• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of the Pope?

What do you think of Pope Francis?

• Best Pope ever!

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I like Him!

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • He's okay

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Not my cup of tea

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • I hate him

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
While I'm not a Catholic or even a (doctrinal) Christian, I am inspired by the essential message of Saint Francis. I find Pope Francis to be a man who understands the essential message of the Christ and to be inspired by the life of Saint Francis. So I'm very much a fan of his.

Sees

Dragonslayer
I voted "He's okay" - do like some things about him but not all...pretty small amount of knowledge concerning him either way.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I would actually like to ask if you know where the idea of a Pope came from?
He is called the "Pontiff" which I believe is a shortened form of Pontifex Maximus which was a pagan Roman title.

In 312 C.E., Constantine defeated his opponent Maxentius in the battle of the Milvian Bridge outside Rome. Christian apologists claimed that during that campaign, there appeared under the sun a flaming cross bearing the Latin words In hoc signo vinces, meaning “In this sign conquer.” It is also held that in a dream, Constantine was told to paint the first two letters of Christ’s name in Greek on the shields of his troops. However, this story suffers from many anachronisms.

The book A History of Christianity states: “There is a conflict of evidence about the exact time, place and details of this vision.” Welcoming Constantine in Rome, a pagan Senate declared him chief Augustus and Pontifex Maximus, that is, high priest of the pagan religion of the empire.

Doesn't this make you wonder if a Pope was ever supposed to be in Christianity.....(2 Cor 6:14-18)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I voted 'Best Pope Ever' and I am winning 1-0-0-0.

I think he does the splits to keep one foot in tradition and one foot in modernity.
I voted "not my cup of tea". I think that he's nowhere near as progressive as people assume he is.

I'd say that he's pretty close to Benedict in terms of beliefs and policies, just with better media relations skills.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
It's hard to do worse than Herr Palpatine, friend. After Pope Sideuous, it's hard for anyone to look that bad. But he's not the best pope. That's clearly whoever, when asked if he believed God would open heaven to him because of all the blood he spilled, that if not then he would lay siege to the gates of Heaven.

I dunno about the rest of you, but whoever believes he could conquer Heaven gets my vote for "best Pope".

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's hard to do worse than Herr Palpatine, friend. After Pope Sideuous, it's hard for anyone to look that bad.
I get that Benedict wasn't really photogenic. It's beside the point.

Can you name a single issue where Benedict and Francis disagree?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I would actually like to ask if you know where the idea of a Pope came from?
He is called the "Pontiff" which I believe is a shortened form of Pontifex Maximus which was a pagan Roman title.

In 312 C.E., Constantine defeated his opponent Maxentius in the battle of the Milvian Bridge outside Rome. Christian apologists claimed that during that campaign, there appeared under the sun a flaming cross bearing the Latin words In hoc signo vinces, meaning “In this sign conquer.” It is also held that in a dream, Constantine was told to paint the first two letters of Christ’s name in Greek on the shields of his troops. However, this story suffers from many anachronisms.

The book A History of Christianity states: “There is a conflict of evidence about the exact time, place and details of this vision.” Welcoming Constantine in Rome, a pagan Senate declared him chief Augustus and Pontifex Maximus, that is, high priest of the pagan religion of the empire.

Doesn't this make you wonder if a Pope was ever supposed to be in Christianity.....(2 Cor 6:14-18)

When and/or how did the Pope say he was the next decendent disciple of Peter? Do you know?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Any thoughts?

The day he will say that comdoms are a good idea to stop the spread of AIDS is the day I might like him. But I am not holding my breath.

Saying that atheists might go to Heaven does not cut it, I am afraid. Useless for atheists and useless for people dying of Aids in Africa.

Ciao

- viole