, based on one thing---believing God. Therefore if we belong to Christ, we are Abraham's descendants(Literally seed),(Gal 3:29), making him the father of all who do did what he did---believe God.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Can an uncircumcised Jews be considered righteous?

That would be disobeying a command of God. Would that not keep him from being righteous?
In certain cases, yes it is possible to be a righteous Jew an uncircumcised. But the way you phrased your earlier statement made it sound like anyone who wants to be righteous had to be circumcised, Jew or non-Jew. And I was only coming to say that this is not true when it comes to non-Jews.

Last edited:

omega2xx

In certain cases, yes it is possible to be a righteous Jew an uncircumcised. But the way you phrased your earlier statement made it sound like anyone who wants to be righteous had to be circumcised, Jew or non-Jew. And I was only coming to say that this is not true when it comes to non-Jews.[/QUOTE]

I did not say anyone. I specifically said "Jew."

omega2xx

You specifically said:
The Jews believe one had to be circumcised to become righteous and be qualified to go into the next life.

I gave you the rational behind what I said. If you don't accept it, that's fine with me.