• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you think of cryonics?

St Giordano Bruno

What do you think of the belief in cryonic suspension? Do you think it is a complete waste of time and a form of pseudo-science? or an extreme form of snake oil salesmanship posing as scientists as I do?
Would you consider getting yourself frozen?
Or would you consider having it done if it was free?
As a humanist or atheist do you think this form of false hope is any better than the false hope of going to heaven?

Midnight Pete

What do you think of the belief in cryonic suspension? Do you think it is a complete waste of time and a form of pseudo-science? or an extreme form of snake oil salesmanship posing as scientists as I do?
As a humanist or atheist do you think this form of false hope is any better than the false hope of going to heaven?

Cryonics is a form of afterlife for those who do not believe in anything supernatural and are willing to have their corpses frozen shortly after they die. Whether or not they will ever wake up to a world ruled by logic and the scientific method is another concern. Freezing a human being is not the hard part. Thawing one out --alive and undamaged-- is the hard part.

Last edited:

Jevam

Freezing a human being is not the hard part. Thawing one out --alive and undamaged-- is the hard part.

They might be forgotten about once the technology is invented that can do such a thing, which could even take centuries. I mean, by 2300 the cryogenics company would have gone through generations of completely new employees/management, or the company itself could even go bankrupt. Then what? A business is risky, it could go bankrupt and shut down unexpectedly within a decade.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

I think it is fine, personally, I was thinking about it once, not sure or care anymore.

I would totally consider it if it were free.

Today, I stand in a pessimistic view of society, thinking it is breaking down, so I'm not sure anymore if I think future science will or will not invent ways to make our brain chemicals begin working again, but once they start the heart that will start the lungs, and your first few breaths will start the brain.

I think it is indeed possible, but as I am pessimistic about our future, I'm just not sure. It doesn't hurt to try, right? What else are you going to use the money for? You're dead...

Silver

Just maybe
...... Freezing a human being is not the hard part. Thawing one out --alive and undamaged-- is the hard part.

What if you had a high resolution brain scan just before getting cryonically suspended.
Then the 'thawing out damage' could be 'healed' (fixed) by reference to the brain scan.

If the brain scan was of high enough resolution perhaps a computer could simulate you.
You wouldn't need the dead body anymore.

:run:Silver

glyphkenn

I think all our dreams of living for ever will be pointless . if it is ever achieved , suicide rate will skyrocket . We will want and need to die just like we want and need sleep.

no-body

Like transhumanism it sounds like a waste of time because who "we" are is a nebulous illusion to begin with. You will only have the illusion of immortality. But I guess that is what the ego ultimately wants anyway so win-win? (if you can afford it)

To be downloaded and saved into a collective humanity disc sounds pretty cool though. Not so much having my rotting meat head thawed out and all the cells and memories duplicated into a new body.

ScottySatan

I question the motivation of people in the future to go thoguh the great expense of reviving and restoring you in a world that will most likely have a worse population problem than we have now.

Second, I question whether most governments would have it legal.