• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of the new UUA logo?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Symbolically, I think it's much worse than other designs I've seen them use in the past. The feeling of the symbol doesn't match what UU is about at all:

Circles. They're gone. Gone is the symbol of unity and kinship, of integrity and wholeness, of interconnectedness and reconciliation. Why? But far, far worse than that is the color choice. Red. Red has got to be the worst color choice possible to express what the religion is about. Red is an authoritarian power color and a divisive, passionate color that evokes things like violence, war, blood, fertility, and sex. Seriously... I can't figure out what they were thinking with this one. The color choice has completely blown the intended meaning of the flaming chalice to me. Instead of looking like a symbol of illumination, hope, or truth, it looks like a ruddy war banner or something you'd see championed in competitive sports. This war-banner appearance is compounded by the replacement of the chalice with... well... a torch. It's just a torch. Something you light and race around for Olympic sporting events. Something you light in mass quantities to riot on the streets to ferret out heretics. And the torch in conjunction with that U shape looks rather like a pitchfork. Torches and pitchforks, guys. There's no gentle chalice, but an aggressive, upward-pointing U-shape with a rallying torch. Whenever I look at this, I'm going to think "war-banner." :facepalm:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
While I appreciate that they're trying to have their logo reflect the ideals of Unitarian Universalism more, I think it's aesthetically dull.

It's not very pleasant to look at.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
For those unwilling to switch to a new page (or just lazy), here is the logo:

asset_upload_file565_293221.png

I agree that it is disappointing when contrasted to the previous one.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Not UU, but meh. Don't like the colour (I'm not big on that shade of pink/red/whatever) or the U. I like the fire.

It looks okay, but it looks a bit too much like a business logo to me.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
I love the new logo. The old logo was substantially inferior visually. The vibrant color and modern aesthetic touches of the new logo communicates the vibrancy and vitality of a living faith far better than the stuck-in-the-past logo which at this point almost looks like something our Coming of Age students could have come up with. And the new logo has all the critical components it needs: The two 'U's. The chalice. The flame. A single, united flame. And none of the baggage of the past, i.e., the two circles representing two different faiths, now more than 50 years after that symbology had worthwhile meaning.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Im not a UU, but I like the new logo. It evokes images of the trident in Saivism and the Sikh symbol. The one thing that bothers me is that, on first glance, it looks way to much like a university logo. Kind of commercial looking. Still, the old one just doesn't really move me much.

applewuud

Quintessence's critique of the color red is interesting, I hadn't even thought of the color (and am not sure the logo wouldn't usually be in black, anyway). But an earthy green would have been nicer. Or purple.

As I've said in other threads, (http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/unitarian-universalism-dir/82936-new-name-uu-2.html) I think our most important "rebranding" would be to find a better name than "Unitarian Universalism"...too many syllables.

Last edited: