• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Do You Understand About The Atonement? - Homework Help!!

Tallie

I have no idea what the "Christian DIR" forum is (I'm a noob. Sorry! XD) Sooooo I'm gonna post this here and hope for the best.
I'm doing another project for my Religion class and I need to ask another Christian about the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

So here are the questions:
What do you understand about the Atonement of Jesus Christ?
What is the purpose for the Atonement?

I need these responses before tomorrow. They don't even have to be very long. Just however long you need them to be to explain. It would be super helpful! =) Thanks!

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
As Brickjectivity says it is about the peace of becoming one.
It lliterally means ....at-one-ment.

Atonement theology has come to mean quite different things, including the forgiveness of of sins though the sacrifice of Jesus blood. This is now rejected by more and more churches. And theologians.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Here is a fairly recent Article on the atonement theology by the United Methodist
church.

Confronting Atonement Theology

You have a problem if you do not know what your own church and class teacher want to hear...
as some definitely do believe in Atonement theology and would expect that you do to.
many of the protestant evangelical churches in the USA would defend it with their lives.

omega2xx

As Brickjectivity says it is about the peace of becoming one.
It lliterally means ....at-one-ment.

Atonement theology has come to mean quite different things, including the forgiveness of of sins though the sacrifice of Jesus blood. This is now rejected by more and more churches. And theologians.

Atonement has nothing to do with at-one-with. The NT word is "propitiation," which means satisfaction. Jesus's sacrifice, satisfied God's penalty for our sins. Another word for atonement refers to the mercy set on the Ark of e covenant. This points to God showing mercy to sinners.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Biblically It means to get right with God. Yom Kippur is the Jewish day of Atonement, where the Jews got right with God. But apparently Jesus took the place of the Jewish feasts and you make atonement through Jesus Christ now, rather than through Jewish priests. Though it's more complicated than that, and nobody really seems to know for sure what it's all about. Copy something off wikipedia...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Atonement has nothing to do with at-one-with. The NT word is "propitiation," which means satisfaction. Jesus's sacrifice, satisfied God's penalty for our sins. Another word for atonement refers to the mercy set on the Ark of e covenant. This points to God showing mercy to sinners.

That is exactly why I said some churches believe in, and still teach atonement theology.
Which clearly include yours, indeed, so do some Anglicans, but not my self and many others including our late rector and large parts of the church.

Kemosloby

Premium Member

Are you sure it didn't just give Jesus authority to forgive sins. Jesus would have power to forgive or not forgive at his own discresion. So atonement is to get yourself right with Jesus so that he does forgive your sins.

omega2xx

That is exactly why I said some churches believe in, and still teach atonement theology.
Which clearly include yours, indeed, so do some Anglicans, but not my self and many others including our late rector and large parts of the church.

Atonement theology needs to be taught, but it needs to be understood first. It needs to be taught because it is mentioned in the Bible many times. God didn't put in His word just to fill up space.

If I remember right, Anglican churches lean toward liberalism and have a low view of the Bible.

omega2xx

Are you sure it didn't just give Jesus authority to forgive sins. Jesus would have power to forgive or not forgive at his own discresion. So atonement is to get yourself right with Jesus so that he does forgive your sins.

Atonement is not about getting right with Jesus. It is about someone doing something to atone for my sins, It is not about forgiveness. Get a good translation and look at I Jn 2:2. Then get your dictionary and look up- propitiation. That is what atonement is about.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Atonement is not about getting right with Jesus. It is about someone doing something to atone for my sins, It is not about forgiveness. Get a good translation and look at I Jn 2:2. Then get your dictionary and look up- propitiation. That is what atonement is about.

Then everybody everywhere is saved, in your veiw?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Atonement theology needs to be taught, but it needs to be understood first. It needs to be taught because it is mentioned in the Bible many times. God didn't put in His word just to fill up space.

If I remember right, Anglican churches lean toward liberalism and have a low view of the Bible.

Then you remember wrong, Anglicans are a broad church and cover from near puritan to Anglo-Catholic. Including many evangelicals.
However a decreasing number christians still agree with your interpretation of salvationon /atonement theology.

It has always been one of the most disputed areas of theology.
Did you follow the link I gave in my earlier post? If you do you will find one of the most accepted beliefs .

Last edited:

omega2xx

Then everybody everywhere is saved, in your veiw?

No. The atonement paid the price man's sins. Now individuals must their part. Make the atonement personal by accepting what Jesus did for them.

In the OT levitical sacrificial system, each individual had to offer the proper sacrifice for their sins.

omega2xx

Then you remember wrong, Anglicans are a broad church and cover from near puritan to Anglo-Catholic. Including many evangelicals.

'Haven some Anglican churches ordained homosexual priests?

Do all Anglican churches accept the inspiration of Scripture?

However a decreasing number christians still agree with your interpretation of salvationon /atonement theology.

Atonement is no about salvation.

It has always been one of the most disputed areas of theology.
Did you follow the link I gave in my earlier post? If you do you will find one of the most accepted beliefs .

I answered from my own study of the subject.

arthra

Baha'i
A Baha'i source:

"The great Manifestations (of God) unveil themselves in this world, bear every difficulty and ordeal -- to make these ready souls dawnings of light and confer upon them eternal life. This is the real atonement that His holiness Christ made-He sacrificed Himself for the life of the world."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v3, p. 542

whirlingmerc

I understand it leads to 'our righteousness resting on God not ourselves'
The Lord is our righteousness "he who knew no sin became sin that we might become the righteousness of God in Him" Cor

'The Lord our Righteousness' is also a phrase of Jeremiah's
[GALLERY=media, 7874]Jeremiah Cover by whirlingmerc posted Feb 3, 2017 at 11:47 PM[/GALLERY]
see --> Lessons from the life and dangers of Jeremiah