• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do your beliefs say about death?

Cobol

Code Jockey
Consciousness is the basis of subjective experience, agency, self awareness, and the awareness of the surrounding natural world.

Consciousness depends upon the functioning of the brain.

In the process of brain death, all brain function permanently ceases, leading to eternal oblivion or nothingness.

lostwanderingsoul

It does not matter what my beliefs say. It matters what God says. God says everyone will die the first, physical, death. Those who are willing to follow His rules will not not have to face the second, spiritual, death.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The way we see death often greatly shapes how we behave in our own lives and how we value it or what we value about it. So I wanted to see if people have very different or very similar views on it and how you feel about it.
Hindu position about death is well-known - reincarnation according to 'karmas'. Hindu members may have discussed it. However, I belong to a minority view which does not accept creation, birth or death.

VioletVortex

This is a very divisive topic in Heathenry. The mythological belief is that the honourable (brave warriors, those who died protecting their families, those who were of a great value to their communities etc.) are destined to Valhalla, which is a very pleasant place with lots of food and activity. This may have been symbolic, with the actual belief being in reincarnation. The average person would wind up in Hel, which is the underworld. Hel is not a punishment, it is fairly mundane like Midgard (our world). The dishonorable would not be allowed to live on.

I believe in reincarnation, with these destinations being other planes.

MonkeyFire

The nature manifest as a thought, the thought is two terms, "I, believe." That absolutely transcends entropy.

MonkeyFire

The nature manifest as a thought, the thought is two terms, "I, believe." That absolutely transcends entropy.

Death it's self goes not naught as Hades.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I belong to a minority view which does not accept creation, birth or death.

That is also a Buddhist view. The Heart Sutra, tells us that all phenomena, including us, has no inherent self-nature (ie Sunyata). Once this is realized, who is it that lives? Who is it that dies? What is it that is created or destroyed? I believe you would see birth into existence and death of existence as maya. But I am curious to know: if this is the case, that the self is illusory, then who is it that is reincarnated? Ultimately, is all of this drama none other than Brahman playing itself as the world, including the 'play' of reincarnation, karma, birth and death?

godnotgod

Thou art That
In a recent interview, famed medical doctor and spiritualist Deepak Chopra stated the following:

Q: What happens when you die, Deepak?

Chopra: What happens when you die, is you return to where you always are. If you realize right now that there's no such thing as a person, you'll be all set.

Q: What do you mean, I'll be all set?

Chopra: Then if you shift your identity to that consciousness that is differentiating as observer and observant, you'll know there's nothing to fear.

Q: You have no fear of death.

Chopra: No Sir! Why? Because I don't exist in the first place!

Q: Can you get reincarnated as a soul?

Chopra: [Sighs] Wisps of memory and threads of desire, which are specks of information, latch onto specks of consciousness and show up as recycled human beings. But in the bigger picture, the observer, the observed, the process of observation, is a single reality.

Q: So... Deepak Chopra, as I know him [questioner taps the sitting Chopra solidly on the knee for effect] my friend Chopra... doesn't exist?

Chopra: A transient behavior of... the total universe.

What do you think Chopra means when he says:

"What happens when you die, is you return to where you always are."

Video of interview can be seen here:

janeebananee

Love is never wrong. But it IS a choice.
I used to think about death all the time, from my pre-teens to my thirtys. But people didn't want to talk about it. When I'd bring up the subject, I'd be told it wasn't healthy to dwell on death, or it wasn't normal, it was an inappropriate subject of conversation,... only weirdos obsessed on it. No one wanted to hear about it, so I kept my thoughts to myself.

I was once very afraid of dying, but I reasoned my way through it and no longer was. I told myself, if I cease to exist when my body dies I'll be dead, but I won't know it; I won't feel anything,...ok. OR, I won't cease to exist when my body dies,...Hooray! There's nothing to fear; It's a win either way!

I've had no fear of death ever since.

Or so I've thought.

Then unexpectedly, a month ago, I was diagnosed with having Stage 4 metastasizing lung cancer - it has a ZERO percent survival rate - They tell me I have few months, "maybe more", to live. So I'm in hospice care/in home now, getting dosed with enough morphine to keep 6 horses happy.

Yet I can't seem to grasp that I'm dying. It's too unreal and inconceivable to take seriously.

Meanwhile, 3 weeks of my "few months" have already gone by.

godnotgod

Thou art That
I used to think about death all the time, from my pre-teens to my thirtys. But people didn't want to talk about it. When I'd bring up the subject, I'd be told it wasn't healthy to dwell on death, or it wasn't normal, it was an inappropriate subject of conversation,... only weirdos obsessed on it. No one wanted to hear about it, so I kept my thoughts to myself.

