• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That is not a religion in the classical definition, it is a philosophy. Religions can express themselves in various philosophies, the question remains.

No, but there are other definitions of religion.
If you google definition of religion and check the top 10 link you will notice that there is no one universal correct definition of religion.

I am postmodern and to me, religion is in effect a worldview. We all have those.

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
No, but there are other definitions of religion.
If you google definition of religion and check the top 10 link you will notice that there is no one universal correct definition of religion.

I am postmodern and to me, religion is in effect a worldview. We all have those.
Yes, the term itself is vague, but let's stick with the nominal definition of organized religions as are recognized by this forum by having a DIR. Do they or not?

Sedim Haba

Outa here... bye-bye!
Then even I fit some of the sub-dirs for different religions.
OK, you are the outlier, but that does not change the nature of organized religions. With few exceptions, they promote hate and not love, fear above understanding and tolerance. Deny this? Speak for them? I feel not. Hate is the product of 'righteousness' across all faiths and it's endemic.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
OK, you are the outlier, but that does not change the nature of organized religions. With few exceptions, they promote hate and not love, fear above understanding and tolerance. Deny this? Speak for them? I feel not. Hate is the product of 'righteousness' across all faiths and it's endemic.

Being right, is not limited to standard religions. Right and wrong are social constructs not limited to standard religions.

MikeF

Premium Member
Sometimes it’s the intellect which blinds us, to those things which can only be apprehended with the spirit and experienced in the heart.

If you mean than the intellect can hamper or prevent one from immersing in self-deception, then yes, I agree with you. If you want to argue that for some people, or for certain circumstances, self-deception may be necessary, I suppose one could make a case for that. I, personally, make an effort to eschew self-deception. How successful I am at that goal may be debatable, but that is my goal regardless. :)

I will assume that spirit and heart are used metaphorically, in which case I reject the notion that one cannot intellectually understand their emotions and experience them as emotions at the same time. In other words, one can intellectually understand what love is in all the many ways we use that word and still experience (and value) love in all those many uses (and for that matter, fully recognize the potential negative aspects to love in all its varied forms). Intellect, knowledge, understanding, does not make, or turn one into, an unemotional robot.

If spirit is meant in some literal fashion, then I would only say that it is a concept with which I do not agree exists.

MikeF

Premium Member
That’s not love. Love is unconditional, it does not seek to possess or control.

If a new song came out and I say, "Wow, I love that song!" and after months of over playing that song I find that my "love" has wanned, is it your position that I never loved the song in the first place? :)

MikeF

Premium Member
Dislike is not intellectual. As for "see" that is understanding and not observation. That understanding is not objective and without evidence.

I'm not sure what your point is here. I think my post was quite clear that I was asserting my subjective opinion on the subject.

I also don't get "Dislike is not intellectual". Are you saying our intellect cannot inform or influence our subjective preferences? If that is the case, I would disagree.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I'm not sure what your point is here. I think my post was quite clear that I was asserting my subjective opinion on the subject.

I also don't get "Dislike is not intellectual". Are you saying our intellect cannot inform or influence our subjective preferences? If that is the case, I would disagree.

Well, brain scans show that you can use feelings/emotions alone or in combination with the intellect, but not only the intellect. It connects to the is-ought problem.

MikeF

Premium Member
Well, brain scans show that you can use feelings/emotions alone or in combination with the intellect, but not only the intellect. It connects to the is-ought problem.

So, dislike can use intellect? I guess you need to correct your previous statement.

Messianic Israelite

A life of faith without love is like sunlight without warmth - the type of light that occurs in winter, when nothing grows and everything droops and dies.

I came across this comment recently.

Made total sense to me, considering the struggle I’ve had over a number of years regarding religion in general.

What do you think?

Jeremiah Ames. No-one seems to have a problem with the fact that Yahweh is love. The problem I have is that people don't know what love is. Love is the keeping of Yahweh's Law (1 John 5:2). This is how we show love to Yahweh and our fellow men. But few people care what Yahweh's Law says, sadly. Love isn't loving evil, love is clinging to the good and hating the evil. If a woman was raped by a man, love isn't smiling at that rapist and congratulating him, but love hates the evil and this is what so few people understand. Loving evil makes us evil also.