• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of just using Om for everything?

ManSinha

I find it hard to keep myself in some Hinduism because I don't feel at home with the culture.

Then all I can say is this - use your wisdom and pick and choose what works for you - my understanding is that if you follow that path - you should be good ... :)

ManSinha

those who are culturally Hindu do their best to make one feel right at home

That is perhaps a topic for another discussion in and of itself - but until recently my understanding was "One could not become a Hindu" - actually had that discussion with a Jain from my school WhatsApp group - and I pointed it out as a flaw in the understanding of the "rules" - why close a good thing off to only those born into it - it is one recipe for making the group smaller over time

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is perhaps a topic for another discussion in and of itself - but until recently my understanding was "One could not become a Hindu" - actually had that discussion with a Jain from my school WhatsApp group - and I pointed it out as a flaw in the understanding of the "rules" - why close a good thing off to only those born into it - it is one recipe for making the group smaller over time

That's a misunderstanding for sure. A few people still have it. But fact is hundreds, if not thousands of people have become Hindu. I'm one of them. I suppose there re a few people who wouldn't accept m, but he vast majority does. I've been to probably a hundred temples world-wide, maybe more. Has never been a problem. Aum

ManSinha

That's a misunderstanding for sure. A few people still have it. But fact is hundreds, if not thousands of people have become Hindu. I'm one of them. I suppose there re a few people who wouldn't accept m, but he vast majority does. I've been to probably a hundred temples world-wide, maybe more. Has never been a problem. Aum

And as you know - so do the Sikhs - you can walk into any temple - as long you cover your head and take off your shoes - they are "person blind" to coin a phrase as to who you are, how you look and what you believe. You are welcome to sit and listen, join in or eat along with the others :)

I have (unfortunately) had a raging debate with some leaders from my community who want everyone to be the Khalsa -

I am BUT here is my take -

1. It is not for everyone - in fact in 1699 Guru Gobind Singh asked for "heads" as the entry ticket - that is a pretty darn stiff price to pay
2. When he left - he asked people to follow the SGGS - which makes no distinctions between anyone
3. I am diverting the topic so before @SalixIncendium comes along and asks me to move along - I shall shut up :hand:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
3. I am diverting the topic so before SalixIncendium comes along and asks me to move along - I shall shut up :hand:
Man, we generlly don't do that here. So feel at home. Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and Sikh gurus are venerable for us too. :)

BTW, my son has sung 'shabads' at Darbar Sahib as well as Bangla Sahib.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I struggled with this myself for some time, but as it turns out, at least in my experience, those who are culturally Hindu do their best to make one feel right at home. :)

I've been going to my temple since 2012... Tuesday May 23, 2012 just before 6 pm, to be precise. From the moment I walked in and greeted the people at the front desk I was welcomed. There have been a few times my own insecurities have made me think "I don't belong here", or I thought I was getting a look of "what are you doing here?". But I think the problem is mine, and the feeling doesn't last.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've been going to my temple since 2012... Tuesday May 23, 2012 just before 6 pm, to be precise. From the moment I walked in and greeted the people at the front desk I was welcomed. There have been a few times my own insecurities have made me think "I don't belong here", or I thought I was getting a look of "what are you doing here?". But I think the problem is mine, and the feeling doesn't last.
That long, eh? Gosh time flies.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The darshan of a Hindu temple is all you really need. Excellent valium substitute.

Yes, indeed. :)

I haven't been there but 3 times in the past 2-3 months for the simple reason I can't get there at night anymore after work. My dog was diagnosed diabetic in December and is also now blind. So, I have to get home to feed her and giver her insulin injection on schedule. I can teach the husband to do it, I've just been putting it off. I've started making time on Sundays, if not the morning for the Ganesha abhishekam, then at least later on just for darshan.

Anyway, it's a strange feeling that even after only a week of not being there you feel like you've gotten oxygen after being locked in a refrigerator. One of the young priests I hadn't seen in all that time came over to me, smiled and asked how everything is. A man I see there regularly was also at the Ganesha shrine and motioned to me to stand in front of him so I could see, since I'm short. I thought that was very nice. Makes ya feel good.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, indeed. :)

I haven't been there but 3 times in the past 2-3 months for the simple reason I can't get there at night anymore after work. My dog was diagnosed diabetic in December and is also now blind. So, I have to get home to feed her and giver her insulin injection on schedule. I can teach the husband to do it, I've just been putting it off. I've started making time on Sundays, if not the morning for the Ganesha abhishekam, then at least later on just for darshan.

Anyway, it's a strange feeling that even after only a week of not being there you feel like you've gotten oxygen after being locked in a refrigerator. One of the young priests I hadn't seen in all that time came over to me, smiled and asked how everything is. A man I see there regularly was also at the Ganesha shrine and motioned to me to stand in front of him so I could see, since I'm short. I thought that was very nice. Makes ya feel good.

Sorry to hear about the dog. Diabetes is rough on eyes of all species.

Boss and me always feel tired (relaxed tired) when we come home. It's the peace of the situation. Easy to have a short nap after. Yes I know the feeling, I get the temple 'itch' after about 10 days. One can also have the opposite ...' templed out'. That happens here during the 10 day festival, or while on pilgrimage. Once or twice a week is ideal for me.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
One can also have the opposite ...' templed out'.

Yeah, we've talked about that... something I'm prone to. Maybe it's too much energy or jumbled energy especially in a large temple with a large crowd. Yesterday was quite busy with two or three groups of school age kids being given a tour and lessons by the manager at each sanctum. I found it quite nice, there was a certain energy that wasn't jumbled. I've found the balance of once or twice a week at most is good.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
3. I am diverting the topic so before @SalixIncendium comes along and asks me to move along - I shall shut up :hand:

Salix wouldn't do that. We've been known to go off on a tangent or two in this DIR.

I would hope I don't come across as that militant. If I do, I guess I need to do a bit of introspection.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

I still have yet to go to one. It's less about feeling insecure about belonging than it is about being more comfortable practicing alone. Not to say that the insecurity doesn't play a part. Knowing what to wear, what to do, etc.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I was merely trying to be funny after you needled me about all things in small measure with the smoking comment :D

Good. I was hoping you didn't think me to be a total jerk after that exchange. :)