I was once very afraid of dying, but I reasoned my way through it and no longer was. I told myself, if I cease to exist when my body dies I'll be dead, but I won't know it; I won't feel anything,...ok. OR, I won't cease to exist when my body dies,...Hooray! There's nothing to fear; It's a win either way!

Or so I've thought.

Then unexpectedly, a month ago, I was diagnosed with having Stage 4 metastasizing lung cancer - it has a ZERO percent survival rate - They tell me I have few months, "maybe more", to live. So I'm in hospice care/in home now, getting dosed with enough morphine to keep 6 horses happy.

Yet I can't seem to grasp that I'm dying. It's too unreal and inconceivable to take seriously.

Perhaps it seems unreal because it is, and the only thing that is real is the consciousness that sees it as such. That consciousness is Unborn, Uncaused, Unconditioned, and cannot die.

My brother, who was a yogi, said life was like a wheel with spokes. Who you really are is the hub, which is changeless, and your current life is one of the spokes.

"All this life is filled with coming and going*;
show me the path where there is no coming and
there is no going"

from Zen

*birth and death

Cateau

Giovanni Pico & Della Barba Devotee

Or so I've thought.

I used to think about death all the time too, not because it was a fascination for me but because I wanted it for me, now I do not want it but I do think to myself: "wow it's all down hill from here, my age will soon get the best of me" and it does startle me because I wonder what will become of me, what is this limbo or Sheol as a place of rest all speak of concerning the soul? Will I be a fruitful twig or one for the fire in The Maker's eye? This because I read the Bible, don't know about you, but before you go....watch Burzynski (2010).....he cured cancer of all types, mainly untreatable zero survival like yours, and they nearly approved his death sentence and has been kept under thumb, meanwhile billions go to the St. Jude (more like St. JUDAS) Hospital and the likes of it to pay for trips to Cancun, cuz they for sure ain't fighting cancer, they're fighting with it. There is deff. something evil about our planet, there is evil in it....maybe because there is no god, no superman prototype to fear and look up to so we succumb to these heinous crimes as an outcome of the Lucifer Effect; or maybe because there is a god and we want to take His place by plotting and creating a new superhuman race to become as Him and a slave race to look up to them instead of the real Creator....but anyway, placebos and prayer, organic raw unfiltered juices, leafy greens, nuts, and range free protein should extend your days, maybe try the Gerson Therapy. The one thing that doesn't have a price is the one thing you shouldn't sell out on...don't go down without a fight....mentally, physically or emotionally. RIP, whoever's first right. I'll be praying for you.

Last edited:

Cateau

In a recent interview, famed medical doctor and spiritualist Deepak Chopra stated the following:

Q: What happens when you die, Deepak?

Chopra: What happens when you die, is you return to where you always are. If you realize right now that there's no such thing as a person, you'll be all set.

Q: What do you mean, I'll be all set?

Chopra: Then if you shift your identity to that consciousness that is differentiating as observer and observant, you'll know there's nothing to fear.

Q: You have no fear of death.

Chopra: No Sir! Why? Because I don't exist in the first place!

Q: Can you get reincarnated as a soul?

Chopra: [Sighs] Wisps of memory and threads of desire, which are specks of information, latch onto specks of consciousness and show up as recycled human beings. But in the bigger picture, the observer, the observed, the process of observation, is a single reality.

Q: So... Deepak Chopra, as I know him [questioner taps the sitting Chopra solidly on the knee for effect] my friend Chopra... doesn't exist?

Chopra: A transient behavior of... the total universe.

What do you think Chopra means when he says:

"What happens when you die, is you return to where you always are."

Video of interview can be seen here:

We are always on earth, from dust we came so to dust shall we return; the only problem I have with new age spiritualists is they put down our " earthly vessels" or do not even give it's properties any praise when due, it is amazing ....ever breath we take, how we coexist with nature, how much it takes for the body to live, it is the perfect servent and the nature of god's love because it is always at work for us even when we mistreat it. A universe within a universe, a reality within a reality, how we grow blind to it amazes me. My one hope would be to be donated (my organs anyway) to some rich, very can do, influential people so that the memories held within them can transfer over and perhaps make the world a better place....because as far as I can tell no one cares to do a thing to stop global harm and suffering, and maybe it's because god stretched out His hand against us for His greater purpose in this closing era for His return, but I would hope people would choose to build homes and soup kitchens for the poor instead of sports complexes and food storages/underground bunkers instead of make stupid movies forecasting the upcoming disaster to hit humanity....FTW. The only peace I get is to know eventually another meteor is bound to hit us again, because to coexist with the mirth of life and it's follies is hell on earth, to have to live with the knowledge of the cruelty happening of the other end and not being able to stop the turning of the gears of the machine. It is something only god could stop in my opinion.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is also a Buddhist view. The Heart Sutra, tells us that all phenomena, including us, has no inherent self-nature (ie Sunyata). Once this is realized, who is it that lives? Who is it that dies? What is it that is created or destroyed? I believe you would see birth into existence and death of existence as maya. But I am curious to know: if this is the case, that the self is illusory, then who is it that is reincarnated? Ultimately, is all of this drama none other than Brahman playing itself as the world, including the 'play' of reincarnation, karma, birth and death?
'Advaita'
Hinduism is close to Buddhism, and my personal views on 'Advaita' are even closer. Besides, I consider Buddha to be one of my guru.

