• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of Galatians 5:16-21 And Isaiah 47:1-15?What do you think it says about magic?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
What do you think of Galatians 5:16-21 And Isaiah 47:1-15?What do you think it says about magic?

Galatians 5:16-22...
"16 But I say, Keep walking by spirit and you will carry out no fleshly desire at all. 17 For the flesh is against the spirit in its desire, and the spirit against the flesh; these are opposed to each other, so that you do not do the very things you want to do. 18 Furthermore, if you are being led by spirit, you are not under law.
19 Now the works of the flesh are plainly seen, and they are sexual immorality, uncleanness, brazen conduct, 20 idolatry, spiritism, hostility, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, dissensions, divisions, sects, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and things like these. I am forewarning you about these things, the same way I already warned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s Kingdom."

This clearly states that those who practice spiritism are as condemned as the sexually immoral...the drunkards and those who indulge in any conduct that is specifically condemned in the Bible. Those who have God's spirit will fare better than those who give in to the "works of the flesh".

Paul goes on to contrast these with the fruits of God's spirit....

"On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, 23 mildness, self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Moreover, those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed to the stake the flesh together with its passions and desires.

25 If we are living by spirit, let us also go on walking orderly by spirit. 26 Let us not become egotistical, stirring up competition with one another, envying one another."

That is very good advice.

As for Isaiah 47:1-15...
This is God's judgment against the Babylonian world power who held his people captive for 70 years.

In verses 9-11 it says...
"But these two things will come upon you suddenly, in one day:
Loss of children and widowhood.
In full measure they will come upon you
Because of your many sorceries and all your powerful spells.
10 You trusted in your wickedness.
You said: “No one sees me.”
Your wisdom and knowledge are what led you astray,
And you say in your heart: “I am the one, and there is no one else.”
11 But calamity will come upon you,
And none of your charms will stop it.
Adversity will befall you; you will not be able to avert it.
Sudden ruin will come upon you like you have never known."

God foretold destruction for ancient Babylon....and that is what happened.

The "greater Babylon" is spoken about in Revelation 17.....is portrayed as a harlot, riding a wild beast....

"And he carried me away in the power of the spirit into a wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet-colored wild beast that was full of blasphemous names and that had seven heads and ten horns. 4 The woman was clothed in purple and scarlet, and she was adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, and she had in her hand a golden cup that was full of disgusting things and the unclean things of her sexual immorality. 5 On her forehead was written a name, a mystery: “Babylon the Great, the mother of the prostitutes and of the disgusting things of the earth.” 6 And I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the holy ones and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus."

This harlot is identified as a false religious entity who has a "kingdom over the Kings of the earth". (V 18)
She has influenced and supported satan's rulership by influencing her political lovers to persecute the true disciples of Jesus. She has resorted to demonic practices which she thinks that no one sees...but Jehovah does.

God issues a warning....."Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. 5 For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven, and God has called her acts of injustice to mind. 6 Repay her in the way she treated others, yes, pay her back double for the things she has done; in the cup she has mixed, mix a double portion for her. 7 To the extent that she glorified herself and lived in shameless luxury, to that extent give her torment and mourning. For she keeps saying in her heart: ‘I sit as queen, and I am not a widow, and I will never see mourning.’ 8 That is why in one day her plagues will come, death and mourning and famine, and she will be completely burned with fire, because Jehovah God, who judged her, is strong." (Revelation 18:4-8)

He demise will be swift.....
"And a strong angel lifted up a stone like a great millstone and hurled it into the sea, saying: “Thus with a swift pitch will Babylon the great city be hurled down, and she will never be found again. 22 And the sound of singers who accompany themselves on the harp, of musicians, of flutists, and of trumpeters will never be heard in you again. . . . .and no voice of a bridegroom and of a bride will ever be heard in you again; for your merchants were the top-ranking men of the earth, and by your spiritistic practices all the nations were misled. 24 Yes, in her was found the blood of prophets and of holy ones and of all those who have been slaughtered on the earth.” (Revelation 18:21-24)

We do not believe that this judgment is far away.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think it is a polemic against a collection of practices termed magic. I’m not sure if the ancients saw such practices as real or fake magic.