• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of just using Om for everything?

agorman

Premium Member
I'm tired of my spiritual quest after 15 years of reading, dealing with the gods, with different cultures, etc. And although I have discovered some very useful things, solved some problems and got the answers to many questions, my life hasn't improved very much; especially on the financial side.

I've recently noticed repeating "Om" and then saying something, emits energy. Very much like "I am" affirmations as "I am health", etc. but I'd say "Om health". So it doesn't need to be in sanskrit like "Om shanti shanti shantihi".

What do you think of just using "Om" to get everything? Health, wealth, wisdom, etc. After all, the state of your mind and your life depends on the energy you emit.

My only doubt is who would be my guide. But maybe guiding spirits will come by themselves if I need one and I'm prepared for what he or she says.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What do you think of just using "Om" to get everything? Health, wealth, wisdom, etc. After all, the state of your mind and your life depends on the energy you emit.
Individual choices. I don't because it is not mentioned in RigVeda. I do not lack any energy because of that.

ajay0

I'm tired of my spiritual quest after 15 years of reading, dealing with the gods, with different cultures, etc. And although I have discovered some very useful things, solved some problems and got the answers to many questions, my life hasn't improved very much; especially on the financial side.

I've recently noticed repeating "Om" and then saying something, emits energy.

Yeah, chanting Om increases the prana or chi or life-force. It is a good practice for overall health as well.

I have read of a man in China who cured himself of his highly diseased state by consistent chanting of Om for three years.

Here is an article on the health benefits of Om chanting.

Shantanu

I've recently noticed repeating "Om" and then saying something, emits energy. Very much like "I am" affirmations as "I am health", etc. but I'd say "Om health". So it doesn't need to be in sanskrit like "Om shanti shanti shantihi".

My only doubt is who would be my guide. But maybe guiding spirits will come by themselves if I need one and I'm prepared for what he or she says.
The point arrives when one needs to detach oneself from all pre-existing realities and review what we are. We cannot erase history but must look forward to a fresh new future.

You seem to have arrived at that point. Om is as good a starting point as any. It means you acknowledge a higher power. Once a person's material objectives are completed, it is a time for unattached reflection on the truth. That is what Om represents to me.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
I start all my chants with "OM". Simply saying OM is fine to me, but it seems like a waste to not sing beautiful mantras after. But to each his own. :)

Shantanu

@Aupmanyav guruji

God did not meet my requirements of what a God should be like, please advise me if I should now go as an atheist like yourself?

ManSinha

IMHO, one can be an atheist but one should not rebel against 'dharma'. To rebel against Gods will be 'adharma' in Hinduism. :)

I think our God is way above anyone rebelling - like an adult that smiles indulgently when a child throws a tantrum

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Agree with you, for me too, it is Ram.
"Tulsi mastak tab nave, jab dhanush ban lo hath."
(Tulsi will bow his head, only when you take the bow and arrows in your hand)

agorman

Premium Member
It means you acknowledge a higher power. Once a person's material objectives are completed, it is a time for unattached reflection on the truth. That is what Om represents to me.

Well I meant to use it to also achieve material objectives. After all Om is supposed to activate all chakras.

You can use Om if that works for you - personally I prefer Ram

I've already tried worshipping Rama, but seems my love for Celtic culture interferes. I started getting a lot of energy and a health benefit while reciting, then after a few days I got nothing. It was like Rama was gone.

What happened yesterday to me maybe gives me a better hint of why he left. I fell in a light trance meditating with Om mani padme hum and was guided by Kwan Yin to the Left Hand Path. She told me "You don't want to tread a path of self-sacrifice for your neighbour as a way to advance". So I'm with Satan again. But I feel He's just a dark aspect of Shiva; not the god of Evil. Satan himself (yeah the red guy with horns) told me in a dream "Don't be scared, I am Shiva". Anyway Om as a way to emit energy is pretty good. I wonder what will happen if I recite the Om nama Shivaya while I have Satan on my altar (I've read some people do it)... Maybe my path will be a mixture of Western and Eastern methods... I'll have to keep experimenting.

Anyway you can see I find it really hard to "escape" from at least some Hinduist practice or some form of Buddhism when it's about having advanced spiritual progress. All other paths seem to go around or teach in codes what Indian sages have already taught in a direct way.

ManSinha

I've already tried worshipping Rama

Well the SGGS uses Ram amongst other names for the Universal Lord - the one that Mahadev and Vishnu are part of - it not of necessity referring to Ramchandra of Ayodhya

upload_2019-3-17_8-54-10.png

I find it really hard to "escape" from at least some Hinduist practice or some form of Buddhism when it's about having advanced spiritual progress

And you know the straightforward answer to that - don't you? - namely one cannot "escape" the real truth when in pursuit of the divine -

All other paths seem to go around or teach in codes what Indian sages have already taught in a direct way.

Yes to some extent - but the Indian teachers never said - to the best of my knowledge - "my way or the highway"

agorman

Premium Member
And you know the straightforward answer to that - don't you? - namely one cannot "escape" the real truth when in pursuit of the divine -

Yes you can't escape the truth, but my problem is on one hand I deeply admire Hindu knowledge but on the other I find it hard to keep myself in some Hinduism because I don't feel at home with the culture.

Yes to some extent - but the Indian teachers never said - to the best of my knowledge - "my way or the highway"

Yes in general they don't, except for some cult member fanatics.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes you can't escape the truth, but my problem is on one hand I deeply admire Hindu knowledge but on the other I find it hard to keep myself in some Hinduism because I don't feel at home with the culture.

I struggled with this myself for some time, but as it turns out, at least in my experience, those who are culturally Hindu do their best to make one feel right at home. :)