Who lives: What lives all the time, Brahman, the sole constituent of all 'things' in the universe.
Who dies: None. Brahman is eternal, unchanging.
What is created or destroyed: No such 'thing', since the eternal Brahman is the only entity that exists.
Is birth and death 'maya': Yes, 'maya', illusion.

"Na me mṛtyuśaṅkā na me jātibhedaḥ, pitā naiva me naiva mātā na janmaḥ;
na bandhur na mitraṃ gurunaiva śişyaḥ, cidānandarūpaḥ śivo'ham śivo'ham.

Ahaṃ nirvikalpo nirākāra rūpo, vibhutvā ca sarvatra sarvendriyāṇaṃ;
na cāsangata naiva muktir na meyaḥ, cidānandarūpaḥ śivo'ham śivo'ham."

(I do not have fear of death, as I do not have death. I have no separation from my true self, no doubt about my existence, nor have I discrimination on the basis of birth. I have no father or mother, nor did I have a birth. I am not the relative, nor the friend, nor the guru, nor the disciple. I am indeed, that eternal auspicious bliss, that eternal auspicious bliss.

I am all pervasive. I am without any attributes, and without any form. I have neither attachment to the world, nor to liberation (mukti). I have no wishes for anything because I am everything, everywhere, every time, always in equilibrium. I am indeed, that eternal auspicious bliss, that eternal auspicious bliss.)
Atma Shatkam - Wikipedia (Six verses to enlightenment by the first Sanakracharya, also known as Nirvana Shatakam)

Is self illusionary: Yes, Self (personal) is 'maya'. Self is Brahman - "Ayamātmā Brahma" (This self is Brahman - true for all so-called 'selves'). - Mandukya Upanishad
Who is reincarnated: All forms are Brahman - "Sarvam Khalu Idam Brahma" (All things here are Brahman). - Chandogya Upanishad

"Yathā, Saumya, ekena mrit-pindena sarvam mrinmayam vijnātam syāt vācarambhanam vikāro nama-dheyam, mrittikā iti eva satyam." - Chandogya Upanishad
(For example, O Polite Enquirer, by knowing one sod of clay all that is made of clay is known, in the same way, the different names are but distortions in the scheme of giving names. The fact, verily, is that clay only is the truth)

Ultimately, is all of this drama none other than Brahman playing itself as the world, including the 'play' of reincarnation, karma, birth and death?: Yes. And that is me, "Aham Brahmāsmi" - (I am Brahman). - Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Last edited:

janeebananee

Love is never wrong. But it IS a choice.
I used to think about death all the time too, not because it was a fascination for me but because I wanted it for me, now I do not want it but I do think to myself: "wow it's all down hill from here, my age will soon get the best of me" and it does startle me because I wonder what will become of me, what is this limbo or Sheol as a place of rest all speak of concerning the soul? Will I be a fruitful twig or one for the fire in The Maker's eye? This because I read the Bible, don't know about you, but before you go....watch Burzynski (2010).....he cured cancer of all types, mainly untreatable zero survival like yours, and they nearly approved his death sentence and has been kept under thumb, meanwhile billions go to the St. Jude (more like St. JUDAS) Hospital and the likes of it to pay for trips to Cancun, cuz they for sure ain't fighting cancer, they're fighting with it. There is deff. something evil about our planet, there is evil in it....maybe because there is no god, no superman prototype to fear and look up to so we succumb to these heinous crimes as an outcome of the Lucifer Effect; or maybe because there is a god and we want to take His place by plotting and creating a new superhuman race to become as Him and a slave race to look up to them instead of the real Creator....but anyway, placebos and prayer, organic raw unfiltered juices, leafy greens, nuts, and range free protein should extend your days, maybe try the Gerson Therapy. The one thing that doesn't have a price is the one thing you shouldn't sell out on...don't go down without a fight....mentally, physically or emotionally. RIP, whoever's first right. I'll be praying for you.

You really crack me up!

You say..... "It's all down hill from here", your age will soon get the best of you?

