• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of just using Om for everything?

ManSinha

Good. I was hoping you didn't think me to be a total jerk after that exchange

Not at all - I had one poster PM me and call me out as attacking him ad hominem - turns out he was taking exception to me poking holes in his theories - I told him attacking people personally was not fruitful for me or my style :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Just your average clothes - not sure about California shorts - but I have gone to the Golden Temple wearing T shirt and jeans - no issue :)

As to what to do - one option - stand back - observe and follow the crowd

As I understand it, the only dress code is no shoes, which I don't have a problem with anyone since I've never allowed shoes in my house. Not so much a Hindu thing, but more of a obsessive compulsive neat freak thing. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I still have yet to go to one. It's less about feeling insecure about belonging than it is about being more comfortable practicing alone. Not to say that the insecurity doesn't play a part. Knowing what to wear, what to do, etc.

It's different for different people. Some people can jump right into a more public worship, others need privacy. I'm somewhere in between. There are times like recently that I'm "jonesing for a God fix", and other times I feel more peaceful at my home shrine. Once or twice I got to the temple door, turned around, got in the truck and went home. I just couldn't go in. Other times, I get in the door, see Sri Guruvayurappan (Krishna, the presiding deity, the first one you see in a temple), take a deep "ahhh!" kind of breath and feel refreshed.

As far as what to wear, what to do, that's easy...
  1. Smart business casual. A lot of men wear jeans at my temple, I try not to. Nice Dockers or other khakis, etc. Polo or button up shirt, nice pullover.
  2. Do what everyone else does. :D I'm serious. I may have no idea what they're doing, but I do it, and look it up or ask later.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not at all - I had one poster PM me and call me out as attacking him ad hominem - turns out he was taking exception to me poking holes in his theories - I told him attacking people personally was not fruitful for me or my style :)
Just report it. The mods here are excellent.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
As I understand it, the only dress code is no shoes, which I don't have a problem with anyone since I've never allowed shoes in my house. Not so much a Hindu thing, but more of a obsessive compulsive neat freak thing. :D

Cleveland, right? Boss and I were there last November. Wish I knew then what I know now, cause I would have gone over there and dragged your silly self off to one. We went to two, one in the evening, and one the next morning before heading out.

Ajarn

If you are using Religion, spiritual methods or pray or even om to gain wealth, your going to be waiting a very long time.

That is like the misguided souls that ask Buddhist monks for lucky numbers to buy lotto tickets every week for 30 years and still miserably havnt win.

Had they have gone to the Temple for the right reason they would be so happy wealth would not be an issue.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Cleveland, right? Boss and I were there last November. Wish I knew then what I know now, cause I would have gone over there and dragged your silly self off to one. We went to two, one in the evening, and one the next morning before heading out.

Yep, Cleveland. Sorry I missed you. You wouldn't happen to recall which ones you went to, would you? There's the Greater Cleveland Shiva Vishnu Temple that I've been toying with the idea of visiting for like...the last year.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yep, Cleveland. Sorry I missed you. You wouldn't happen to recall which ones you went to, would you? There's the Greater Cleveland Shiva Vishnu Temple that I've been toying with the idea of visiting for like...the last year.
In the evening we went to the Hindu temple of greater Cleveland, then in the AM to the Venkateswara temple. I think we preferred the first one because it has a Saiva section. Very 'Smarta' but a separate Saiva section in which we sat for quite some time. The other one is perhaps stronger, as it's obvious who God is there, more focus on a single deity ... but both are nice. Both welcoming.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In the evening we went to the Hindu temple of greater Cleveland, then in the AM to the Venkateswara temple. I think we preferred the first one because it has a Saiva section. Very 'Smarta' but a separate Saiva section in which we sat for quite some time. The other one is perhaps stronger, as it's obvious who God is there, more focus on a single deity ... but both are nice. Both welcoming.

I was just looking on Google. There are some pretty cool pics and videos of the Greater Cleveland temple here: Google Maps: Shiva Vishnu Temple of Greater Cleveland

Is this the one you went to?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was just looking on Google. There are some pretty cool pics and videos of the Greater Cleveland temple here: Google Maps: Shiva Vishnu Temple of Greater Cleveland

Is this the one you went to?
Yes, that's the one, except it was pitch dark when we went. It's general north Indian style, and the Venkateswara one is more South Indian, not that it matters much. There were no pujas going on at either when we went, so its just go in, walk around, find a place to sit, and stare at a murthy. But if you go during special times, you'll see something. If I remember right, we went on a Sunday evening, Monday morning. Not sure though. We had driven from Toronto, stopped at a temple in Rochester on the way. After the Venkateswara temple we went to another Venkateswara temple in Nova, then Siva in Flint, and then a generalist one in Grand Rapids that evening. Long day.

Sunday morning would be the most crowded day for either.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, that's the one, except it was pitch dark when we went. It's general north Indian style, and the Venkateswara one is more South Indian, not that it matters much. There were no pujas going on at either when we went, so its just go in, walk around, find a place to sit, and stare at a murthy. But if you go during special times, you'll see something. If I remember right, we went on a Sunday evening, Monday morning. Not sure though. We had driven from Toronto, stopped at a temple in Rochester on the way. After the Venkateswara temple we went to another Venkateswara temple in Nova, then Siva in Flint, and then a generalist one in Grand Rapids that evening. Long day.

Sunday morning would be the most crowded day for either.

I'll have to check out the hours and schedule of events. I prefer, at least on my first visit, to go when it's all but vacant, just to look around and get my bearings.

The Venkateswara temple looks a good bit more formal than the Shiva Vishnu temple in just looking at online pictures.

ManSinha

As far as what to wear, what to do, that's easy...
  1. Smart business casual. A lot of men wear jeans at my temple, I try not to. Nice Dockers or other khakis, etc. Polo or button up shirt, nice pullover.
  2. Do what everyone else does. :D I'm serious. I may have no idea what they're doing, but I do it, and look it up or ask later.

That is what I said as well :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'll have to check out the hours and schedule of events. I prefer, at least on my first visit, to go when it's all but vacant, just to look around and get my bearings.

The Venkateswara temple looks a good bit more formal than the Shiva Vishnu temple in just looking at online pictures.
I think that would be an accurate assessment. More likely to enforce rules like no hats, and remain quiet. But in that sense the first one would be better at a quiet time. If you go in a crowd, they may well all be talking all the time, which is also annoying for the serious bhaktar.

agorman

Premium Member
If you are using Religion, spiritual methods or pray or even om to gain wealth, your going to be waiting a very long time.

I started writing so much as an answer to you, that I've started a new thread!

What spiritual practice did you try for wealth? What were the results?

That is like the misguided souls that ask Buddhist monks for lucky numbers to buy lotto tickets every week for 30 years and still miserably havnt win.

Had they have gone to the Temple for the right reason they would be so happy wealth would not be an issue.

Wealth or at least supply will be always an issue, as long as you live here on the physical plane. Unless you're SO spiritually advanced you have the power to materialize food and drink; multiply fishes and bread like Jesus supposedly did, etc. But at that level I think living here has sense only to work as a master.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Unless you're SO spiritually advanced you have the power to materialize food and drink; multiply fishes and bread like Jesus supposedly did, etc. But at that level I think living here has sense only to work as a master.
:) That is not Buddhism. That is Vodun, black magic.