You're only 25 years old!!!!! You have YEARS of vastly wondrous life ahead of you yet to live. I've lived 44 years longer than you, and I can tell you the 30's are incredible; the 40's marvelously exciting; the 50's laden with joy and fulfillment; and the 60's,...well, I'm in my 69th year now and I'm still inextricably in love with life!

Cateau

You really crack me up!

You say..... "It's all down hill from here", your age will soon get the best of you?

You're only 25 years old!!!!! You have YEARS of vastly wondrous life ahead of you yet to live. I've lived 44 years longer than you, and I can tell you the 30's are incredible; the 40's marvelously exciting; the 50's laden with joy and fulfillment; and the 60's,...well, I'm in my 69th year now and I'm still inextricably in love with life!
Im glad to make you laugh ;) well I mean I feel my youth was wasted, I could have read so much more and now I have work and responsibilities...i hate I never learned of good sites like this till now; lol ok yeah it's not all bad going downhill, it's kinda fun like a roller coaster weeeeee!!! I hope to retire soon, I bought a book collection and wanna start soon....or I'll pass it on to my nxt of kin, cuz well you don't need someone to tell you you're dying, we all are, it's just a matter of time right. I'll remember you're great sense of humor when ever I need to put on a brave face... I'll laugh instead.

godnotgod

Thou art That
'Advaita' Hinduism is close to Buddhism, and my personal views on 'Advaita' are even closer. Besides, I consider Buddha to be one of my guru.

Who lives: What lives all the time, Brahman, the sole constituent of all 'things' in the universe.
Who dies: None. Brahman is eternal, unchanging.
What is created or destroyed: No such 'thing', since the eternal Brahman is the only entity that exists.
Is birth and death 'maya': Yes, 'maya', illusion.

"Na me mṛtyuśaṅkā na me jātibhedaḥ, pitā naiva me naiva mātā na janmaḥ;
na bandhur na mitraṃ gurunaiva śişyaḥ, cidānandarūpaḥ śivo'ham śivo'ham.

Ahaṃ nirvikalpo nirākāra rūpo, vibhutvā ca sarvatra sarvendriyāṇaṃ;
na cāsangata naiva muktir na meyaḥ, cidānandarūpaḥ śivo'ham śivo'ham."

(I do not have fear of death, as I do not have death. I have no separation from my true self, no doubt about my existence, nor have I discrimination on the basis of birth. I have no father or mother, nor did I have a birth. I am not the relative, nor the friend, nor the guru, nor the disciple. I am indeed, that eternal auspicious bliss, that eternal auspicious bliss.

I am all pervasive. I am without any attributes, and without any form. I have neither attachment to the world, nor to liberation (mukti). I have no wishes for anything because I am everything, everywhere, every time, always in equilibrium. I am indeed, I am indeed, that eternal auspicious bliss, that eternal auspicious bliss.)
Atma Shatkam - Wikipedia (Six verses to enlightenment by the first Sanakracharya, also known as Nirvana Shatakam)

Is self illusionary: Yes, Self (personal) is 'maya'. Self is Brahman - "Ayamātmā Brahma" (This self is Brahman - true for all so-called 'selves'). - Mandukya Upanishad
Who is reincarnated: All forms are Brahman - "Sarvam Khalu Idam Brahma" (All things here are Brahman). - Chandogya Upanishad

"Yathā, Saumya, ekena mrit-pindena sarvam mrinmayam vijnātam syāt vācarambhanam vikāro nama-dheyam, mrittikā iti eva satyam." - Chandogya Upanishad
(For example, O Polite Enquirer, by knowing one sod of clay all that is made of clay is known, in the same way, the different names are but distortions in the scheme of giving names, the fact, verily, is that it is clay only)

Ultimately, is all of this drama none other than Brahman playing itself as the world, including the 'play' of reincarnation, karma, birth and death?: Yes. And that is me, "Aham Brahmāsmi" - (I am Brahman). - Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Thank you, Aupmanyav, for excellent clarification. Namaste.:)

whirlingmerc

One aspect of life and death is that as Revelation said 'they did not love their lives even to death' God showcases a people who choose the things of lasting eternal value over transitory things that will go away. They glorify God by setting aside lesser things (they believe) for greater.

God also brings meaning to life tasks, to work and relationships as well

Last edited:

whirlingmerc

Deepak says what you feel is real and shows your soul. Well.... It may be .... but people also may misunderstand or misinterpret or put greater emphasis on some things that should not be held so highly.

Loss of personhood? but what is God is a person and the source of personhood and personhood of individuals stick instead of being trancient?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
death is the shedding of the body. subjectively I feel inner joy and peace for having chose my am so well.

The dying of all earthly desires relieves a lot of burden.

that I lived for the higher purpose of truth with a few minor regrets .

that the world's paint don't stick

that I loved and cared.
that's death to me .

And it ain't even an end but one.